SAN Migration question

Operating Systems HP-UX SAN Migration question
# 1  
Old 06-09-2015
SAN Migration question

Hi,

I am very new to HP-UX, and we're going to be doing a SAN migration.

We're going to take down the machine, and zone it to the new SAN.

My question is, will the device names change and will that interfere with the LVM?

If the new disks come in with different device names, how would I remediate that issue so the LVM would know what disks to point to?

Thanks!
# 2  
Old 06-10-2015
Is the HPUX in question v2 or v3 ?

If the answer is v3, the operation can be online, since on v3, every lun has a WWID.
Just do it port by port, rescan and check paths after each, should not be any issues.

If you want to do it offline, do a vgexport preview (to a file not actual export) of all volume groups on the system using SAN disks (just to be safe do it anyway in each scenario) and deactivate the volume group.

Since the VG info is actually written on disks, even if everything changes (disk names etc.) you will be able to import the volume group using a file you created earlier. There are also other methods (vgscan), but this one is most trivial.

Commands you will require are
scsimgr -> to check lunmap and paths before and after.
ioscan -> to rescan after port change.

This assumes you are using hpux native multipath, not other multipath solutions.
# 3  
Old 06-10-2015
I think it's version 2? Does that make sense? I'm almost sure I am giving the correct output below.

Code:
# uname -r
B.11.23
# swlist -l bundle QPKBASE
# Initializing...
# Contacting target "hostname"...
#
# Target:  hostname:/
#

QPKBASE       B.11.23.1012.086a Base Quality Pack Bundle for HP-UX 11i v2, December 2010

# 4  
Old 06-10-2015
With HPUX v2, it is a bit tricker to do it online, since for every path you will have one disk device which you have to configure. Agile naming and lun map are on HPUX v3 which makes things considerably easier.

But since you have downtime, export the volume group(s) in which FC disks are into a file (-p -m -s easy to remember Smilie )

Stop the service in question and umount the filesystems.
Deactivate and export the volume group.
Unpresent the existing FC luns from host.
Clean up the old device files, you will need to remove the "NO_HW" devices with rmsf -H # this is optional but desirable.
Zone the storage and host on the new switch, and present the luns to the host.
Import the volume group using file you created in setup one.
Activate the volume group and mount filesystems, since you used -m option, it will import with VGID from file.

IF you are migrating SAN root volume group (vg00) additional steps are required.

For online migration, you will need to

Disconnect one path and connect it to a new switch which is zoned and setuped for the host.
Present the luns over that path to host.
Using vgextend, extend the volume group with new luns.
Using vgreduce, remove the existing lun (old switch path)
Disconnect other path, connect to new switch, present, vgextend new, vgreduce old disk path.

Hope that helps.
Regards
Peasant.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Peasant For This Post:
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to identify if disk is attached to SAN and assist in migration.?

I am working on VM host and collecting data to identify the type of storage attached to the server which will be migrated to VNX. it has one ldom created on it luxadm probe output --- No Network Array enclosures found in /dev/es Found Fibre Channel device(s): Node... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpatel786
7 Replies

2. AIX

AIX - FC Switch migration, SAN Migration question!

I'm New to AIX / VIOS We're doing a FC switch cutover on an ibm device, connected via SAN. How do I tell if one path to my remote disk is lost? (aix lvm) How do I tell when my link is down on my HBA port? Appreciate your help, very much! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

Volume group not activated at boot after SAN migration

I have an IBM blade running RHEL 5.4 server, connected to two Hitachi SANs using common fibre cards & Brocade switches. It has two volume groups made from old SAN LUNs. The old SAN needs to be retired so we allocated LUNs from the new SAN, discovered the LUNs as multipath disks (4 paths) and grew... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
4 Replies

4. AIX

SAN Migration

Hi all, We are migrating our SAN storage from HSV360 to 3PAR. The system runs aix 6.1 version with HACMP. Please let me know what are requirements from OS side and how are the data copied to the new disks. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElizabethPJ
10 Replies

5. Solaris

Need Help On Solaris Cluster Steps For San Migration

I am going to do a SAN Array migration and need the sequence of steps required on the Solaris cluster before moving the old array luns to new array luns. Here are the steps and I need info on the bold points:( I might even be wrong on the sequence of steps please correct me if I am wrong) 1.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunshinedeepu
0 Replies

6. HP-UX

SAN Migration of HP-UX hosts

Hello gurus, I am a SAN Admin - not very familiar with the HPUX administration - so need help with the steps in regards to the migration I need to do at my client place. Environment: Migrating from CX4 to VMAX - using OR/Hot Pull. Here are the steps I have put together - HPUX gurus please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jps460
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

SAN/LVM question

Hey everyone. I am working on designing a logging solution for a deployment we have going out in a few months. Right now we have a single storage head end, connected via fibre to a SAN. Basically the plan is to create a number of smaller LUNs on the SAN, and then use LVM2 to handle concatenating... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Question regarding Zone Migration

I have a general question regarding Zone Migration. I have an older system that is currently running a zone configured with ProFTPD & SSL. If I want to migrate or clone that zone to another (much newer) system, will I still have to setup & configure ProFTPD & SSL on the new system? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: em23
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Veritas Storage Question (Data Migration)

Using Solaris 10 with Veritas Storage Foundation running. I want to copy all contents from DISKA LUN1 to DISKB LUN2. What would be the command syntax to do this? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
0 Replies

10. HP-UX

SAN migration

Hi, I'm going to be involved in a migration of SAN islands to one big SAN. I've not worked with SANs before and I'm not sure how to approach this. I suspect the disk devices on the HP servers are going to change, when the EVA's and servers are plugged into this new Cisco 9509 switch. Any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hils
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question