How to use grep to check NAN value and nonexistense element in file

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to use grep to check NAN value and nonexistense element in file
# 1  
Old 12-17-2007
How to use grep to check NAN value and nonexistense element in file

Hi,

I have a file which computes fields number and some column produced "nan"
I would like to convert the "nan" value to 0 basically.

q=`echo $i $j |awk '{printf("%f",($2/($1+$2)))}'
The above is the command which I use for computation. However, I would
like to check if $1 and $2 is 0, it will return 0 and echo as q=0 rather than nan.

Besides, I would like to know how can we check nonexistence element from grep

k=`grep -n " $char"'$'"" a.txt.txt|tr ":" " "|awk '{print $1}'

Above is the command which I used to grep and check a value of first field element. However, I would like to check if the grep returns me 0 (none found), it would print a constant value of 1000 let say.

Please help. Thanks.

-Jason
# 2  
Old 12-17-2007
Hi,

I used:-

q=`echo $i $j |awk '{if($1 == 0 && $2 == 0) print "0"}'`

k=`echo $q |awk '{if($1 == 0) print "0"}'`

by adding the above two statements to counter the two possibilities.However, after I added these, the condition where $1 and $2 is not "0" and grep is not "0" could not be printed out.

Is my syntax somehow wrong which cause the q and k to update itself. The way I code them is basically if the condition stated fulfill, the value of q and k shall be updated.

Please advise. Thanks.

-Jason
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk replace cells with NaN/delete if condition

Hello, I will like to delete/replace $3 with NaN. condition $3>-2000 (file1.dat) to produce out.dat. I want to retain the structure of the table. I use this code, this output only $3. Any idea on how to modify this code. Thank you. awk -v OFS='' '{for(i=1; i<=NF; i++) if ($i > -2000 || $i ==" >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: check element in array and it's value

Hello, I want to see if element exists in array, if so then, check it's corresponding value. Column 4 is position and column 1 is the chromosome for it. There are duplicates for one position on one chromosome. I want to check if same position exists on different chromosome: Data... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: genome
8 Replies

3. Programming

Strange value of the double type variable: -nan(0x8000000000000)

I am confused by the value of "currdisk->currangle" after adding operation. Initially the value of "currdisk->currangle" is 0.77500000000000013, but after adding operation, it's changed to "-nan(0x8000000000000)", Can anyone explain ? Thanks! The following is the occasion of gdb debugging. 3338 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: How to check whether my array contains element x

Hi All, I am new to perl I am stuck in simple problem I need your help I want to define a subroutine. sub check_if_entity_exists(@array_to_be_checked,$entityName) I have array as http-listener-1 http-listener-2 http-listener-3 http-listener-4 If i send http-listener-3 my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: javaholics
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find if XML element has a matching required element

I want to check if every <Part> element has corresponding <Description> in this sample XML. ....<Lot Of XML> <Inv lineNumber="2"> <Item> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Advanced grep'in... grep for data next to static element.

I have a directory I need to grep which consists of numbered sub directories. The sub directory names change daily. A file resides in this main directory that shows which sub directories are FULL backups or INCREMENTAL backups. My goal is to grep the directory for the word "full" and then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SysAdm2
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help! Yet another check element in array Question

Greetings, DISCLAIMER: My shell scripting is rusty so my question may be borderline stupid. You've been warned. I need to create a script that a) lists the content of zip files in a directory and b) sends out an `exception` report. My ZIP files contain a control file (for load check). I want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check index of a array element in shell script?

Example - Script to find the index of a month from array MONTHS="Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec" set -A MON $MONTHS A="Sun May 23 09:34:30 GMT 2010" getMonth=`echo $A|cut -c5-7` ##getMonth=May Arrayindex_in_MONTHS_array= ???? # { 0,1,2,3,4 } - at fifth place ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: KuldeepSinghTCS
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check a particular element in a string variable

Hi, I have a string variable containing value say abc123 I want to check if the 3rd element of this string is "c" in a if statement.Actually i dont know the syntax of how to use substring in an if statement in shell script. Please reply soon. Regards Navjot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: navjotsingh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep - check the permissions of the file searched

What I need to do is: I need to use the grep command to search for pattern in directory and sub-directories. And also I need to show the permission of file been seached by the grep command. Could any one please suggest me? ----------------- $> cat file1.txt A -----------------... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johny001
8 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question