Installing EXPECT on unix

Top Forums Programming Installing EXPECT on unix
# 1  
Old 06-17-2009
Installing EXPECT on unix

Friends,

I thought of installing EXPECT but unable to execute 'make', its throwing errors. Am not a 'root' user, will I not be able to install EXPECT in my home directory?
# 2  
Old 06-17-2009
What sort of errors is make throwing? Can you provide some examples?
# 3  
Old 06-18-2009
Here is the error message!!

/export/home/tbnaadh/tcl/expect-5.43 $ make test

/opt/SUNWspro/WS6U2/bin/acc -c -I. -I. -I/qawac/home/tbnaadh/tcl/tcl8.5.7/generic -DEXP_VERSION=\"5.43.0\" -DSCRIPTDIR=\"/expor
t/home/tbnaadh/tcl/usr/local/lib/expect5.43\" -DEXECSCRIPTDIR=\"/export/home/tbnaadh/tcl/usr/local/lib/expect5.43\" -DTCL_DEBUGGER
-DUSE_NON_CONST -DSTTY_BIN=\"/bin/stty\" -DDFLT_STTY="\"sane\"" exp_command.c
"/qawac/home/tbnaadh/tcl/tcl8.5.7/generic/tclInt.h", line 66: warning: typedef redeclared: ptrdiff_t
"/qawac/home/tbnaadh/tcl/tcl8.5.7/generic/tclPort.h", line 27: cannot find include file: "tclUnixPort.h"
"/qawac/home/tbnaadh/tcl/tcl8.5.7/generic/tclIntPlatDecls.h", line 98: syntax error before or at: *
"/qawac/home/tbnaadh/tcl/tcl8.5.7/generic/tclIntPlatDecls.h", line 98: syntax error before or at: *
"/qawac/home/tbnaadh/tcl/tcl8.5.7/generic/tclIntPlatDecls.h", line 98: warning: old-style declaration or incorrect type for: TclpRea
ddir
"/qawac/home/tbnaadh/tcl/tcl8.5.7/generic/tclIntPlatDecls.h", line 113: warning: dubious tag declaration: struct in_addr
"/qawac/home/tbnaadh/tcl/tcl8.5.7/generic/tclIntPlatDecls.h", line 394: syntax error before or at: Tcl_DirEntry
"/qawac/home/tbnaadh/tcl/tcl8.5.7/generic/tclIntPlatDecls.h", line 394: cannot recover from previous errors
*** Error code 10
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `exp_command.o'

Last edited by anaga; 06-18-2009 at 01:11 PM..
# 4  
Old 06-18-2009
Where did you get the expect sources from? Is there a header (include file) named "tclUnixPort.h" on your system?
# 5  
Old 06-18-2009
I downloaded the Expect from "http://expect.nist.gov/#unix.". I have the below said header file on my system.

/qawac/home/tbnaadh/tcl/tcl8.5.7/unix/tclUnixPort.h

Why isn't make could not figure out this header file.

---------- Post updated at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:02 AM ----------

Now getting a different error. i have added the absolute path in tclPort.h file as shown below
#if defined(__WIN32__)
# include "tclWinPort.h"
#else
# include "/export/home/tbnaadh/tcl/tcl8.5.7/unix/tclUnixPort.h"
#endif

Now i am getting the below error while "make"

/export/home/tbnaadh/tcl/expect-5.43 $ make

/opt/SUNWspro/WS6U2/bin/acc -c -I. -I. -I/qawac/home/tbnaadh/tcl/tcl8.5.7/generic -DEXP_VERSION=\"5.43.0\" -DSCRIPTDIR=\"/expor
t/home/tbnaadh/tcl/usr/local/lib/expect5.43\" -DEXECSCRIPTDIR=\"/export/home/tbnaadh/tcl/usr/local/lib/expect5.43\" -DTCL_DEBUGGER
-DUSE_NON_CONST -DSTTY_BIN=\"/bin/stty\" -DDFLT_STTY="\"sane\"" exp_inter.c
"exp_inter.c", line 294: undefined symbol: TCL_REG_BOSONLY
"exp_inter.c", line 866: undefined symbol: TCL_REG_BOSONLY
*** Error code 2
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `exp_inter.o'
# 6  
Old 06-20-2009
That is the wrong way to include a header from a non-standard location.

You need to add a -I<path_to_location> option to the compiler.
# 7  
Old 06-23-2009
fpmurphy,

I dont have much experience. Can you pleae make me understandable by the above statement. What should I run @ command prompt?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Issue in installing expect and Tcl

Hi I need to install expect in redhat. through net I came to know that I must install tcl too in order to make expect work. I have downloaded both packages but not able to install # ls -lrt total 3720 18:33 tcl8.4.20-src.tar.gz 18:33 expect5.45.3.tar.gz 18:40 expect5.45.3... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use expect and send command in UNIX/Linux?

Hello Everyone, I am executing a unix script which logs into 50+ servers (netapp servers) and runs some commands and captures output locally. Below is the code snippet. file1.txt has names of all the remote servers where I am logging in. #!/bin/ksh #!/usr/bin/expect touch... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

How to install expect after installing tcl on Redhat Linux

Hi, I have install tcl and then expect but I am getting below ouput while trying which expect which expect /usr/bin/which: no expect in (/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin) I have copied both in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish_1678
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problems installing expect utilty

Hi all, I am trying to install expect utility on RHEL 5. It is showing that we also need to install tcl also in order to run it. I have downloaded expect from Tucows Tucows Download - Download Expect 5.32.1 and tcl from SourceForge.net: Downloading ... Can someone please tell me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help Installing UNIX

I have a dual boot - XP and Solaris 10 on my Intel Box. Since quite sometime now, I have been trying to get a driver for the Network card on my box so that I can connect to the Web through Solaris; but Solaris does not have a generic driver for my Gigabit Ethernet 10.100.1000 T-base card. As a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tubbyrana
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Unix

Hello, I am a compete beginner to Unix, I have a very old HP 9000 class D server and i am trying to install HP-UX 11i on it, when i insert the cd into the cd drive on the Server and boot it up it does not automatically boot into the install of Unix. I have tried letting the Server boot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eoghanlee
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing unix

hey, i downloaded a version of unix just recently in three files about a gig a piece in size. the website told me to merge the three files into one iso file...i did that using the xtra wizard on alchohol 120%. i tried to boot it from the virtual drive, but all it does is open a window that shows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: retrop_ffilc
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing unix.

Hi, I want to go and learn unix, I order to achieve this task I need to install unix on my machine. I am currently using a Dell Inspiron 6000, which is about a year and a half old. Currently I have 20GB of free space. It has been recommended to me that I simply partition my hard drive... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike55
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Installing expect

Hi, I have solaris 8 installed in my intel machine.(pentium 4).I'am planning to learn expect.Can somebody help me in giving relevant sites for that.I beleive we have to install TCL also for expect.Can somebody throw light on installations of both TCL & expect? thanx in advance, raj. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sounder123
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing Unix

Hi all, I just joined this forum and I have tons and tons of questions! Lets start with first one, how to install unix (on laptop)? I bought this book (Unix System Administrator's Bible) and got a CD (Full distribution copy of FreeBSD 2.2.5); and it is all compressed (I got that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nchauhan
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question