Cannot create user using SMITTY

Operating Systems AIX Cannot create user using SMITTY
# 1  
Old 06-06-2011
Cannot create user using SMITTY

i'm using smitty to create user...what happen is it prompt me "failed" with error
Code:
3004-703 Check "/etc/security/login.cfg" file. 
3004-691 Error changing "shell". 
3004-703 Check "/usr/lib/security/mkuser.default" file. 
3004-721 Could not create user. 
3004-703 Check "/usr/lib/security/mkuser.sys" file. 
: THE FILE ACCESS PERMISSIONS DO NO ALLOW THE SPECIFIED ACTION.

Code:
in the machin that i have problem
ls -lrt /usr/lib/security/mkuser.sys
-rwxr-x---    1 root     security       1947 Jun 23 2007  /usr/lib/security/mkuser.sys

in other machin thats working fine 
ls -lrt /usr/lib/security/mkuser.sys
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     security         24 Jul 09 2010  /usr/lib/security/mkuser.sys -> /etc/security/mkuser.sys

Last edited by thecobra151; 06-06-2011 at 12:21 PM..
# 2  
Old 06-06-2011
stupid question but you are running smitty as root, right?
# 3  
Old 06-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rn_
stupid question but you are running smitty as root, right?

yes i am
# 4  
Old 06-06-2011
what about /etc/security/login.cfg. has it been changed? The first error appears to be related to this file and the rest are probably just a consequence of the failure of that one.
# 5  
Old 06-06-2011
no the /etc/security/login.cfg. did not changed

more information

i can modify and delete any user account but creating user is what i have problem with it
# 6  
Old 06-06-2011
Can you create a user with the "mkuser" command like this:

Code:
host:/:$ lsuser user1
3004-687 User "user1" does not exist.
host:/:$ mkuser user1
host:/:$ lsuser user1
user1 id=221 pgrp=staff groups=staff home=/home/user1 shell=/usr/bin/ksh login=true su=true rlogin=true daemon=true admin=false sugroups=ALL admgroups= tpath=nosak ttys=ALL expires=0 auth1=SYSTEM auth2=NONE umask=22 registry=files SYSTEM=compat logintimes= loginretries=0 pwdwarntime=5 account_locked=false minage=0 maxage=0 maxexpired=8 minalpha=2 minother=2 mindiff=0 maxrepeats=8 minlen=0 histexpire=26 histsize=0 pwdchecks= dictionlist= fsize=-1 cpu=-1 data=-1 stack=-1 core=-1 rss=-1 nofiles=-1 roles=
host:/:$

# 7  
Old 06-06-2011
dear kah00na its gives me this error agine

Code:

>mkuser khaled
3004-703 Check "/etc/security/audit/config" file.
3004-691 Error changing "auditclasses".
3004-703 Check "/usr/lib/security/mkuser.default" file.
3004-721 Could not create user.
3004-703 Check "/usr/lib/security/mkuser.sys" file.
 : The file access permissions do not allow the specified action.

Last edited by thecobra151; 06-07-2011 at 05:43 PM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Smitty

Hi All, Im new in aix, anyone can advice is there any way to understand smitty ?:confused: Thanks. TCP. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tcp01315
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find if a User exist if not create user

What I'm trying to do is write a script in Perl to find a user and if that user exist it would print "User Exist, Pls Try Again". If The user doesn't exist I'm able to create a user with a password. Any suggestions? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoBoyGo
3 Replies

3. AIX

Usage of smitty alt_mksysb

Hello, in which situations should I use smitty alt_mksysb ? What is the general purpose of this tool. Thanks for help, p (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pitmod
1 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbhound
12 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Create New User with the same group nd privileges of the other user

Hi, Anyone can help me on how to duplicate privileges and group for useroradb01 to userrootdb01. I have currently using "useroradb01" and create a newly user "userrootdb01". I want both in the sames privileges and group. Please see the existing users list below; drwxr-xr-x 53 useroradb01... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
0 Replies

6. AIX

Sudo and smitty

Hello everyone I have a question. Its possible to type smitty mksysb using sudo ? I have a partition and install sudo I create a user for use sudo. I make a test with sudo and command line for the mksysb and its ok sudo mksysb -i /dev/rmt0 and I can make my mksysb. My question... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
1 Replies

7. AIX

mksysb with smitty

Hello I need to make a mksysb, I try with smitty but I get the next message 0512-017 mksysb: Cannot write to the device /dev/rmt3. Either write protected or in use. My tape are ready to write ( dont get protection) I use the clean tape and I try with other tapes but I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I create user but i cant login the user i created.

I created a user, i login as a root. I add him in the group where he can access and login as a root! I checked it in users' list and in group's list, he is there. My problem is this, I cant login using the username/account I just created! What should i do to use and login the user/account i've just... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Other than root user .Normal user is unable to create files

Hi all, I am using Sun Solaris 9 .In this system normal users unable to create files from the command line.I added these users in bin,adm and even root group i found them unable to create a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mallesh
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

smitty, remove user, remove directory as well..

hi, i am on aix. i used smitty to remove a user.. but then found that its directory still exists.... so i have to remove the directory manually... am i doing it the right way? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question