# 1  
Old 11-26-2008
Printing queue in rs6000

Hi,

I'm at following old machine:
Code:
@rs6000:/:> uname -a
AIX rs6000 2 4 007016224C00

We are facing some problems with print queues, whenever a print queue gets stuck we cannot cancel it, we don't have any other option except restarting the machine, we have following queues:
Code:
@rs6000:/etc:> lpstat
Queue   Dev   Status    Job Files              User         PP %   Blks  Cp Rnk
------- ----- --------- --- ------------------ ---------- ---- -- ----- --- ---
qlp8    lp8   READY
qlp7    dummy UNKNOWN
mainpri lp0   READY
qlp1    lp1   READY
qlp2    lp2   READY
qlp3    lp3   READY
qlp4    lp4   READY
qlp5    hp@le READY
qw6     @qw7  READY

Suppose qlp3 goes to WAIT or BUSY state, we cannot cancel it using cancel qlp3 command.

Sometimes errpt displays Asynchronous Adapter failed message, in that case we must restart machine as well, is there any way to solve these problems without restarting the machine?

One last question, we have to explicitly run command every time system restarts:
Code:
startsrc -s qdaemon

I was looking for /etc/rc.d directory where I can create some startup script file and run this command automatically but I don't find any rc.d directory, how can I put above command in my system's startup?

Your help would be highly appreciated.
# 2  
Old 11-26-2008
Did you try the smit printing spool commands or the enq -x (man enq) on command line for example to cancel the jobs?
You can also try to refresh the qdaemon and maybe then try to cancel if still necessary.

For starting the qdaemon, make an appropriate entry into /etc/rc.tcpip.
# 3  
Old 11-26-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxxon
Did you try the smit printing spool commands or the enq -x (man enq) on command line for example to cancel the jobs?
You can also try to refresh the qdaemon and maybe then try to cancel if still necessary.

For starting the qdaemon, make an appropriate entry into /etc/rc.tcpip.
Thanks for your reply. I'll check the manual for enq command, but can you please tell me how to refresh qdaemon? Any idea about asynchronous adapter failing? how to resolve that issue without restarting the server?

I'll check /etc/rc.tcpip file as well for starting qdaemon automatically. Thanks.
# 4  
Old 11-26-2008
Code:
refresh -s qdaemon

For the "asynchronous adapter failing" best see if you get an error number or something and check IBM documentation or simply google with it.
# 5  
Old 11-26-2008
You might want to explore the "qadm" command (man qadm). The spooled printer files reside in "/var/spool/lpd/*" (have a look there, its pretty intuitive) and /var/spool/qdaemon respectively.

You will find your queue definitions (as well as the queue device definitions) in the file "/etc/qconfig".

I hope this helps.

bakunin
# 6  
Old 11-26-2008
Thanks a lot for your replies. I'll check all those options and report back.

When I issue command like lpstat or enq -A, I have to press ctrl+Z to come out of this which will generate this message
Code:
[1] + Stopped (SIGTSTP)        enq -A
@rs6000:/:> exit
There are stopped jobs.

Is it okay or I have to adopt some other way to come out of lpstat?
# 7  
Old 11-26-2008
I doubt that this is normal behaviour. If it works and after that everything is continuing as normal, you maybe just get used to it.
Do you have the latest ML (Maintenance Level) installed for your OS version?
Is there anything about the printing queue etc. in the errpt?
Maybe it is an option to write down the setting for the old queues and to drop them out of the system, and reconfigure them or something like that. Not sure if you even can reinstall the packages.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX 5.1 and RS6000

I've an old server 1996 RS6000 (Processor 604e) running AIX 5.1. It started up fine, booted up and connected on 10Mbit with my router. I used to be able to connect to it with telnet but not anymore. I know the IP is right but working with the smit tcpip options, looks like I've changed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Devyn
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sco Unix printing : jobs hangs in queue - printing via lp versus hpnpf

Hi, We have a Unix 3.2v5.0.5. I installed a printer via scoadmin, HP network printer manager with network peripheral name (hostname and ipadres are in /etc/hosts). This is the configuration file : Code: root@sco1 # cat configurationBanner: on:AlwaysContent types: simpleDevice:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haezeban
0 Replies

3. AIX

Remote printing to Linux CUPS queue

Hello all. I am setting up a queue under AIX 4.2.1 to print to a remote Linux CUPS queue. At present I can print to the queue remotely from Windows but not AIX. What I am seeing is lpstat reads the state of the remote queue but at job submission time I am getting backend exit fatal errors. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tgx
4 Replies

4. AIX

Reinstalling AIX 4.3 on IBM RS6000

Hey guys, I'm a newbie in Unix world.. Currently in my office lies an old IBM RS6000 which hasn't been maintained for a very long time. The former admin has resigned and we don't have any documentation or whatsoever regarding the old machine. All I know that it is an RS6000 is because of what's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arch4ng3l
4 Replies

5. AIX

VNC or X Emulator on RS6000 AIX 5.2

Hello everyone, I have just joined your forum even though I have been using it on and off for couple of months now. Up until now I have been able to find any information I needed by just browsing this site or performing a Google search, but now I'm stuck!. I was hoping you could help me with... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: juniorG
16 Replies

6. AIX

New to AIX and got my hands on a RS6000 v.need help getting it on the network

So im fairly new to AIX and my knowledge is very, very limited but i got my hands on an RS6000 43P model and im trying to get it on the network so i can access it from work. I have pretty much tried everything i can/know how to do by reading up as much as i can but im still lost. I have the 43P... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IIIII
2 Replies

7. AIX

Re-Installation of AIX 5.2 in RS6000 7026

Hi There!! I need to reinstall the operating system AIX 5.2 in a RS6000 7026/6H1 that has AIX 4.3 but I need a firmware upgrade that I dón´t know where can I obtain. - Platform firmware version 3 or later. Someone can help me please, I will be very grateful !! Thank´s. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terron79
1 Replies

8. AIX

Printing multiple copies via remote queue

Hi all, I have an interesting problem. Using remote queues to print using jetdirect printers I am unable to get a printer to print multiple copies of a print job. command being used: lpr -P -#3 ./test (one copy prints) Also tried: enq -P -C3 ./test (same results) Any ideas? ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Luck
6 Replies

9. AIX

RS6000 SSA Raid question

Hi Can I add disks on the fly to extend the capacity of an existing RAID 5 volume? It's created on a 4P Advanced SSA Raid Adapter. I need to extend a volume group, so I figured it would be easiest to extend the "physical disk" which is a RAID5 volume. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: osee
1 Replies

10. Programming

Good IDE for C++ on RS6000/AIX

I am looking for the above Can anyone point me to a reliable product, with available support in the forseeable future ? Seeker (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seeker
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question