SingleLogicalScreen

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers SingleLogicalScreen
# 1  
Old 01-03-2008
SingleLogicalScreen

Hi complete newbie to Unix. Sorry in advance if this is long-winded.
Been assigned task of getting a HP-UX Visualize C3600 Workstation running. Machine has two A4982B Fxe video cards. Machine did not come with a monitor so purchased Westinghouse L2410NM24 in. with 1920X1200 resolution.

Upon start of HP first thing that comes up is message to set Screen Resolution to 1920X1200. Using the Tab key, changed the resolution to 1280X1084 which is the highest I assume the fxe card will support so right from the start thinking of purchasing a different monitor might be part of the solution. However, if I can get the Westinghouse working, that would be the ideal solution.

Error upon startup is:
The X-server can not be started on display minea.neuromag.fi:0.0

Logfile contains this information:

The X-server can not be started
XIO fatal IO error 232 (Connection reset by peer) on X server "minea.neuromag.fi:0.0"
after 0 requests ( known processed) with 0 events remaining).
A Heterogeneous Single Logical Screen Configuration was Detected.
A Heterogeneous Configuration exists if you've combined different types of graphics cards in your Logical Screen
(ex., HCRX24 and a CRX24). Your server will come up in a non-SLS mode.

Was able to login at the Console Login prompt.
I do need to have the X-server running in order to use the installed custom software.
In my attempts to resolve the issue, I noticed that /etc/X11/X0screens contains the line:
SingleLogicalScreen 1 2
/dev/crt /dev/crt0

Figured that might of been at least part of the problem since I don't want to use dual monitors. Tried to edit the X0screens file but got Permission denied. Assumed you need to be root user to modify the file but was unable to login as root using the password supplied by the former user - but maybe this is because of the console login(?) -- not sure.

Stuck at this point. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited by westcoast; 01-03-2008 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: added more text
# 2  
Old 01-03-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast
Assumed you need to be root user to modify the file but was unable to login as root using the password supplied by the former user - but maybe this is because of the console login(?) -- not sure.
You will need to solve this problem. Try logging in as normal user then using "su -".

Alternatively, get xdm running and use X over a network.

For xdm, look in /usr/dt/config.

You would need Xaccess to have a line saying "*"
Xconfig needs to have "Dtlogin.requestPort: 0" commented out

At the bottom of Xservers there should be a reference to the console, as I have mine headless this is commented out.
# 3  
Old 01-07-2008
Sls

Thanks, logged in as su and deleted SLS setup in Xscreens. File now only contains:
Screen /dev/crt

Works ok now.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread
Login or Register to Ask a Question