How to input "EOF" signal?

Top Forums Programming How to input "EOF" signal?
# 1  
Old 05-04-2011

Code:
#include<stdio.h>
int main(int argc,char *argv[])
{
     int c,i;
     i=0;
    while((c=getchar()) != EOF )
    {
        if(c=='\n')
            ++i;
    }
     printf("%d\n",i);
}

How to input an "EOF" signal ? to gain the value of "i";Thanks.Smilie

Last edited by pludi; 05-04-2011 at 09:18 AM..
# 2  
Old 05-04-2011
I think in Unix ctrl + d will work
This User Gave Thanks to kumaran_5555 For This Post:
# 3  
Old 05-04-2011
in debian

I execute the program in Debian. It had no response when input "Ctrl D" and was interrupted when input "Ctrl Z" in terminal. Smilie How to print the value of i?
# 4  
Old 05-04-2011
Strange, Ctrl+D should have worked. With Ctrl+Z, you've sent the program into the background, suspending its execution, so there won't be any more output (check the output of ps -ef, and you'll see them floating around).
This User Gave Thanks to pludi For This Post:
# 5  
Old 05-04-2011
This is a program from K&R.

after executing you should type couple of lines as input, and then hit ctrl+D.

Then this will output number of lines you have entered.
This User Gave Thanks to kumaran_5555 For This Post:
# 6  
Old 05-04-2011
Thanks.I try it."Ctrl+D" worked.
By the way, for the first time, gcc shows
Code:
"linker input file unused because linking not done"

,what's meaning? Thanks in advance.
# 7  
Old 05-04-2011
post the gcc command you have executed.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

2. SCO

"Unexpected EOF within #IF, #ifdef or #ifndef" error when rebuilding / relinking SCO OpenServer 5

Hi, I am a new Unix Guru with very little experience but have the task of P2Ving an old HP Proliant ML370 G5 server to VMware ESX 4.1 or ESXi 5.5. System seems to boots fine but when trying to remove HP software, configure TCP/IP or a driver, I am receiving: -------- ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dj_Italian
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't find string terminator "`" anywhere before EOF

// AIX 6.1 What I am trying to accomplish is to display the user name and the last login date and time in one line: for usrlist in $(cat alluser.txt) do $usrlist perl -e 'print scalar localtime `lsuser -a time_last_login $usrlist | awk -F '=' '{print $2}'`' done However, it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
8 Replies

5. Solaris

Trap signal on Window Manager "X" button clicked?

Well, my first post... thanks in advance! Can applications be notified of the X Window close (with "X" button) so the signal handler can run a cleanup process method? About the app: built with GNU C/C++ on Solaris 10, with WxWidgets. It is launched by a shell script as a background task. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HandsOGold
2 Replies

6. Programming

Question (pthread): How to Signal all threads w/o "broadcast"?

Hello all, Is there any way that I can signal (wake) all threads that I have created without using pthread_cond_broadcast? Cheers! Aaron (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobility
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 install issue - "Caught Signal 11"

Rebuilding a server (T2000) from a flash archive I created on another server. Using a Solaris 10/08 DVD to boot from the was going to point it tot he flash archive and pull it over NFS. I've done this many times with success until now. It initially boots off the DVD, you input the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Probos
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

"unexpected end of file" when I´m use EOF inside block if

I have a trouble in my script when i use EOF inside block if. If i use EOF whitout block if I don´t have problem. Guys any ideas? Sorry for my terrible English. #!/bin/sh set -xv HOST='ftp.fiction.com.br' USER='fictionuser' PASS='fictionpass' FILE='ftpteste.txt' busca=`find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricardo.ludwig
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

check input = "empty" and "numeric"

Hi how to check input is "empty" and "numeric" in ksh? e.g: ./myscript.ksh k output show: invalid number input ./myscript.ksh output show: no input ./myscript.ksh 10 output show: input is numeric (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: geoffry
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question