A simple UNIXtime component in Vue.js

Top Forums Web Development A simple UNIXtime component in Vue.js
# 1  
Old 11-07-2018
A simple UNIXtime component in Vue.js

A shout out to Scott who gave me a helping hand to turn a simple sample Vue.js app I wrote yesterday into a Vue.js component:

Code:
Vue.component("unix-time", {
  template: `<div class="time">{{unixtime}}</div>`,
  data() {
    return {
      unixtime: ""
    };
  },
  methods: {
    UpdateTime() {
      this.unixtime = Math.round(new Date().getTime() / 1000);
    }
  },
  created() {
    setInterval(() => {
      this.UpdateTime();
    }, 1000);
  }
});

For any Vue'ers who want the complete code, you can add this component to any root Vue.js element as long as the Vue instance is instantiated after the component appears in the script, for example, any root level element (like the one below) that appears after the component.

Code:
new Vue({
    el: '#myunixtime',
})

Then, in the HTML, just do something like this:

Code:
<div id="myunixtime">
      <unix-time></unix-time>
</div>

Thanks again to Scott for learning Vue.js with me and for the helping hand!

Maybe we will add this simple unixtime clock to the forums somewhere or use this component to replace the unixtime on the home page.....
This User Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:
# 2  
Old 11-07-2018
OK... decided to add this Vue.js component to each of our forum man pages.

Basically, to do this, just do three steps:
  1. Add the Vue.js JS lib to the page
  2. Add the unixtime.js code to the page
  3. Add the HTML to the page

In our case, we added two lines to our HTML template forum_man-pages right above the closing body tag:

Code:
<body>

<script src="/scripts/vue/dist/vue.js"></script>
<script src="/scripts/vue/neo/js/unixtime.js"></script>

</body>

Code:
# cat unixtime.js

Vue.component("unix-time", {
  template: `<div class="neo-man-caps" style="font-size:1.2em;">Current Unix Time: {{unixtime}}</div>`,
  data() {
    return {
      unixtime: "initializing ..."
    };
  },
  methods: {
    UpdateTime() {
      this.unixtime = Math.round(new Date().getTime() / 1000);
    }
  },
  created() {
    setInterval(() => {
      this.UpdateTime();
    }, 1000);
  }
});

var app = new Vue({
  el: "#vue"
});

also, added this HTML to the same template:

Code:
<div id="vue" align="center" style="margin:20px 0px 10px 0px;">
      <unix-time></unix-time>
</div>

You can see the results on every man page, for example:

FreeBSD 11.0 - man page for alias (freebsd section 1)
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Web Development

Vue.js component: Beautiful code highlighter

Sooner than later I will render forum discussions in Vue.js to complement the standard way of showing forum threads. Today, I ran across this component, vue-code-highlight Beautiful code syntax highlighting as Vue.js component. https://www.unix.com/members/1-albums225-picture1199.jpg ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies

2. Web Development

The State of Vue.js

Here is very good video from Evan You, founder of Vue.js, on the state of Vue.js State of Vuenation with Evan You Here is a nice PDF report on Vue.js Update State of Vue.js Report Vue.js is now the second most starred project on GitHub, recently surpassing Bootstrap. These two... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

3. Web Development

Vue JS 2 Tutorial by The Net Ninja: A Recommended Vue.js Video Tutorial Series

A number of people have asked me how to get started with Vue.js and my reply before today was to Google "Vue.js". That has changed and my recommendation to anyone who wants to learn the fastest growing, easiest to learn and use Vue.js web dev framework is to watch this video tutorial series: ... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

4. Web Development

Simple Vue.js Component to Redirect to External Web Page Using Vue Router

Vue Router has some quirks and on of the quirks is that it is not reliable when adding external links using the vue-router library. After struggling with many solutions, I have found that creating a simple Vue.js component like this one seems to work the best (so far): Component Example: ... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

5. Web Development

A Simple Way to Set Meta Tags Using Vue.js

Did a lot of searching on the net and found a lot of tricky ways and Vue.js libs to set meta tags, but I wanted sometime simpler. So, given this standard HTML: <head> <title>Page Title</title> <meta name="description" content="Page Description"> <meta name="keywords" content="Page... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple records need to convert UNIXtime to human readable datatime and all output in one format

Hello Experts, Below is the record i have: sample data attached I want this record of each row to be in single line and there are multiple rowise unixtime mentioned e.g 11996327 , This needs to be converted to Human readdable data and time from multiple rows Can you help me , it will be... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishK
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

unixtime to formatted date time

Hi, I need to take the unix time and format it to a date/time string like this yyyymmdd,hhmmss I'm wrting in shell but have tried calling perl, but all the perl options I found on here puts output to Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1970 format. Any help? Cheers Neil (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace date_time to unixtime in csv.file

Hello, since hours I am trying to replace in a csv-file the date_time to unixtime. I tried sed, awk but not successful. I can not call a shell command within awk. Probably there is an easier way. Thanks in advance for your help Regards, telemi test.csv: 2010-04-22... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: telemi
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

converting localtime to unixtime

hi, how to convert the localtime to unixtime? i have date from the date command in unix i want to convert it into unixtime thnx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshishK
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with unixtime!

Hi, i have wrote a scripts thats connect too some tables in a phpBB community. I have got contact with all of the tables but becouse phpBB uses unixtime, it is showed wrong. 0312011557 (Wednesday, 12. january, 15.57). I ask on this page becouse it is a unixpage, sow I wonder i someone has a script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ett
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question