mapping drives

Special Forums IP Networking mapping drives
# 1  
Old 01-18-2002
Question mapping drives

how can i map a shared network drive? Is there any command to perform mapping?

For example if i want to map a shared directory named "wwwroot" in machine "dev001" to my machine's "X" drive, how can it be done??

-Thanks
Sakthi.
# 2  
Old 01-18-2002
If you're talking about mapping a Unix directory to a Windows drive, your most likely bet is to run Samba on the Unix server. It provides Windows Network connectivity, so you won't need anything special on the Windows end - just some extra config on the Unix end.

Another way would be something like NFS, but that's less common for Unix/Windows connectivity.

Check out http://www.samba.org for more info / downloads.

Hope that helps.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Many to many -- mapping

INPUT 13333--TEXT1 14444--TEXT2 13333--TEXT3 12233--TEXT5 14444--TEXT5 12233--TEXT1 12222--TEXT5 13333--TEXT09 what I'm looking for is something using awk arrays with below given output. 14444--TEXT2,TEXT5 13333--TEXT1,TEXT3,TEXT09 12233--TEXT5,TEXT1 12222--TEXT5 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mapping Servers

Hi All, I need an urgent assistance please . My case below: I have a list of 500 IP addresses. All These ip addresses are mapped/connected to different machine kinds : NT, Linux, Switch, Router ,FW, and so on. My Requirement is to filter from all this ip address only the Linux machines.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: James Stone
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help With Mapping machine

Hi All, I need an urgent assistance please . My case below: I have a list of 500 IP addresses. All These ip addresses are mapped/connected to different machine kinds : NT, Linux, Switch, Router ,FW, and so on. My Requirement is to filter from all this ip address only the Linux... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: James Stone
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mapping two files

I have a large comma delimited file from which i have to extract a specific column, compare it against a static file and replace the column value with the matching column from the static file. The following are the files: Main file: mainfile.csv test1234,,real,,,,open,,,,EU,,,,23/03/2012... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating unique mapping from multiple mapping

Hello, I do not know if this is the right title to use. I have a large dictionary database which has the following structure: where a b c d e are in English and p q r s t are in a target language., the two separated by the delimiter =. What I am looking for is a perl script which will take... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bit Mapping

Hi All, I am working on the Scenario where i need compare the integer value with other using bit mapping. input file, 1,4,5,4 1,2,4,6 2,3,4,4 like i have many fields. Script : i need to filter hte field one value "1" and field 3 value "4" and Filed 4 i need to do the Bitwise... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: readycpbala
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern mapping

Dear Friends, Please help me on this I have file A.txt containing text lines as below grectec; 30 ,50, 60, base_123 ; top09 grectec; 30 ,55, 60, base_123 ; top09 grectec; 10 ,53, 60, base_123 ; top09 grectec; 50 ,57, 60, base_123 ; top09 ... ... another file B.txt containing test... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danish Shakil
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mapping PF Keys in Vi

This is my first post and right off the bat, I want to let you know that my experience in UNIX is 2 days only backed up with over 20 years of IT working. So, if this is a dumb question or too stupid, please bear with me. I read somewhere on the web and also on these forums that you can map your... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sssccc
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

kernel mapping...

> how the sendmsg and recvmsg calls will know which kernel module to use (SCTP, RTP etc.) internally(kernel mapping: how kernel handle socket call) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prangin
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

how floppy disks, CDs and flash drives (pen drives) are accessed in UNIX

hi how floppy disks, CDs and flash drives (pen drives) are accessed in UNIX? thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nokia1100
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question