data corruption with ftp transfer

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users data corruption with ftp transfer
# 1  
Old 07-22-2003
data corruption with ftp transfer

Hi again,

first of all thanks for you help on my last problem, the problem is solved now.

But I have many problem Smilie
This time, I transfered a big file, ~3,5 GByte, with ftp from a Sun machine to a linux box, RedHat 7.3. But the file recieved on the Linux Box is corrupt, with smaller files there is no problem, I tested it with a 130 MB file.

On the Linux Box I am using the default wu-ftpd server, with default configuration.
Only the server timeout was set by me to 24h.

thnx and best regards
Alex
# 2  
Old 07-22-2003
What type of file is this large file? Are you using the correct file transfer type (ascii versus image)? What version of Solaris?

Is the ftp completing or failing while transmitting?
# 3  
Old 07-22-2003
Is it stopping at exactly 2GB? This could also be a large file problem.
# 4  
Old 07-22-2003
Hi,

The file transfer runs without error messages, only afer the finished transfer you see a broken file.

The files are data files, and the sun system is SunOS 5.8.

We are using binary mode with ftp.

Alex
# 5  
Old 07-22-2003
Is the filesize the same on both systems after the ftp is completed? if not how much are you missing?

If its the same filesize try using md5 sums to ensure that its really corrupt on the linux box so you dont have any other strange problems?

Just a tought..

/Peter
# 6  
Old 07-22-2003
more informartion

- No the corruption of the file is not anytime at the same place.

- The filesize has on both, the source and destination the same size, when you check the file with md5 you can see that the files are different.

- If you look into the file, using a hex editor, you see a lot of zeros or parts of other files in the corrupt file.
# 7  
Old 07-23-2003
I had a problem just like that once.. the strange thing that we found was that the disk was broken. fsck didnt report any errors..(If you havent runned fsck on the disk you should try that) but if we did a copy of the corrupted file and did a md5 check against the original it didnt match.. Smilie that was one wierd problem.. You could give it a try.. copy the file to the same disk under a diffrent name an d md5 check it.. or make the sun ftp the file to another disk on the linux box and see if the file still gets corrupted.

sounds like you have a corrupt disk..
/Peter
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to see the status of all the ftp put & get files logs and curent ftp transfer status ?

How to see the status of all the ftp put & get files logs and curent ftp transfer status if any active ftp running in the background ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SFTP and FTP to transfer data from One Remote Server To Another

HI I need to write a script in 415univ server which should go to 534unix server and move the files from there to windows server. I am not able to get it bcoz sftp prompt is not allowing ftp command. Can some one plz help me Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: himakiran9
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for verification of Data corruption

Hi, I am from File system back ground and doing File system testing on Linux, I need script that scirpt that create the different multiple types of .txt, device file and then copy to mount point /mnt/ dir and then verify the created files and copied files, if created files and copied files are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish_tcs_hp
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File system testing for Data corruption

Hi, could any one tell is there any test-suite or any idea How to do data corruption validation testing, means there is no any data corruption ? Regards Manish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manish_tcs_hp
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Data corruption

I have a solaris 5.6 on which oracle is installed. we have an alert file alert_net1.log now whenever any datacorruption happens we get the file id and block id in the above file. through this file and block id , we try to find out which table is corrupted and then try to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rsync data corruption

Dear Peoples I am using the following command to transfer the files inbetween two servers, i am using this command in a crontab for doing it in every 1 hour on all days. rsync --stats --archive --verbose --compress --force --rsh=ssh --exclude-from=/root/cfg/mkt_scn.exclude... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thameema
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Keep alive packet for control session in ftp data transfer

I'm new to UNIX. We are using SunOS5.9. In order to maintain the control session active during large file tranfers in ftp, i like to send keep alive packets for every 10 seconds.I like to know the steps to be done to achieve this. Please help me guys.Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpr
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp zip files corruption

Hi I have a zip file that I am ftping to another server. After I have ztped the file it is corrupt and cannot be opened by winzip. Can anyone throw any light on to why this would happen. I have no problems with sending the individual files, but when zipped into one file it becomes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: colesga
3 Replies

9. Solaris

ftp transfer

Hi ....I'm trying to ftp 2 pkgs SUNWqlc & SUNWqlcx since they were accidentally deleted from my servers. For one reaseon or the other my server is not loading the cdrom, so I mounted the cdrom on a differernt server & ftp's to it. I tried to get this pkg using the bin & I get an error message... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Remi
3 Replies

10. AIX

FTP - Data Transfer Limitations.

Hi, I have to transfer data from our production site to DR site(another city). I am using FTP for transfering data. But I am unable to get the same data transfer rate on AIX machines, one I am geting on windows machines. I want to know, is there any constraint on data transfer using FTP on AIX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: system-admin
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question