How to remove services from nsswitch file?

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to remove services from nsswitch file?
# 1  
Old 10-11-2010
How to remove services from nsswitch file?

According to security manual only DNS, files, or LDAP should be allowed in nsswitch file however it seems like i have many other services configured in nsswitch files.

below are the content from nsswitch file.
What services can be removed considering the system stability.

Code:
passwd:     files
shadow:     files
group:      files
hosts:      files dns
bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
ethers:     files
netmasks:   files
networks:   files
protocols:  files
rpc:        files
services:   files
netgroup:   nisplus
publickey:  nisplus
automount:  files nisplus
aliases:    files nisplus

We are using dns server instead of NIS should we follow what the following link says.

http://www.faqs.org/docs/securing/chap6sec71.html

Last edited by pinga123; 10-11-2010 at 03:28 AM..
# 2  
Old 10-11-2010
Only you can answer, we dont know what you use... Looks like you are on a solaris, do you use NIS?
Its not because you use DNS that you dont use NIS...
# 3  
Old 10-11-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbe
Only you can answer, we dont know what you use... Looks like you are on a solaris, do you use NIS?
Its not because you use DNS that you dont use NIS...
We have a separate DNS server but I never heard of NIS being deployed in our setup.
# 4  
Old 10-11-2010
As this "server hardening" process has been going on for some time.

Do you have NIS?

If you cannot answer this question, have you considered attending a unix comms course? The quick ones only last a week.
# 5  
Old 10-11-2010
Quote:
As this "server hardening" process has been going on for some time.
Security is an Ongoing Process You'll never be able to say: “OK, we're done, Smilie
Quote:
Do you have NIS?

If you cannot answer this question, have you considered attending a unix comms course? The quick ones only last a week.
As i said before we are not using Any NIS .
We have a separate DNS server which is a window server.
# 6  
Old 10-11-2010
Quote:
As i said before we are not using Any NIS .
We have a separate DNS server which is a window server.
What commands did you type on your server to determine whether you have NIS and what was the response?

If no NIS-dependent services are running on your server any default configuration referring to NIS can be removed as a precaution against encountering a rogue NIS server.
# 7  
Old 10-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
What commands did you type on your server to determine whether you have NIS and what was the response?

If no NIS-dependent services are running on your server any default configuration referring to NIS can be removed as a precaution against encountering a rogue NIS server.
Being a newbie i dont know the commands to check if NIS is running or not .Can you please tell few?

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Configure resolv.conf and nsswitch.conf

Hi, I've installed Solaris 11.3(live media) and configured DNS. Everytime I reboot the server, resolv.conf got deleted and it created a new nsswitch.conf. I used below to configure both settings: # svccfg -s dns/client svc:/network/dns/client> setprop config/nameserver = (xx.xx.xx.aa... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flexihopper18
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

HPUX nsswitch.conf issue

Hi all, There wasn't nsswitch.conf file in my HPUX server. So I copied /etc/nsswitch.files to /etc/nsswitch.conf and changed the content like below. passwd: compat group: compat hosts: files dns nis ipnodes: dns files services: nis files networks: nis... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sembii
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Start services based on dependent services on other AIX machine

Hi, I just started working on a script. After my research, i found a command which can help me: AIM: To build a script which starts the services (Services 1) on server 1 automatically whenever its down. And it has a dependency on other service (Service 2) on Server 2. So my script has to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: draghun9
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

Restart of services if port no is changed in /etc/services in RHEL

I had a doubt if any services need to be restarted if port no in /etc/services in an RHEL setup is changed. For eg, the port no of 443 for SSL may need to be changed. I hope my query is clear whether any services need to be restarted if port no in /etc/services is changed. Please revert with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
10 Replies

5. Red Hat

Question about nsswitch.conf

Hi, I was told to add the "nis" in front of "files" for below lines in /etc/nsswitch.conf was not in a good practise. I tried to search in google and man page for nsswitch.conf and can't find the answer. could someone please help me? passwd: nis files shadow: nis files group: nis files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beeloo
2 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Unix Services File

Hi all, I am fairly new to Unix/Linux, have been working on installattion for Tivoli Directory Services.The installation has a conflict with ports which is a known issue with the Directory Service. As per IBM the properties files can be changed to manually, for the Webadmin(Websphere) protal... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abdulhaindade
1 Replies

7. Linux

Services File

Hi all, I am fairly new to Unix/Linux, have been working on installattion for Tivoli Directory Services.The installation has a conflict with ports which is a known issue with the Directory Service. As per IBM the properties files can be changed to manually, for the Webadmin(Websphere) protal... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulhaindade
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Sendmail does not accord to the hosts order in Solaris nsswitch.conf

Dear Friend, It is strange that my sendmail does not accord to the hosts order in solaris nsswitch.conf. Please let me elaborate in details. Thank you. Setting: solaris 9 /etc/nsswitch.conf hosts: file ldap dns sendmail 8.13.4 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf O... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackyyjwu
4 Replies

9. Solaris

/etc/nsswitch.conf hosts ldap dns

Hi all Is there any reason to have "hosts ldap dns" as line in /etc/nsswitch.conf ? My understanding is that ldap does not contain any host information..(?) Best regards...Ludwig (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ludwig
1 Replies

10. SuSE

Run Level Services file

Hello, I recently updated a test system from Suse 8 to 9.3. Now our runlevel services program doesn't work, but works fine on our other 9.3 boxes. We have a file in /etc/init.d/rc3.d called S99fooprog(not actual name ofcourse). It just has a command to start a program daemon up. Anyways... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benefactr
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question