Any specific time to reboot the sun server to avoid unplanned outage ??

Operating Systems Solaris Any specific time to reboot the sun server to avoid unplanned outage ??
# 1  
Old 07-20-2011
Any specific time to reboot the sun server to avoid unplanned outage ??

Hi,

Would like to know the uptime or specific time limit to reboot the sun microsystem to avoid unplanned outage.

Regards,Tarun
# 2  
Old 07-20-2011
don't know if or where is the uptime limit on solaris, but i never heard about a uptime-limitation on solaris.
# 3  
Old 07-20-2011
Yeah...But its should have some uptime ..when we can reboot the system ??
# 4  
Old 07-20-2011
Why should it have a maximum uptime? My private Linux machine was running for 2 years straight until a power outage, and I've seen corporate machines with various Unixes running 5+ years.
# 5  
Old 07-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
Why should it have a maximum uptime? My private Linux machine was running for 2 years straight until a power outage, and I've seen corporate machines with various Unixes running 5+ years.
and it will be a nightmare if you are tasked to do a reboot of these long running machines... lolz. might not come up like you expected them to.
# 6  
Old 07-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitot
and it will be a nightmare if you are tasked to do a reboot of these long running machines... lolz. might not come up like you expected them to.
Depends. My private machine really didn't come up again, since the HDD had been fried. The corporate machines came up after the kernel upgrade without a problem since all changes had been properly documented and tested on other machines. The only problem was getting the department heads to agree on a maintenance window.
# 7  
Old 07-20-2011
This thread is reminding me of Cinderella: if you don't reboot the machine by midnight, the server turns into a pumpkin. Smilie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitot
My only concern with a very long-running system would be the lack of security updates. But, giving the admin the benefit of the doubt, that he/she is not an idiot, there are scenarios when even updates aren't important (e.g. a non-public machine accessed only by trusted users for a specific task ... if it ain't broke ...).

No offense intended, but suggesting a regular reboot for no reason other than to keep unidentified gremlins at bay sounds more like superstition than system administration to me. If simply running an operating system for extended periods of time renders it unbootable through some mechanism that's thwarted by regular reboots, one is forced to conclude that the operating system in question is unfit for production use.

With regard to hardware, if anything, due to the thermal stress involved, needlessly rebooting on a regular basis is a good way to shorten the machine's lifespan.

Regards,
Your Fairy Godmother
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Automatic Server bootup after power outage?

Hi everyone, We had a power outage few days ago, and I got the servers up and running but I was informed to look into, if there is a way to bring up the servers automatically/defaultly. I was told the windows admin has their server set up where the servers are up automatically if there is a... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adnans2k
11 Replies

2. Solaris

Validate mountpoints on solaris server after server reboot

Hi, anyone please let us know how to write shell script to find the missing mountpoints after server reboot. i want to take the mountpount information before server reboot, and validate the mountpoints after server reboot if any missing.please let us know the shell script from begining to end as... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: VenkatReddy786
24 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to scp File from root user in one server to say crt user in another server and avoid password?

Can someone help in writing some script through which I can transfer file (scp) from root user in abc server to crt user in hfg server and can give the crt user password in script itself so that it doesn't prompt me every time for password (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moon1234
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

Linux Server Outage

We have Linux Server crash on last Friday of 25th It's is running on IBM x3650 hardware. We Have Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.9 (Tikanga) running on top of it. We were told to do Root Cause Analysis. So, Apart from looking /var/log/messages, Where can we check to get details on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunil Koya
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid column with a specific name using awk

how can avoid column names that start with Nx_*? file1 name Nx_8977 Nx_988 NN a1 2 0 8 b1 2 0 8 ouput name NN a1 8 b1 8 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
5 Replies

6. Hardware

Sun fire 4270 reset BIOS settings after reboot

Hello, I am trying to perform Suse 10 SP3 installation via network in 6 Sun Fire 4270 M2 servers. The problem is that even if i set first prio boot device the hard disk the system always try to boot from network.And after the first restart the BIOS setting has been lost(and PXE come first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Sun Fire X4540 in a reboot cycle

So I have a lot of equipment in San Diego racks and there was a recent county-wide black out. Our data racks are supposedly on diesel generators. Most everything made it through the outage just fine without any issue. But for whatever reason, one of our X4540's developed a quirky habit of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: genkuro
3 Replies

8. Solaris

How to find missing disks on Sun x4150 without reboot?

Hi, Here is the issue: There are 4 disks on this Sun x4150 system under Solaris 10, but only 1 disk can be seen by the OS. I've tried commands disks and devfsadm but not working. It's an important production server, so 'reboot -r' is not a choice. # format < /dev/null Searching for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to avoid time command output

Hi, I have 2 queries 1 .when I run some unix command, I am getting the output of "time" at std output (screen) for eg zegrep <pattern> *.v.gz I almost found the reason but not sure, if the no of files matching *.v.gz is more then I am getting the time command output at the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvaka
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Sun Server T2000 occasionally reboot

Hi, i am really 'fresh' to Solaris or any UNIX OS. My role as web developer but i need slightly involve to Solaris support. It is harder for me to understand it and i recently encounter a problems. /var file system (/dev/md/rdsk/d425) is being checked. run fsck -F ufs /dev/md/rdsk/d425 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: webster5u
8 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question