Brand new user!

Top Forums Programming Brand new user!
# 1  
Old 10-07-2002
Tools Brand new user!

Hi everyone!!! Smilie
I just want to say that I'm a new user of Unix, about 6 weeks. I'm taking a Programming and Logic course at a school in New York State, and we use Unix to operate Emacs, our code editor. I'm also taking a course called Unix Operating System. To be perfectly honest, I don't really understand everything, but I'm having fun learning!!! For my Unix class, we have to write a paper on 5 Unix resources and tell how we think they will help the average user learn about the Unix Operating System. So far, I think this is a great site because I can read about other peoples' experiences, not just commands out of a textbook. Drop me a line, I would write to you, but I dont know how!! (Yet!!!!)

-Laura Smilie Smilie Smilie
# 2  
Old 10-07-2002
Another question!!!!

I don't know why I can't send PMs to anyone off my buddy list or Emails to anyone from their profile. I haven't talked to anyone yet, and this is only the second message I've posted, so I don't know if it's because I haven't talked to anyone yet, or what. Because I just got random handle names and email addresses from clicking and reading previous posts. Please someone get back to me! Thanks!1

-Laura Smilie Smilie
# 3  
Old 10-07-2002
Suggest you read the rules of the forum here and then you will start to understand.

And welcome to the world of UNIX.
# 4  
Old 10-07-2002
Welcome to our forums! Smilie

I have merged your two threads into one.

RTM was right to refer you to our rules. But the rules were moved to the "Unix for Dummies Questions and Answers" forum. Click here to see them. And you should read the discussions of the rules in the rules forum as well.

Private Messaging has been disabled. Email to users should be possible, but each user must enable this. Even if it is enabled, email should be used very sparingly, if at all. As per our rules, the intent is public Question and Answer so that other folks with the same problems can also view what's being discussed. We are always glad to see newcomers studying unix. But there are thousands of students who are starting to study unix and who are just as enthusiastic as you. We cannot accept private email from all of them.

And finally remember that our rules prohibit us from doing your homework for you.

Sorry to be a drag and bring up all these rules, but it's part of my job as a moderator. Smilie
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

What brand is your primary computer?

A poll is added. Please vote and share your experiences. :b: If you select option: Other Brand then please post the brand name (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoda
22 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

brand new user!.. Lost on BASH script writing

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have just gotten into writing bash scripts for a class, part of the assignment is to read and be able to tell... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Byrang
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Brand New Me

Hello all. Can someone help. I am a non-Unix person in everyway- I deal more with the company backups etc. I have been asked to start learning Unix and have been asked to get myself on a course and obtain material. I live in the Nottingham area in UK- can anyone suggest a good 3-5 day course -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: WaqarShah
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Totally brand new to CRON

hi there i am very new to the world of CRON. i would like to know from below the ground up how i can learn abouot cron. where the best tutorials lie. i have an assignment that requires i set up a cron job to download a price file. am i in control of where the price file is downloaded to? (eg to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: buzzby
2 Replies

5. Solaris

brand names

how to get the disks brand names? NIC brand names? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 10 sys-unconfig issue (brand new user)

ok, Newbie here..... I just installed this solaris 10 for a class I'm taking. We couldn't figure out how to change the IP so we were told to just do it from the sys-uncofig process. Well, after I did that, I lost the GUI witch isn't all that bad cuz I want to learn the cli anyways, but I keep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moesays
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question