Failed to mount /usr

Operating Systems Solaris Failed to mount /usr
# 1  
Old 05-14-2012
Failed to mount /usr

I recently ran the Solaris 10 upgrade 10 and everything went fine. About 2 months later after rebooting and getting ready to load the latest upgrade that came out, I am getting this error.

ERROR: svc:/system/filesytem/root: default failed to mount /usr (see 'svc -x' for details)

svc.startd[7]: scv: /system/filesystem/root:default:Method "/lib/svc/method/fs-root" failed with exit status 95
[system/filesystem/root:default failed fatally (see 'svc -x for details)]

Request system Maintenance mode
(see /lib/svc/share/README for more information)
Console login service(s) cannot run.

I have booted with the solaris cd into single user mode, mount s0 to /mnt, checked the vfstab and made sure everything is in order. I have ran fsck on all partitions and pretty much everything else that I have found on a google search.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?
# 2  
Old 05-14-2012
Have you tried sunning "svc -x" as suggested. In most of the cases, it will actually tell you the command to run for the remedy. Is /usr a separate filesystem? Does it have a SAN back-end or it's a local disk? Is the LUN available? etc. etc. These questions come into mind for this sort of troubleshooting.
# 3  
Old 05-14-2012
I ran the svcs -x command and there earlier this morning and did not receive any output from it. /usr is mounted on a local disk

c1t0d0:
s0 /
s1 swap
s3 /usr
s4 /var
s5 /opt
s6 /var/audit
s7 /home
# 4  
Old 05-14-2012
Have you checked /var/adm/messages for possible error messages? What happens when you try to manually mount /usr?
# 5  
Old 05-14-2012
I checked /var/adm/messages and there was nothing in there. I have mounted /usr and there are not any directories or files underneath that as well.
# 6  
Old 05-14-2012
Try to fsck all the filesystems multiple times, sounds crazy but sometimes just one time is not enough. Then mount all the filesystems and try to check files and directory contents. if you have similar installation on another system you can try to count the files and sizes and see if they differ a lot with the problematic one. Check the content of the most important files in /etc directory like system, passwd, shadow, vfstab, svc/repository.db, hosts, inittab.. etc.
If you still have problems take the disk out and try to boot on another HW... if it works then the problem is on the other cabinet.
If it doesn't boot restore from backup.
You can also try to boot with boot -m debug, or boot -v
Hope it helps... there are many other things you can try but that's a beginning

Juan
# 7  
Old 05-18-2012
This could be caused by a number of problems.

1. Is the /usr filesystem there at all? If you boot single user (boot cdrom -s) and mount the /usr filesystem manually (eg. under /a), what can you then see? Can you fsck the filesystem? (unmounted of course) Does it look right?

2. Perhaps the root filesystem driver configuration is screwed. Try telling the system to reconfigure on boot by using the -r switch (boot -r). What happens?

3. Perhaps the software cannot address the hardware due to a device screw up on the root filesystem. eg. /dev/dsk/c?t?d?s? do not allow the O/S to talk to the hardware. If so, you can tell it to rebuild the whole lot.

Boot single user (boot cd -s) USING THE MEDIA FOR THE O/S VERSION YOU ARE NOW RUNNING and mount your harddisk root filesystem under /a, then delete and reconstruct your disk devices:

Code:

rm -f /a/dev/rdsk/c*
rm -f /a/dev/dsk/c*
rm -f /a/dev/cfg/c*
devfsadm -r /a -p /a/etc/path_to_inst

Now check that (/a)/etc/vfstab looks right. Take your time. Use format command to view device names and partition tables (slices) of your drives (especially the /usr one giving you trouble). When you are sure vfstab is right, shutdown the system.

Now be sure to boot with the -r switch (boot -r) the first time you boot and the system will reconfigure all your disk devices and should mount /usr provided you have given the correct information to Solaris in vfstab.

Last edited by hicksd8; 05-18-2012 at 11:05 AM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Upgrade to TL8 failed: bos.net.NFS.client 6.1.8.1 (usr: COMMITTED, root:

dears i am trying to upgrade the TL from TL7 to TL8 and i facing this issue AIX6.1 << End of Success Section >> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ BUILDDATE Verification ...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
2 Replies

2. AIX

Unmounting a failed NFS mount

I have an NFS file system mounted on one of my AIX servers with "mount -v cifs".. The server from which the file system was mounted has crashed and now my "df -g" output is hanging. Is there any was to unmount this NFS file system? I have tried "umount -f". Doesn't work. Or is there any way in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wibhore
6 Replies

3. Red Hat

cannot mount after failed reiserfsck --rebuild-tree

Anyone know of a way to get a FS to mount after a reiserfsck --rebuild-tree has failed on it? I am running Linux 5.2. I have read a bit about ddrescue, not sure if it can be run with a raid 10. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: king_hippo
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

/usr out of disk space need to unmount/ expand volume /mount

Greetings, I am running HP-UX 10.2 and /usr is out of disk space already. I installed IE 5.0 for UNIX on my machine under /usr and browsed the Internet for a while and presto no more disk space. I have plenty of hard disk space on my computer so would like to expand the size of the volume. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dirk_
5 Replies

5. Solaris

smf fails to mount svc:/system/filesystem/usr:default

http://i44.tinypic.com/2cmq7vn.jpg Please help me on this issue i'm using solaris on vmware x86 even i runed fsck on root disk like 'fsck -Y /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0 ' but again after reboot it is going to maintanance mode reply soon (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: knl.sundeep
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Mount /usr as a separate filesystem

Hi All, I have mount /usr directory as a seperate filesystem.The /usr directory includedd in / root file system.I have to mount it as seperate. Please Help me, Thanks and Regards, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbreddy
7 Replies

7. Solaris

/usr unable to mount

Hi All, I need help on this issue and it is a production server. /usr is unable to mount and make system can't even type any commands. Only this show and no changes makes to the system. ERROR: svc:/system/filesystem/root:default failed to mount /usr (see 'svcs -x' for details) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailbox80
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Boot problem: failed to mount /usr

My Solaris10 cannot boot after I made an error when apending the vfstab to: dev to mount======/dev/dsk/c0d0p1:1 device to fsck====== <blank> mount pt=========/Data FS Type==========pcfs fsck pass=========- mount at boot=====yes mount options===== <blank> My 'Data' partition is a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maag
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 9 Installation Error: Mount Failed

I have Pentium 4 CPU with 3 GHZ 500MB of RAM w/ 120 GB of HDD space. I am trying to install Sun Solaris 9 (x86). I saw somewhere to on-line to get Device Configuration Assistant, but I am not sure where or if you guys have any documentations on this issue. This is the error I am getting: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vtsao
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mount: failed, reason given by server: Permission denied

Hi , I have a filesystem on AIX 4.3.3 which i need to share with other clients who use Windows NT and Redhat linux 7.3. I use samba to share this with Windows NT Clients. Now i was to share this with Linux clients. When i try to nfs mount this on Linux i get "mount: failed, reason given by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sushesh
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question