Error help with C programming, perror

i am trying to use the perror function:

something like

perror("WRONG!!!");

but when i see the message in the terminal, it comes out like

WRONG!!! : Success

How can i change it to

WRONG!!! : WRONG!!!

well i just want to have my own custom message for the part after the colon...
# 2  
Old 02-12-2011
You can't. The second part of the message is derived from the current value of the "errno" variable. The strings come from message files or directly from libc and cannot be altered.

If you want a completely customized message, just use fprintf instead:
Code:
fprintf (stderr, "WRONG!!! : WRONG!!!\n");

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

From iOS programming to Linux system programming

Hello. I like Linux and C programming language. Allways wanted to understand kernel and become a Linux system programmer. And I also like Objective-C and iOS. These two programming areas have relations: 1. Linux and iOS are UNIX-like systems, POSIX compliant. 2. It is useful to know C language... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rockatansky
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

perror with signals

I have following problem with this code.. First time trough the main loop..... perror gives ....blocked signal:success(all other times gives illlegal seek) Should every time trought the main loop be success?? And the perror otside of main loop...didn't change mask:success That line of code... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joker40
2 Replies

4. Programming

C Programming - Hardware Programming

Can someone help me on suggesting some ways to access the memory content in RAM directly from C/C++ source code. Please provide me any book name or any URL so that I can get an exhaustive knowledge over it. If possible please give me some tips on interacting with hardwares directly through... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nandumishra
3 Replies

5. Programming

does perror() set errno?

here the program gives a odd result: #include <stdio.h> int main(){ perror("first"); perror("next"); return 0; } result: first: Success next: Illegal seek why? any resonable explanation? i found no information about this in man pages. thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ebd
2 Replies

6. Programming

A question about printing error message with perror

Dear all, I use perror in order to print an error message to the standar error. For example if a C program is called without its two necessary command line parameters then : if (argc != 3) { perror("use: ./myProgram <source file> <target file>\n"); return 1; } Now the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dariyoosh
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Carreer:Networking Programming in Unix (C programming Language)

Hello, I am trying to learn Networking Programming in C in unix enviorment. I want to know how good it is to become a network programmer. i am crazy about Network programming but i also want to opt for the best carreer options. Anybody experienced Network Programmer, please tell me is my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
5 Replies

8. Programming

C++ programming

Sorry to ask this question here... where can I find a C++ programming thread? Thanks guys! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadiamihu
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Systems Programming Vs Unix Programming

Several months ago I found a link that explained the difference between how a Unix Systems Admin would do scripting compared to what a Unix Programmer would do. It showed a basic script and then show several iterations that explained how the Systems Admin would change it to make it better. I was... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BCarlson
0 Replies

10. Programming

c programming or unix programming!?

i would like advice on the usbject of c programming (in the middle of reading a book on C). could i benefit more if i apply that knowledge in the unix format if i were able to, or would that take the point out of learning C, basically I want to stay away from strying too far away from unix and use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question