Runlevels in Unix..

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Runlevels in Unix..
# 1  
Old 01-24-2009
Runlevels in Unix..

Hello All,

I'm a new user to HP-Unix, Aix, Solaris. I know something about Linux. I would like to know, how many run levels are there in Unix, Aix & Solaris? As far as Linux is concerned, there are 7 run levels (0-6).

Can some body help me in this, with the brief information about all the run levels?

e.g. Linux -

0 - Shutdown/Halt
1 - Single user mode
2 - Multiuser without networking
3 - Multiuser with networking & NFS
4 - Not Used
5 - Graphical
6 - Reboot.

Is the file for configuration same as in Linux - /etc/inittab ?

Your help is appreciated.
# 2  
Old 01-24-2009
read the manpage of the command "init".
# 3  
Old 01-24-2009
Thank you,

I will try this.
# 4  
Old 01-24-2009
Run levels for Solaris are a little different:

S/s - single-user mode
0 - ok> prompt
2 - multi-user without some network services like NFS
3 - default run level
4 - undefined
5 - shutdown
6 - reboot
# 5  
Old 01-25-2009
Does that mean, the runlevels of HP-Unix & AIX are sme as mentioned above for Linux?
One more thing would like to know, how to boot the server in singlt user mode in HP-Unix?
Thanks the information.
# 6  
Old 01-26-2009
During HP-UX startup you will be asked if you want to interrupt the boot sequence. Type:

Code:
bo pri

Make sure you press 'y' when asked if you want to interact with the ISL. Then type:

Code:
hpux -is

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Transfer from Window server to UNIX and UNIX to UNIX

Dear All, Can someone help to command or program to transfer the file from windows to Unix server and from one unix server to another Unix server in secure way. I would request no samba client. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch job in unix server to move the pdf file from unix to windows.

Hi Experts, I have a requirement where i need to setup a batch job which runs everymonth and move the pdf files from unix server to windows servers. Could some body provide the inputs for this. and also please provide the inputs on how to map the network dirve in the unix like that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ger199901
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Query related to runlevels and milestones

Hi friends.. Please clarify my follg doubts: 1. I can easily switch from runlevel 1 to runlevel 2 or 3 by means of init 2 or init 3 commands. I can even get a gui login screen when i do an init 3 from runlevel1. 2.But suppose if I am in GUI and switched to single-user milestone by means of ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saagar
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Queries related to runlevels and fdisk utility...

Hello friends.. I have 2 doubts as follows: 1.What is the difference between init s (single user mode), init S (single user mode), init 1 (single user mode), and again failsafe mode. As far as I have seen, init s and init 1 does the same thing: putting the system in maintenance mode asking for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saagar
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP script for sending a file from one unix directory to another unix server director

Hi, My local server is :/usr/abcd/ Remote server is :/Usr/host/test/ I want to send files from local unix directory(All files starting with O_999) to remote host unix directory. Can any body give me the Unix Shell script to do this. One more doubt: Shall we need to change the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raja_1234
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

missing Path(in UNIX) when i launch a job on to unix machine using windows SSh

hi i want run an unix application from a windows program/application.i am using SSH(command line version)to log on to a unix machine from windows. the application has to read a configuration file inorder to run. the configuration file .CFG is in bin in my home directory. but the application... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megastar
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX problem? Unix programm runs windows 2000 CPU over 100%

Okee problems...!! What is happening: Unix server with some programms, workstations are windows 2000, the workstations work good but when you start a programm on the Unix server the CPU of the workstations go to 100% usage resulting that the system gets very slow. The programm well its running so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerocool
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question