Why process leader can not call setsid()

Top Forums Programming Why process leader can not call setsid()
# 1  
Old 09-09-2002

# 2  
Old 09-09-2002
To guarantee that processes in a process group are in the same session. Once this guarantee is in place you can think of a session as a collection of process groups.
# 3  
Old 10-08-2002
the main usage of setsid is to make a particular process to lead the group. Once this level is achieved there is no need to call setsid() once again.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xargs to call python executable to process multiple bam files

I am running the below loop that to process the 3 bam files (which isn't always the case). A .py executable is then called using | xargs sh to further process. If I just run it with echo the output is fine and expected, however when | xargs sh is added I get the error. I tried adding | xargs... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Guido van Rossum resigns as Python Leader...

Yup it's true: Transfer of power This will put Python development in disarray. Which reminded me of this thread I posted some time ago: https://www.unix.com/what-is-on-your-mind-/249767-has-python-lost-plot.html MadeInGermany's post 3 is probably one of the reasons but not quoted.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Exit() system call verses process signals

Hello and thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me I've been reading up on process signal calls (sighup, sigint, sigkill & sigterm) and I understand they all have different methods of terminating a running process. From what I've also read is a exit() actually terminates a process. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bodisha
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Work with setsid to open a session and close it correctly

I would like to create the following script: run a python script with setsid python may or may not fail with exception check if all of the group processes were terminated correctly if not, kill the remaining processes How can I do that? Thanks a lot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASF Studio
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

View User Mode Call Stack of Hung Process

I have a multithreaded usermode program(actually a daemon) which is in hanged state. To debug it I tried attaching the process to gdb, but the gdb hangs. gstack also gets hanged. I peeped into the proc file system and saw the process to be in sleeping state. /proc/sysrq-trigger I guess... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call a background process in perl?

Hi, I want to put the following code as a parallel or background process The program is as below: $n=10; #Count of files to be created. for($j=0;$j<=$n;$j++) { open(FH,">files_$j.txt") || warn "cannot create a file\n"; { print FH "count of file: $j\n"; #Sample data to be written. just... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX System Call for creating process

Hell Sir, This is chanikya Is there any System call which behaves just like fork but i dont want to return back two times to the calling func. In the following ex iam creating a child process in the called func but the ex prints two times IN MAIN. ex :- calling() { fork(); } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chanikya
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Generating key values for leader records

All, I have a file with text as shown below. I want the o/p file with generated values in the first column as shown in the o/p file. Pls note that the size of my file is 6 GB. How do i do this ? Input file 999999abcdef 999999ghijkl 999999mnopq 777777rosesarered 777777skyisblue Output... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajfaq
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question