Linux is Unix???

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Linux is Unix???
# 1  
Old 05-16-2002
Linux is Unix???

Could anyone explain if Linux is Unix? I'm a newbie here, just installed Oracle 8i on Redhat 7.2.
# 2  
Old 05-16-2002
Yes Linux is Unix. Linux is created by Linus Trovald with the help of many contributors and helpers all over the Internet. Linux is one of Unix variant. Infact you can see many components (Software/Programs) are similar among other variant of Unix's
# 3  
Old 05-16-2002
Thx, I have to get starting for Unix due to Oracle system. Is Sun Solaris nice?
# 4  
Old 05-16-2002
Depends, on how you get on it. But for solaris the h/ware specs are diffrent. Anyway Solaris are capable for doing many things too same like other unix variants. All depends on how we get used to it thats it.. you will fly with it as soon as you familiar..

Smilie
# 5  
Old 05-16-2002
I suggest sticking with RedHat, it has a better user interface, and is much more user friendly. Remeber- Linux is just another flavour of unix (i.e.: OS X, BSD, etc...). The kernel for Linux was just made by Mr. Torvalds, who currently heads the largest Linux core development team, Open Source, of course.
boris888

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

YouTube: Forum Moderation @UNIX.com | The UNIX and Linux Forums

Forum Moderation @UNIX.com | The UNIX and Linux Forums https://youtu.be/WGwgibE4Rq0 Also note: In the video I mentioned removing legacy menu items in the ModCP which are unused. I have already "CSS'ed out" the unused menu items: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

VIP Membership - The UNIX and Linux Forums - Get Your UNIX.COM Email Address Here

We work hard to make The UNIX and Linux Forums one of the best UNIX and Linux knowledge sources on the net. The site is certainly one of the top UNIX and Linux Q&A sites on the web. In order to provide certain members the best quality account services, you can now get some great extra features by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies

3. Fedora

Which is the better platform to learn UNIX/Linux (Kali Linux Vs. Red Hat or other)?

I just started a new semester and I started my UNIX class yesterday. I've already decided to use python along with my learning process but what I really want to use with it is Kali as my UNIX/Linux platform to learn off of since I already wanted to learn Cyber Sec. anyways. I just wanted to know if... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ApacheOmega
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix vs Linux

why would one choose unix over linux? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lizzy
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix on linux

hi all, i have a linux operating system...can i practice unix commands on linux system....there is any changes in the commands.....can any one post some meterial.. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhu_msinus@ya
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix to LINUX

quick question that may bring long answers :) I am currently looking into porting an existing Recital system from Unix to Linux. possibly not a good idea :) Basically; Would i be better shooting myself in the foot now? or do you know if there would be a fair expense due to buying Linux and the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kuz972
0 Replies

7. Linux

UNIX and LINUX

Hey there, new to the forum :) Im currently at university studying UNIX, but i need some help. Can someone help me out with operational / technical differences between the two? Even if You just give me some topics i can go research them... much appreciated Josh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kiwi_bloke
1 Replies

8. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

What is unix and is linux a unix system

Unix is the name of an operating system. And unix is a registered trademark. This is what makes things murky. One of my favorite books is The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD UNIX Operating System. That book is out of print, but a newer book is available: The Design and Implementation... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX VS. Linux

Aahhhh!! I am so much frustrated trying to recover my superuser account. I need help!!! Please can anyone tell me how to recover a the root account? Thank you in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pnoi_blitz
1 Replies

10. Where do I download LINUX & UNIX?

where is unix or linux?

this is going to sound really stupid, but i am new to unix and only have a tiny bit of experience with it such as typing in commands. that's about it. where can i get a copy of the unix software? isn't free to download somewhere? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crimzon
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question