\n after EOF

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers \n after EOF
# 1  
Old 07-23-2007
Question \n after EOF

Hello all,
I have unix file that ends with the following EOF '9999999999'
I want to remove the '\n' character after EOF. What is the command that should be included in the script, before sending the file?
will this work:
$ echo "<99999999999>\c" >> <filename>

thanks in advance.
# 2  
Old 07-23-2007
"\c" should be enough to suppress the trailing newline, according to the man pages.
# 3  
Old 07-23-2007
I am using an FTP script and do not understand how to incorporate this?
should I run a unix command, prior to running the Ftp script?
I am novice at Unix and any help would be highly appreciated.
# 4  
Old 07-23-2007
How can I use echo command with Ftp script to achieve the above functionality,.. please help Smilie

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

confused with << EOF EOF

Hi friends , I am confused with << EOF EOF Most of the cases I found sqlplus $db_conn_str << EOF some sql staments EOF another exapmle is #!/bin/sh echo -n 'what is the value? ' read value sed 's/XXX/'$value'/' <<EOF The value is XXX EOF (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: imipsita.rath
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Until eof do????

Hey! Can I write a routine that allows me to in a txt file check line by line until the end of file? something like until do ---some code--- done maybe it is a stupid question but I never learned shell scripts and I need this :p thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ruben.rodrigues
1 Replies

3. Programming

Eof

How can I write EOF into a file? I tryed to do as follows: size=sizeof(EOF); end_of_file=EOF; write(fdMutexRichieste, &end_of_file, size); But it does non work correctly, becouse in the next cicle (using lseek(..., SEEK_END) of my code it seems to ignore my EOF and use the LAST... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DNAx86
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is << EOF

I'm trying to connect to oracle with the following code in the script: checksqlerror{ if echo $1 exit fi } $SQLPLUS username/password@schemaname checksqlerror "failed to connect to oracle" If I'm passing wrong schema name,instead of executing checksqlerror it stops and expects user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BhawanaAggarwal
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Eof

hi, in a shell script i came accross the following bit of code 1.shift $(($OPTIND - 1)) 2.if ; then 3. cat << EOF >&2 4.Usage: $0 lockfilename 5.EOF 6. exit 1 7.fi I am not able to understand the meaning of lines(1,3,5). Can any one of u tell me the purpose of above said lines.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Eof

I have written this code: code echo 'Now choose the file or files you want to merge your input with: \c' read filenames filelist="" for file in $filenames; do filelist="$filelist $file" done echo "Now that you've chosen these files ($filelist), please start typing: " until ; do paste -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fiol73
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Eof

hello all, how end of a file is detected in UNIX system? does it make use of any special symbols to identify the EOF? :( thank you all (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: compbug
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Premature EOF

How to check for a premature EOF in a regular file in a shell/perl script? I want to check if I have received a complete file or not. Thanks, Rahul. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help with EOF

Hello, you are an awesome crowd! You answered my last questions, thank you sooo much! I am trying to write a korn shell script that will record the memory my application is using (HP-UX B.11.11) and I have this: if (( $APP > $THRESHOLD )) then echo "Warning message will display" cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satraver
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

EOF use

Hi, I'd like to access a windows directory from aix with samba client. To allow direct access (not interactive), i'm using EOF like: smbclient \\\\winserver\\windir 'passwd' -U usersmb << EOF cd subwindir put myfile EOF The access is correct but does somebody know how to trap errors... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jo_aze
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question