Dumping a FreeBSD Archive on a partiotion on Hard Disk

Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Dumping a FreeBSD Archive on a partiotion on Hard Disk
# 1  
Old 10-02-2004
Error Dumping a FreeBSD Archive on a partiotion on Hard Disk

I have been using FreeBSD (currently 4.10, yes yes i havent updated it for a few months), and unfortunately when initially installing it onto my laptop, i made the mistake of only assigning it 3.5 GB and time has passed and I now find myself withonly 300 something MB left on the chunk, i want to assign a lager partiotion to it, and do not know how to use "growfs" or know how safe it is. I was just wondering if I were to archive the "/" directory and ship it over to one of my Windows partition. After this destroying the current partition and creating a much larger one (preferabbly 8GB +) and then using any Live CD to dump this archive onto the new partition. Would this process work or would it merely act as data dumped on the HD as opposed to an OS. If anyone knows about this or any other ways that i may go about growing my partition for FreeBSD, without the tedious task of starting from scratch, i would be very thankful.

Thanks Smilie
# 2  
Old 10-02-2004
http://partimage.org/

Quote:
Partition Image is a Linux/UNIX utility which saves partitions in many formats (see below) to an image file. The image file can be compressed in the GZIP/BZIP2 formats to save disk space, and split into multiple files to be copied on removable floppies (ZIP for example), ... Partitions can be saved across the network since version 0.6.0.

Partition Image will only copy data from the used portions of the partition. For speed and efficiency, free blocks are not written to the image file. This is unlike the 'dd' command, which also copies empty blocks. Partition Image also works for large, very full partitions. For example, a full 1 GB partition can be compressed with gzip down to 400MB.
I use this on all my Windows boxes, Slackware Linux boxes. I've never had to use it yet with the *BSD machines.
You can use this to save your partition to an image file, even across the nework, which means your machine you plan to back up to must be running the partimaged server.
Then load this partimage Live-CD, and add the necessary IP info to the box after booting, which is usually just adding IP/subnet and gateway info (if needed).
Select the partition to backup, set options, and connect to the ip address of the server box.
It should only take a few minutes to copy the partition across the network. then you can resize the partition, and restore from the image.
Which would require booting once more on the Live-CD, adding the ip/subnet info, selecting the partition to restore, and the ip of the server and the directory where the partition was saved.

You will also need to download the program to install on the server box. Or run both boxes from the CD (not tested by myself.)

Also. you can just back up to a seperate partition on the same machine if you do not have a second box. if you have enough space on the Windows Partition, just backup to that drive.
It saves the backup as a image file.

I've been using this sucessfully for a few years now.

Look on the site for more info. This program works well.

Also contained on the Live-CD is a partition resizing tool. qt_parted which might be something you can use too, just to adjust the size of the partition without the image creation steps, which is really just used when backing up data. It is just like PowerQuests Partition Magic, except that PM costs and pated is free, Both tools are free.

Last edited by locustfurnace; 10-03-2004 at 08:26 PM..
# 3  
Old 10-03-2004
Thanks

Hey Locust, thanks a lot man. Both your description of how to go about it and the site that you recommended were very helpful. So as soon as I get those extra few GB free on my Windows partition I am gonna take an image of my bsd and get on with this process.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies

2. BSD

Mounting a hard disk in FreeBSD

I have just installed a second hard disk on a FreeBSD machine v8.0. It is seen as new hardware: # dmesg | grep ad4 ad4: 953869MB <SAMSUNG HD103UJ 1AA01113> at ata2-master SATA300 ad4: 953869MB <SAMSUNG HD103UJ 1AA01113> at ata2-master SATA300 However it is not listed in fstab where "ad4"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

3. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Something is filling hard disk on its own.

I came in this morning to find that our mail server was down. Couldn't connect. I looked at logs. The logs complained about no space on device. I run df and it comfirms that the system disk (mounted on /) is at 100% capacity. I try to delete some files before attempting to look at cyrus. I rotate... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: timgolding
23 Replies

4. SCO

declare disk driver for IDE hard disk

hi I've a fresh installation of SCO 5.0.7 on the IDE hard disk. For SCSI hard disk I can declare, for example blc disk driver using: # mkdev hd 0 SCSI-0 0 blc 0but it works for IDE hard disk? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard Disk at 99% Help!

:eek: I use this Solaris to run CMS a call acounting software package for my job. No one could run reports today because it said the this when you logged on "The following file systems are low, and could adversely affect server performance: File system /: 99%full" Can some one please explain... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannyisme
9 Replies

6. HP-UX

how can i get hard disk usage

I want to get hard disk usage hard disk usage= already allocated/total allocated first I use ioscan -kfnC disk get disk name c#t#d# then I use diskinfo /dev/rdsk/c#t#d# but this command can only get total disk size,not disk usage has any command can get that thanks:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard disk problem

Hi everybody, I have Ultra 5 operating station, I fixed a new 80 GB HDD, when Iam installing Solaries "2.6, veeeeery old" the system see the hard disk as only 8002 MB "8GB" what can I do so the system will consider the whole capacity of the HDD. any capacity higher then 8 GB will be seen as 8 GB... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adol3
4 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Hard Disk

I have a cuestion. How Can I to add other hard disk to my computer? I need to configurate anyone? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmaraver
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question