Please Help!!!!

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Please Help!!!!
# 1  
Old 10-06-2004
Please Help!!!!

I am new to all this Unix & Linux things, can somebody please tell me, is there a diff between Linux and Unix , or is it the same thing ( Programs) ?

Thanks,

Smilie

Last edited by Polymorphous; 10-06-2004 at 02:22 PM..
# 2  
Old 10-06-2004
Please read the rules

This post will answer your question.
# 3  
Old 10-06-2004
Thanx

Thanx very much Smilie

The info you have given me really helps alot.
Thanks again for your input and ooops!
...I have another question:
what should I learn first unix or linux?
They say linux is a free operating system and i should be able to get it from the internet, say isn't unix a free operating system as well?

Thanx again...

aka Polymorphous

Last edited by Polymorphous; 10-06-2004 at 03:37 PM..
# 4  
Old 10-06-2004
Quote:
The name itself is a pun on Multics - Multics stands for ``Multiplexed Information and Computiny Service'', whereas ``Unics'' (later intentionally misspelled as ``Unix'') stands for ``Uniplexed Information and Computing Service''. This is because the system at first only supported a single user at a time.
That's not true. From the very beginning Unix was multi-user. The first implentation supported two simultaneous users.

From The Evolution of the UNIX Time-sharing System by D. M. Ritchie in the October, 1984 issue of the AT&T Bell Laboratories Technical Journal:
Quote:
Processes (independently executing entities) existed very early in PDP-7 UNIX. There were in fact precisely precisely two of them, one for each of the two terminals attached to the machine. There was no fork, wait, or exec. There was an exit, but it's meaning was rather different, as will be seen.
I love rereading these old papers. Every page is a gem. Driver, you'll love this quote... From Unix Time-Sharing System: A Retrospective by D. M. Ritchie in the July-August 1978 issue of the AT&T Bell Laboratories Technical Journal:
Quote:
One Problem in discussing the capabilities and deficiencies of UNIX is that there is no unique version of the system. It has evolved continuously both in time, and new functions are added and old problems repaired, and in space, as various organizations add features intended to meet their own needs. Four important versions of the unix system are in current use:
  • The standard system maintained by the Unix Support Group at Bell Laboratories for Bell System projects.
  • The "Programmer's Workbench" version, also in wide use within Bell Laboratories, especially in areas in which text-processing and job-entry to other machines are important. Recently PWB/UNIX has become available to outside organizations as well.
  • The "Sixth Edition" system (so called from the manual that describes it), which is most widely used under Western Electric licenses by organizations outside the Bell System.
  • The version currently used in the Computing Science Research Center, where the UNIX system was developed, and at a few other locations at Bell Laboratories
# 5  
Old 10-07-2004
Thanks !

Wow !
Driver you could be a Professor ! Smilie
Thanks very much ( Guys ) I've got no doubts now and you may bet , it really helped me a lot !...
Well I'll put it on my own words as I understood unix is a set of computer programs, right? for exemple : Linux, Solaris and other X/open group...

anyway, this is just I defenition that I made up, I really understood ,@ least I think I did !

Thanks again.

aka Polymorphous

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread
Login or Register to Ask a Question