Virtual Memory issue

Operating Systems Linux Virtual Memory issue
# 1  
Old 07-01-2009
Virtual Memory issue

Hi all,

I was compiling my glibc 2.6.1 source files on a new kernel 2.66.22.6 and it seems that i am running into issues with the Virtual Memory. It displays the error message:

virtual memory exhausted: Cannot allocate memory‏

I saw an article on how to adjust the parameters but i can't make sense of the numbers and what they mean and nor does the article describe them like vm.dbflush value etc.

Anyone give an easy view of this?

your help would be much appreciated.

Mani
# 2  
Old 07-01-2009
Which Linux?
# 3  
Old 07-02-2009
Hi,

Its called JDS Linux from Sun Microsystems, not sure of you heard of it. It was quite old and i wanted to install Firefox, which said my glibc was out of date. looking at the pre-reqs i needed to update a lot of things of and after that was a mutexlock error while compiling glibc and that led me to update the Kernel to 2.6.22.6 now i am getting this VM error.

Any ideas? still reading on the net for VM settings but so far it seems like a black art.

Mani
# 4  
Old 07-09-2009
Might also be useful tok now what's eating all the memory, try 'ps aux | less'.
# 5  
Old 07-11-2009
Indeed, I would suggest identifying what is first using most of your memory.

Something like a free -m, first off will give the general idea of how much memory you already are working with while doing a top -c and shift + m before evening running the install will see specifically what is eating most of your memory up.

From there you can disable the processes that are eating up most of the memory. If there is a redundant process or something that is spawning more children than normal you can run:

ps aux | awk '{print $1}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -k1 -g

or

ps aux | awk '{print $11}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -k1 -g

If you could shoot me the results, I can take a look for ya, but they're pretty obvious.
# 6  
Old 07-11-2009
One thing I must add, that using older distributions, especially ones that seem to have spurious support is never a good idea. Sun ditched the Java Desktop a while back and I think that you may have encountered what will be one of many issues you might face.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Virtual Memory in UNIX

So, I would ask you a piece of advice about which books or titles could give me comprehensive information about virtual memory in UNIX. Especially, I would found out that virtual address translation corresponds structures of kernel! Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fadedfate
2 Replies

2. AIX

Low Virtual memory available

Hi I am running AIX 5.2. My server is running low on memory. It it using about 1307775 file pages on a total of 1511424 (from vmstat -v). I looked at the memory yesterday morning, and we had plenty of free memory. I did a backup from Windows (ftp mget command) of a large file selection. From... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredrivard
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Virtual Memory

Hi, Can anyone please help me workout how much virtual memory I have running on a T2000 running Solaris 10. Thanks # df -h swap 3.5G 1.0M 3.5G 1% /etc/svc/volatile swap 3.5G 208K 3.5G 1% /tmp swap 3.5G 56K ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cpu, memory and virtual memory usage

Hi All, Does anyone know what the best commands in the UNIX command line are for obtaining this info: current CPU usage memory usage virtual memory usage preferably with date and time parameters too? thanks ocelot (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
4 Replies

5. AIX

ulimits max locked memory virtual memory

Hi, Would any one be so kind to explain me : are ulimits defined for each user seperately ? When ? Specialy what is the impact of : max locked memory and virtual memory on performance of applications for a user. Many thanks. PS : this is what I can see in MAN : ulimit ] ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

Virtual Memory

Hi! I work with HP-UX and I have to monitorize the use of virtual memory for different processes. (java processes for Tibco Adapter) And if these processes exceed a limit send a message to the syslog. I donīt know how to monitorize this... Should I do a script? or use an aplication, for example... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kurohana
3 Replies

7. Programming

about virtual memory and memory leak

Hi, First of all I appreciate this group very much for its informative discussions and posts. Here is my question. I have one process whose virtual memory size increases linearly from 6MB to 12MB in 20 minutes. Does that mean my process has memory leaks? In what cases does the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

virtual memory

Hi, can anyone explain me what virtual memory is ( for which we use vmstat commande line ) comparing with RAM ? many thanks before. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

get physical and virtual memory

What command can i use to get the physical and virtual memory of a database? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tads98
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory/virtual space

HP UNIX version 10.20 I have been using system variable names in some shell scripts in order to automate execution of some test software. I have recently found that there appears to be a restriction with the 'ls' command when listing specific files (e.g. ls *.c). If I pipe the output into wc, I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: degwright
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question