How to put variables commands in config files?

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to put variables commands in config files?
# 1  
Old 04-20-2016
How to put variables commands in config files?

Hi All,

Seeking for your assistance on how to put in variables all the commands in /bin

config files: /home/test/config_file/config.cfg
Code:
cat /home/test/config_file/config.cfg
ECHO=/bin/echo
LS=/bin/ls

Main script
Code:
cat test.sh
source=/home/test/config_file/config.cfg

ECHO=$ECHO
LS=$LS

#i want to use echo command in config
Code:
$ECHO "Hello"
$LS /home/test/config_file/

ERROR:
i encountered command not found although i assigned it in the config files
Please advise,

Thanks,

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags correctly for code/data blocks, not for the entire post!

Last edited by RudiC; 04-20-2016 at 03:06 AM.. Reason: Corrected code/icode tags (best guess)
# 2  
Old 04-20-2016
Not clear. WHAT goes wrong? WHERE are you stuck? Why should you want ALL commands in /bin in variables?

Did you source /home/test/config_file/config.cfg, or did you execute it (in a sub shell)?
# 3  
Old 04-20-2016
Hi Sir,

How can i call the variable inside my config file?

Thanks,
# 4  
Old 04-20-2016
You're `source` line is in error. Replace the equal sign by a space:

Code:
source /home/test/config_file/config.cfg
$ECHO now it works

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - is it possible to import variables from a config file?

hi, all. I got a question about awk: If I have a lot of awk files for different tasks, but they'll share the same base directory, log setting, action lists, etc., is it possible to import them from a config file, so that I don't have to put them into each awk file? For example, I need a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lan9856
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script that will compare two config files and produce 2 outputs 1)actual config file 2)report

Hi I am new to shell scripting. There is a requirement to write a shell script to meet follwing needs.Prompt reply shall be highly appreciated. script that will compare two config files and produce 2 outputs - actual config file and a report indicating changes made. OS :Susi linux ver 10.3. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue with parsing config variables

I am using MKS tool kit on windows server. One config variable is defined in windows environment and I am trying to use that variable. # Below RootDir is defined in windows RootDir="\\f01\var" # in unix script details="$RootDir/src|$RootDir/tgt" src=`echo $details|awk -F '|' '{print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhukalyan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing config file to create new config files

Hi, I want to use a config file as the base file and parse over the values of country and city parameters in the config file and generate separate config files as explained below. I will be using the config file as mentioned below: (config.txt) country:a,b city:1,2 type:b1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clazzic
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ways to put variables into zenity radiolist

Hey guys, i have got a problem...zenity is not being able to read my variables in its radiolist options. as zenity needs a FALSE in front of a radiolist options, i have decided to ... op=$(awk '{print "FALSE" " " $2} /etc/fstab) $?=$(zenity --list --text "mount" --radiolist --column... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dplate07
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

put value of multiple sql statements into unix variables

i want to use multple sql count statements and store these count values in unix variable but in one connection only i.e. in only 1 time database should be hit ,which is the main requirement. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sw@pnil
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a line and put it into 3 variables

Hi All, I'll get a file whose 2nd line contains 3 fields: filename(variable length), file size char(10), and record count int(10). How do I cut it and put it into 3 variables? eg: abcd.csv01234567891111111111 now I want: $one = abcd.csv, $two = 0123456789, $three = 1111111111. I also... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mandab
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put content of file into variables

How to put a line of strings (with some white spaces in between) from a file into variables? I have tried the following codes. However, the content is cut by space (not by line) for i in `cat ${source_file}` do echo $i done Please comment. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rock
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

HPUX config commands

Hi guys, Need a favour or information on how to get it done in configuring a HPUX-11i box?I need the commands which is needed to configure the box...The pdf's in HP site is too much to look at.Is there any advice from u guys on how could i settle this problem? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: giriplug
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I put wildcards in an if statement that uses variables?

With the if statement: if How can I make it so it accepts a wildcard after the ${CURR_DAY_MONTH} variable? Putting a -f /webtrends/SUN/mrw2/access.${CURR_DAY_DAY}${CURR_DAY_MONTH}* won't work, right? I think I need some kind of special character so it knows the wildcard is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question