Rolling Back an Update

Operating Systems Linux Rolling Back an Update
# 1  
Old 05-01-2012
Rolling Back an Update

I am writing a software product and hope that it will work on a variety of Linux distributions. At the moment, I am trying to create some kind of Linux version of patches/upgrades of installed software. Gathering information on available updates isn't hard, nor is installation of updates, but I can find no coherent scheme for rolling an update back without uninstalling the application altogether.

I cannot find a way to do it for Redhat, Debian or any other family of Linux - at least I cannot find a way which isn't peculiar to just a few versions, and isn't obsolete or slated for retirement.

The method cannot be manual, I need to do it from a program, and it cannot depend on an esoteric utility which many of my customers won't have.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to do this for Redhat, or Debian, or SuSe, or any major distribution?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon
# 2  
Old 05-02-2012
They are not updates. They are packages. You can make things work outside of a package via a series of scripts, however.
# 3  
Old 05-02-2012
A package is an update if it updates an earlier version of the same software.

What would these scripts do?
# 4  
Old 05-02-2012
You don't need a previous version installed to install a newer one.

So, they're still not 'updates'. They're not small changes to a large thing, they're drop-in replacements for the whole.

That's what makes 'rollback' difficult. You need to enumerate the differences between them yourself, decide which are important, which aren't, which are defaults that probably shouldn't be reinstalled overtop of the existing ones, etc, etc. It might be possible to simply uninstall it and reinstall the old. It might not. There might be dependencies and dependency changes involved in that, too.

Last edited by Corona688; 05-02-2012 at 06:30 PM..
# 5  
Old 05-03-2012
Hi, Corona.

I also have to consider the possibility that the customer is trying it on basic, necessary software, so I would rather not uninstall and re-install in case something went wrong. They wouldn't like it if I wrecked the customer's system. I was hoping that someone had already worked out a system to do it, at least for some Linux family. I hate to concede defeat, but, at the same, time, I am probably not in a position to concoct a mammoth scheme for saving all necessary info on every update within my software. No one has ever solved this problem in a coherent way?
# 6  
Old 05-03-2012
You are looking at rebuilding the world. Inside a package are a series of files and scripts.

Your package can work in several ways. You can inventory all the files owned by your application, save them to a directory based on the version, and then lay down the new files, however this may upset some customers when you use disk space they otherwise would not want, so you can make this step optional, but realize the stupider customers will screw it up.

Otherwise, you can use a simpler method than rpm or deb files, like a .tgz file that unpacks the changes, but also realize, there is more work, and getting versions is trickier this way.

Many customers have systems by which to load/remove software. You want a fits all solution and they don't exist. It will involve you documenting lots of things, and scripting many others yourself.
# 7  
Old 05-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon9000
Hi, Corona.

I also have to consider the possibility that the customer is trying it on basic, necessary software, so I would rather not uninstall and re-install in case something went wrong. They wouldn't like it if I wrecked the customer's system. I was hoping that someone had already worked out a system to do it, at least for some Linux family. I hate to concede defeat, but, at the same, time, I am probably not in a position to concoct a mammoth scheme for saving all necessary info on every update within my software. No one has ever solved this problem in a coherent way?
You could always try keeping backups. Smilie
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

SEO Update: Back On Page 1 for Google SERPs (between #6 and #8)

Well, good news... Just checked a number of browsers set to the US region of Google , NCR https://www.google.com/ncr unix.com was back on the first page, between #6 and #8. Will be interesting to see if we can make it back to our highest #4 ranking in 2019. Google Webmaster Tools... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Middled Rolling average

Dear Help, The input file is below --- 13 2238422.00000 101083.00000 0.89024 0.00416 0.00467 14 2238318.00000 101090.00000 0.89100 0.00416 0.00467 15 2238209.00000 101100.00000 0.90964 0.00424 0.00466 16 2238104.00000 101104.00000 0.97568 0.00463 0.00475 17 2237991.00000 101113.00000... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rolling back SQL transaction

Can some one help me related to .sql file issue. I have a .sqlfile and tried to read the file thru unix. In the .sqlfile I have error rows as well and when error comes I dont want to proceed further and need to roll back all the transactions. sample .sql file below insert into test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sri_aue
2 Replies

4. AIX

rolling back Technology Level

Hi, is it possible to roll back currently updated Technology level ? what are steps required? Regards, Manoj (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

Back-to-Back Connection using HBAs

Hi every body, Is it possible to connect two servers Back-to-Back (Point-to-Point) using HBA adapters & using Fiber. Note it is direct connection & there is no switches between the servers. I'm concern about using HBA adapters, it is possible or not. Thanks in advance. :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

log rolling

Hi, I'm thinking of running a script via cron (every hour) to do the log rolling. The file is "file.txt" and there going to be 10 files rolling (file.txt.n). The file is being written constantly by an application. The script will do the following: 1. cat file.txt > file.txt.0 2. cat... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaandana
0 Replies

7. AIX

back to back printing in UNIX

Hi , Can you suggest me how to back to back printing in UNIX? Is there any way? Kindly advise. Regards Vijaya Amirtha Raj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rolling back time

Hi all, Have a small problem. Back in October the pervious sys-admin (of a client's company) made the necessary adjustments to the system clock for daylight savings (Sydney time - +11 GMT). As far as I can gather, they just amended the time - NO TIMEZONE !?! Is there an effective and safe... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question