To check, a table is used in a job

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers To check, a table is used in a job
# 1  
Old 06-26-2010
To check, a table is used in a job

Hi,
I have a list of jobs scheduled in unix. I want to check whether a particular view or table is used in a job. If they are not used, I can make changes to them.

Thanks,
Raaga
# 2  
Old 06-26-2010
While want you want is possible, we need a lot more information.

Generally if the changes you are making to tables would interfere with normal processing, then what you are doing is probably violating some of the constraints of the schema. Otherwise a db's primary design goal is to have lots of simultaneous users against one table. Either way I don't understand your requirement.
# 3  
Old 06-27-2010
@Jim

Actually there are lot of jobs scheduled using crontab which runs on daily basis.
Those jobs used to update some tables, drop tables etc. Suppose I have a table named 'Details' , I need to check whether that table is used by any of the jobs. If the table 'Details' is not used by any of the jobs, I can drop that table or make some changes , so that it will not affect the jobs. So, I have to write a shell script to check this condition and find the list of tables and views, not being used in any of the jobs.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to check if Oracle table exists

I am trying to write a script which allows a user to select the what manipulation he needs to do on a table. I want to check if the table exists or not. If it exists I will continue the other things or else I exit saying table doesn't exist. How might I achieve this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gmatcat
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check the value from Table

Hi I have a requirement like this:A shell script will check a table column if the column name "value" is 'N' then main script start and keep checking within 30 minute whether the column value has changed to 'y'. or not if it has changed to 'y' then stop the server.Please help me to get the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check a field in a table

I have made a table PRD_WORK_LM.test and it contains one field, ctrl_test. This field contains a 0 or a 1. I want to write a unix script that goes like this: IF ctrl_test = 1 THEN ... ELSE exit FI How can I write this in a script? Do I have to do this within bteq? or outside bteq? can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: katled
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Double Check my Cron Job

Hello All, I was wondering if someone could take a quick glance at this Cron job and tell me if it's going to do what I am expecting. I want it to run everyday at 8:00 am and 5:00 pm. And the line in Crontab looks like: 0 8,17 * * * /usr/local/myScript.sh Does that look correct? ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

automatically check job status

I have written a BASH script to autmatically start several jobs. I want to add additional function to the script so it would check these jobs from time to time (the jobs could take as short as 2 hours or as long as 1 day to finish). If a job is done, check the log file and output the error into a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: momentum
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Check the status of job

Hi, I have master job which will run based on the sub jobs status. In the master job I am giving the condition like, condition: s(sub_job) f(sub_job) This scenario will work if the sub job status is success or failed. but I want to run my master job even if the sub_job was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kattoor
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check the record count in table (table in oracle)

I have requirement: 1) Check the record count in table (table in oracle) 2) If records exists generate the file for existing records and wait for some time then Go to sleep mode and Again check the record count after 10 min.......... (Loop this process if record count >0). 3) Generate touch... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kamineni
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check the record count in table (table in oracle)

I have requirement: 1) Check the record count in table (table in oracle) 2) If records exists generate the file for existing records and wait for some time (Go to sleep mode) and Again check the record count after 10 min.......... (Loop this process if record count >0). 3) Generate touch... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kamineni
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to run cron job to truncate database table

hi i'm a bit stuck trying to find the correct syntax in order to run a cron job which just truncates all info from a single table in my database i have a main database - db1 and i have a table in that database - userips i wish to create a cron job that truncates or removes all the info... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wingchun22
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check that backup MX actually does its job

Hey! I have just configured an backup MX using Mail::Toaster under FreeBSD. As I'm a novice when it comes to mailservers, I need to ask someone how to check that this backup really does its job. My primare MX is unfortunately on a Dynamic IP line, but its unsusual for it to change the IP.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question