Free shell account for UNIX.

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Free shell account for UNIX.
# 1  
Old 04-28-2013
Free shell account for UNIX.

Hi I want to practice UNIX on my computer. I need a free shell account.. tcsh - in specific .. anyone who can help? thanks in advance
I googled it on the web- but was unable to download.. after clicking on each link..
# 2  
Old 04-28-2013
Here are some I looked at, seemed OKl, and my notes from a few months ago:

arbornet - freebsd - too slow?
cjb.net - freebsd
polarhome - one time $10 setup
sdf - netbsd - seems like old shell version
# 3  
Old 04-28-2013
why not install a *nix on your computer? or in a virtuell machine?
# 4  
Old 04-28-2013
I agree it's better to have a local machine. I used the online shell accounts to check out how a few commands of interest behave differently on different unix variants.
# 5  
Old 04-28-2013
virtualbox/vmware/etc... and install your own UNIX locally and run in a VM. Or you might be able to practice tcsh with Cygwin though I don't recommend that.
# 6  
Old 04-29-2013
Oracle has prebuilt Virtual Box VM's for Solaris 11

Oracle Solaris 11 VM Downloads
# 7  
Old 04-30-2013
Quote:
Oracle has prebuilt Virtual Box VM's for Solaris 11
Could you explain a little how that works? I read on wikipedia some. Does the VirtualBox run under Windows, and then the Solaris run in the VirtualBox? Is the performance OK, or do the multiple layers slow it down? Basically, is a good thing to try?

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Cant close UNIX.com account

Hi, Can someone point me in the direction of the "close account" or "delete account" page, as i no longer want my account. I have sent 2 messages to the webmaster who has just ignored my message, and there is no advice in the faq and googling brings no answer. I want to remove my account... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Fanny Zoddar
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

How to list shell of account?

Hello. I have been trying to figure out something very simple that I know I've done before; which is list the shell of a specific account. In this case it is the account: "news". I know how to change the shell using chsh, just not list it. I want output like "/bin/sh" only. Any thoughts or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: austinharris43
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need a stable proxy server or free ssh account to visit blocked sites, who can help?

In our country, blogspot.com, twitter.com facebook.com....and more excellent sites are blocked by the Goverment FireWall, who can help me ? thanks a lot for your kind. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shuke
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free UNIX account with installation privileges or install Ubuntu

Hello, I need to install a program that can only be run in unix. I dont have unix on my system. Does anyone know of any free shell accounts with install permissions. I know that there are free shell accounts available on web , but those are without install permission. Does installing Ubuntu... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: akc
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Account

What is the command if i want to view the script of the user being executed. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaibiganmi
0 Replies

6. AIX

AIX shell account

I am just wondering if there is a way I can obtain a free shell account for an AIX server that I can make test drive on it. I tried google search and ibm's web site but couldn't find anything.. regards, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free shell account from work office

How do I get a freeshell account from my office @ work? I've tried sdf.lonestar.org with no luck. Tha Geek (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geek757
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I get a Free Shell Account?

I am new to UNIX and am interested to practice on a Shell account with some basic Unix installed, does anyone know of a free or cheap shell account? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shneurg
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix shell account

i purchased a unix shell account and got myself into a bit of trouble with my providers heh i got 3 automated emails telling me i had 3 background processes running, and my limit is two, which i knew. after a couple of emails between myself and a human being, he suggested i look up... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: turf
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question