Athlon XP + Linux/Unix? and RAM Question

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Athlon XP + Linux/Unix? and RAM Question
# 1  
Old 02-05-2002
Athlon XP + Linux/Unix? and RAM Question

Has anyone had any experience with this new processor and its compatability with Linux/Unix? How did it preform comared to regular Athlons and P4's?

I also have one other question. I plan on buying a new dell and fiddling left and right with it. Which type of RAM is better, RDRAM or DDRRAM? Explain plz.

Thanks alot guys!

KypeN

Gateway Essencial 550
Pentium III 550mHz
320 Meg of 133mHz SDRAM
14.3 Gig Hard drive
32 Meg nVidia TNT2 Video Card
Sound Blaster Sound Card

Last edited by KyPeN; 02-05-2002 at 02:28 PM..
# 2  
Old 02-06-2002
Well, RD is PC-800 where DDR is probably only going to be PC-266(or 233), so the RD is a lot faster. I bought my PC in July(needed for school and as soon as I bought the price of everything in it plummertedSmilie so RD was out of the question. If you can afford to put RD in your computer I would strongly recommend it. You may also want to check out www.ibuypower.com before buying a PC. They custom build every system and are the cheapest place I've ever seen for building a PC, especially if you want something thats top of the line.
# 3  
Old 02-06-2002
whoa whoa whoa... back up the train... RD Ram is NOT faster than DDR... DDR = Double Data Rate... meaning it uses both sides of the clock cycle to process commands.. DDR is PC1600/PC2100, etc... the numbers (200, 266) refer to FSB..

Don't waste your money on RD... it's not worth it. Go with DDR... I'm using DDR in my machine and haven't had any problems.

I can't help you with the processor stuff tho... I only have a 1.2 GHz Athlon Thunderbird...
# 4  
Old 02-06-2002
Sorry for this shameless plug, but try looking at

www.tomshardware.com

This should fill you in a little.

At current rates the Athlon DDR combo is the cheapest (and only a tiny little bit behind Intel's latest processors [Northwood core]).

the 2000+ (1.67 GHz [i think]) athlon is faster and cheaper than a 2GHz P4 (with the Willamette core).

Remember there are two types of P4 on the market, the Willamette core (1GHz to 2GHz) and the Northwood core (2GHz +)

Its worthwile noting that the the northwood core is intels latest - so the system is more likley (if they stop changing the sockets) to be upgradeable, but AMD are designing a new Athlon core to keep up so it may not be as upgradable.

For my money - Athlon DDR.

Warrend

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

root cannot write to Linux RAM

void main() { long ((long)(&array)); int x; for (;;) { (array) =+ 1023; printf("%c", array); } } What is wrong with this code to print Linux RAM? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alux
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX/Linux interview question

Hi, I went for an interview this morning. The questions I was asked.... 1. On Redhat, you have downloaded a program called XYZ. You did all kinds update to this program. Now you are ready to move this to production. How would you do it? He already said he doesn't want to use "tar &... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

random RAM question

Random question. 32 bit windows can't address more the 4 gb of RAM, right. So if you have 4gb of “normal” RAM and 1 gb graphics card window only find 3gb of “normal” ram + your graphics card following on from this If you where to put 2 graphics card with 2gb of ram on them each,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: THM
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

red hat Linux 5.0 is detecting 3gb ram but physical ram is 16gb

Hi, On server 64bit Hw Arch , Linux 5.0(32bit) is installed it is showing only 3gb of ram though physical is 16gb can u give me idea why? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the RAM size for an Linux server.

Hi Gurus, Can someone let me know how to find the RAM size,ROM size and Number of processors for a linux server. Version :Linux 2.4.9-e.57smp Also what does "e.57smp" stands for? Thanks in advance gurus..... cheers. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
3 Replies

6. Debian

what is the best linux ver for p100 16 ram

Hello all i own p100 16ram laptop , i would like to run linux on it i need it for gcc compilation and shell scripting , no gui. what version of linux should i install , i dont mind to install old one . tnx allot (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
5 Replies

7. Linux Benchmarks

Athlon XP 1600+

System Notes: CPU/Speed: AMD Athlon 1600+ 1.4Ghz Ram: 768 MO DDR 333 PC2100 Motherboard: KG-7 Bus: PCI Cache: 512KB HD Controller: ? Benchmarks: ============================================================== BYTE UNIX... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: GuizZzmo
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing unix on a amd athlon processor

I just need a simple answer on if installing unix on a pc using an AMD processor instead of Intel is going to be a problem. Thank you one and all. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frznmeatcicle
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How much RAM does RH Linux need?

I wish to install Red Hat linux 7.1 on a machine with 16mb of EDO Ram. When I enter the instalation process I am told 'You do not have enough memory'. Is there a way to install RHL with only the 16? Or will I have to upgrade and buy some very expensive EDO. ~ Paul (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KrazyGuyPaul
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question