Unix Raw file system

Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Unix Raw file system
# 1  
Old 06-11-2007
Bug Unix Raw file system

Hi,
Can you please tell me on how to create a raw file system in Unix.
If any documentation is there reagrding the same , please send me the link.
Raw means filesystems which are not mounted.
It is commonly used for Oracle data files.
I would like to know more about its creation.

Last edited by preethi mathew; 06-13-2007 at 01:53 AM..
# 2  
Old 06-11-2007
The question is vague, what do you mean by "raw" ?
# 3  
Old 06-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysgate
The question is vague, what do you mean by "raw" ?
http://www.oracle-training.cc/oracle...aw_devices.htm
# 4  
Old 06-18-2007
Bug

Is it possible to use(create files and dirs) a logical volume on which filesystem is not created and which is not mounted?
# 5  
Old 06-18-2007
AFAIK no. Raw devices can only be used for files, which are controlled by the Oracle software: datafiles.
"Standard" files and directories must be stored on a normal filesystem.
# 6  
Old 08-05-2007
what you mean by raw file system?are u meant for creating a new file system in a logical volume?
# 7  
Old 08-05-2007
Actually, it is wrong to call it a raw 'filesystem'. The moment a filesystem is created on a device, it ceases to be raw. A raw device is basically a character/block disk device on which no filesystem has been created.

The process and commands involved in creating a raw device will differ for each OS. On Solaris, for instance, you just have to create a new slice on a disk and then label the disk. In HP-UX, you have to create a new volume in LVM.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX file system to Linux file system migration

We would be migrating UNIX file system to Linux file system. We do have many directory and sub directories with files. after migrating unix to linux file system , i want to make sure all the files has been copied ? What would be the best approach to validate directory ,sub-directory and file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balajikalai
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX FILE SYSTEM

Dear All, We are using COMPAQ DS -10 machines with UNIX 4.0F System is behaving abnormal some directories shows full and they should not be . here is df -k output of a machines file system----1024 block-----used--available--capacity--mounted on /dev/rz17h-----8680793----- 1 --- ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akash.jahangir
1 Replies

3. Fedora

Raw File System

Hi! This is my first post!!! I'm sorry if i will have mistakes in english... feel free to correct me :) -------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a SanDisk Flash Drive 16GB. He is in RAW file system. The files in the drive doesnt importent and i just want... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: efid845
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I check if I have raw filesystem on unix/linux

Hello again. Please can someone tell me how can i check if my filesystem is raw on unix/linux ? Is there some file to check or something like that to be sure ? also , when i do : $ ls -l /dev/rdisk i get among other things , this also(there resides are oracle related files) : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

5. Programming

compare XML/flat file with UNIX file system structure

Before i start doing something, I wanted to know whether the approach to compare XML file with UNIX file system structure. I have a pre-configured file(contains a list of paths to executables) and i need to check against the UNIX directory structure. what are the various approches should i use ? I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
6 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

RAW File System

Hi Guys, I'm a windows user.......... I got a hard drive that windows recognize as a RAS FS ....and I don't know what is RAW file system ... can you help me guys ??? is there any way that I can access the data written on this drive from windows 2000 operations system ??? Thanks & Best... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: night1901
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I send a file as an attachment (gzip file) on a Unix system

Hi, How do I send a file as an attachment (gzip file) on a Unix system ? Using sendmail. Please help me. :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lacca
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question