DHCP config issue?

Special Forums IP Networking DHCP config issue?
# 1  
Old 04-20-2010
DHCP config issue?

I searched the forum and found a similar question (dhcpd-related questions), but my config is already utilizing the suggested fix... Smilie

My setup:

Code:
eth0 connected to Motorola DSL Modem via bridged mode (giving the public IP to the interface), IP configured DHCP.
eth1 connected to my local network handing out IPs with dhcpd listening only on eth1 (DHCPDARGS=eth1). Configured with static IP 192.168.1.1

However, I get these log entries in my messages log:

Code:
Apr 20 15:25:17 VSO_server dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 192.168.1.254 port 67
Apr 20 15:25:17 VSO_server dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 69.151.172.161 from 00:40:ca:4c:4f:d6 via eth1: unknown lease 69.151.172.161.
Apr 20 15:25:37 VSO_server dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 192.168.1.254 port 67
Apr 20 15:25:37 VSO_server dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 69.151.172.161 from 00:40:ca:4c:4f:d6 via eth1: unknown lease 69.151.172.161.
Apr 20 15:25:57 VSO_server dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 192.168.1.254 port 67
Apr 20 15:25:57 VSO_server dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 69.151.172.161 from 00:40:ca:4c:4f:d6 via eth1: unknown lease 69.151.172.161.

It seems my external interface is requesting a public IP from my internal interface, and of course NAKs it because the IP is not in it's range...

Does this happen because the default IP of the modem is 192.168.1.254?

What is wrong? How can I stop this? Hoping not to have to renumber my local network...

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Last edited by Scott; 04-20-2010 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: Code tags
# 2  
Old 04-28-2010
Okay... So I worked on this a little more...

Earlier I said that the modem was set in "bridged mode", but in actuality it was in "IP pass-through mode" giving the public IP to the external interface. Since the default IP of the Motorola 2210 is 192.168.1.254, it was requesting the DHCP address and since the routing of the server knows that the internal interface is on 192.168.1.x, well, my situation...

My solution was to set the PPP Location (the newer 2210's don't have a ethernet bridge mode) from internal to "on computer or external router. I then configured PPPoE on the external interface of the server to initiate the DSL connection. Also had to change all the IPTables rules to use ppp0 instead of eth0 to get the masquerade and forward rules to work again.

Yay... no renumber.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

DHCP Issue Possibly due to Hardware Clock?

Hello All, OS: openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (armv7hl) PC: CuBox-i (*mini-pc) The PC in question is a CuBox-i mini-pc. Since this PC doesn't have a battery, everytime the PC reboots the hardware clock is reset back to the same date every time, which is "2014-07-08 00:00". I have NTP configured... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

2. IP Networking

Node switched itself from static to DHCP on reboot issue

I'm trying to figure out what circumstances would cause an Open Solaris 11.2 host to switch itself from a static to a DHCP ip address upon reboot. This has only happened once but is a cause for some concern as this machine will be part of a web server pool. Nothing has changed on the LAN that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmokeyJoe
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dhcp.config file scripting assistance

Hello everyone! I am brand new at this forum thing and wanted to thank all of you for your time and help in advance for helping me troubleshoot my issue. I am fairly new to shell scripting and scoured the entire internet to find a solution for my issue to no avail and hope you're able to help. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sedrocks
2 Replies

4. Solaris

DHCP config struggles (serious struggle, or maybe just being stupid ...)

I have a straaaaaaange problem with a Solaris 10 host acting as a dhcp server. I can not get an ip adress allocated even though the configuration works in an almost exact setup for another Solaris 10 host. The <host> in question has one piece of BOOTP booting <equipment> hooked up to bge0, with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: larske
0 Replies

5. Linux

issue on dynamic config script

I have one issue with my existing code.Actually i want to write parameter's at the end of the section not begin of section.please find my code snapshots... while read cfgfilename sectionname parameter do case "$cfgfilename" in cfgfilename) FILE=$HOME/config/$parameter unset... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suryanarayan
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue with parsing config variables

I am using MKS tool kit on windows server. One config variable is defined in windows environment and I am trying to use that variable. # Below RootDir is defined in windows RootDir="\\f01\var" # in unix script details="$RootDir/src|$RootDir/tgt" src=`echo $details|awk -F '|' '{print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhukalyan
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Syslog config Issue.

Hi All, I have configured a centralised system log server. The /etc/syslog.conf file in my client(Sol 5.10) looks like this. e1011605: cat /etc/syslog.conf # # Copyright (c) 2000-2002 by Sun Microsystems, Inc. # All rights reserved. # #ident "@(#)syslog.conf 2.3 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari_Ganesh
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Tape drive config issue

I have a server/domain on a m5000 running Solaris 10. It is part of a cluster. The other cluster member sees tape drives, but this one does not. It is zoned correctly, and I can see the drives are binded in lputil. The st.conf, and devlink.tab are identical. ST.CONF: - # # Copyright... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pfwhufc
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Apache config issue

I want to build a little website on a Sun Blade 100 running Solaris 10. I just went out to apache.org and downloaded Unix Source: httpd-2.2.8.tar.gz After unpacking the tarball, I CD'd into the subdirectory and ran the configure utility. Of course, it crapped out. I see that it is... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrewDudeBob
17 Replies

10. Solaris

DHCP DNS Config

I'm running Solaris 9 and I need my box to request it's DNS servers off a DHCP server - can I do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jdogg
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question