Delete 2 months before old files when we get alarm directory size > 90%

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete 2 months before old files when we get alarm directory size > 90%
# 1  
Old 03-26-2011
Question Delete 2 months before old files when we get alarm directory size > 90%

Please Help me

Question: - we manually moving/removing old files, when we are getting alarm as /dir1/dir2 size greater than 90%.
we manually moving/removing old files and reduce the file size to less than 90%

- I want to delete all 2months before old files once we get the thresh hold >= 90% in a single unix commands (or) background script delete old files automatically once we get the thresh hold >= 90%

I need your support
# 2  
Old 03-26-2011
You can setup a cron job, and check regularly the size of /dir1/dir2 using the du command, and remove/move the files in that directory when its size reaches the threshold.
# 3  
Old 03-27-2011
Possible by pipe

Hi,

U can use

Code:
ls-ltr

will lists the latest at top most, then you can use | and rm to remove

Vasanth
# 4  
Old 03-27-2011
Code:
disk_usage=`df -k . | tail -1 | awk '{printf("%0.2d",$5)}'`; [ "$disk_usage" -gt "90" ] && find <givethepath> -type f -mtime +90 -exec rm {} \;   || echo "we are fine"

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to delete to the list of files in a directory based on last created & delete them

Hi My directory structure is as below. dir1, dir2, dir3 I have the list of files to be deleted in the below path as below. /staging/retain_for_2years/Cleanup/log $ ls -lrt total 0 drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody nobody 256 Mar 01 16:15 01-MAR-2015_SPDBS2 drwxr-xr-x 2 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasadn
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting files and directory's older than 3 months

I have a qnap TS259 that is running ubuntu. Have successfully setup back scripts that are initiated by cron. I would like to create a couple scrypts that would operate on the recycle bins for both drives. Just want to be able to run the script manually that would walk through both directories... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mackconsult
13 Replies

3. Red Hat

Need Script to ZIP/SAVE & then DELETE Log file & DELETE ZIPS older than 12 months

ENVIROMENT Linux: Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) iPlanet: iPlanet-WebServer-Enterprise/6.0SP1 Log Path: /usr/iplanet/servers/https-company/logs I have iPlanet log rotation enabled rotating files on a daily basis. The rotated logs are NOT compressed & are taking up too much space. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zachs
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete folder in a directory which are two months old

I need help. I have to create a script which will delete multiple directory (folders) that are two months old. Example, I have folders dated April, May, June and July. I have to delete folders April and May and retain June and July and as such that when the July month lapse, the folder June will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasperux
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete some of the files in the directory, if the directory size limits the specified size

To find the whole size of a particular directory i use "du -sk /dirname".. but after finding the direcory's size how do i make conditions like if the size of the dir is more than 1 GB i hav to delete some of the files inside the dir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete Files based on size

Hello Community! Im newbie on shell programming and its my first post. Im trying to make a bash shell script that it removes files of subdirectory. it is called : rms -{g|l|b} size1 dir -g means : remove file or files in dir that is above size1 -l means: remove file or files in dir that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BTKBaaMMM
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than "x" if directory size is greater than "y"

I wrote a script to delete files which are older than "x" days, if the size of the directory is greater than "y" #!/bin/bash du -hs $1 while read SIZE ENTRY do if ; then find $1 -mtime +$2 -exec rm -f {} \; echo "Files older than $2 days deleted" else echo "free Space available"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesCarter
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete 6 months old files

Hi, Iam trying to delete 6 months old files. Iam using the following script -ctime +190 -type f -exec echo rm {} \; Iam getting an error saying -ctime not found. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sompalle Jalaja
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than 3 months.(read date from the name of the file)

Guys, My log files stored in the date format format below(log_20080714072942): TIMESTAMP=`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S` LOG=/log/log_${TIMESTAMP}.log I'm looking for a shell script which deletes all files which is older than 3 months from today. Regards, Bhagat (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagat.singh-j
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cp files (>5 Mb size) from one directory to another

Hi All, I have a requirement like below, I want to transfer few file of size > 5 Mb from one directory to anotehr directory. Please let me know the command how can i do that Sorry if it looks silly Senthil (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skcontact
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question