Alert to be triggered

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Alert to be triggered
# 1  
Old 09-02-2010
Alert to be triggered

Hi,

I need an alert to be triggered if any filesystem(imagine there are n no of filesystems) reaches more than 90%, it should send an alert to the mailbox stating which filesystem is at what percentage. How can I achieve this in unix?

Many thanks.
# 2  
Old 09-02-2010
Either by using cron and custom home scripts, or using monitoring tools available...
There are a few open source out there e.g:
About Big Sister

MRTG NAGIOS etc...
# 3  
Old 09-03-2010
Thanks Vbe!!!

And how can we achieve through unix shell scripting?
# 4  
Old 09-03-2010
The command and output format for disc space enquiries varies.

Please state what Operating System you have , what Shell language you prefer (not "csh") and show a sample command and output.

There is much variation in email commands, notably in the syntax for commonly used commands such as "mailx". Please show a sample email command which works (changing anything confidential like the actual email address).
# 5  
Old 09-06-2010
OS which I use Linux and the shell is bash. mail command is working and the sample e-mail id: venkatesh.t@in.xx.com

Desired Output:
---------------

If any filesystem crosses more than 90%, it should send an e-mail alert to the e-mail id specified.
# 6  
Old 09-06-2010
... and the sample command you use to find out free disc space and sample output from that command?
# 7  
Old 09-07-2010
df is the sample command and here is the output:

Code:
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hd4
                       1032088    263272    716388  27% /
/dev/appl
                      15126920   7612436   6746076  54% /appl

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Email need to be triggered

hi, Currently, in my code, the errors are written in log file. Additionally, i need to trigger the email of error captured. can we modify this script with email triggered along with existing command. echo "ERROR: $SCRIPT: $*" >>$LOGFILE (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gowthamsoft
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripts triggered via 'expect' - stderr lost

I have a bash script on server that runs fine when run interactively and writes stderr output to a file. However, when invoked through a 'expect' script run on Mac OS my laptop which does ssh to the server : generates the expected file, but file has no content. I suspect the stderr is getting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sdudc
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Windows exe file fails when triggered from ssh

Hi, I am triggering a windows exe file using the below command. ssh user@remoteserver command.exe -option1:xx /option2:yy This command is working fine from windows command prompt. When I am triggering the same command from ssh I get the error message cant load Any ideas to deal with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Current triggered time to epoch seconds

I have a requirement to find long running instances for notifying the stake holders based on the triggered time in AIX. I am not sure how to convert the triggered time to epoch seconds. For example : Current triggered time of instance is 13:06:19 -> how to convert this into epoch in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandu123
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture output of command triggered in background

Is there any way to trigger a sequence of commands in parallel and capture their output in variables? e.g. something on the following lines x=`echo "X" &` y=`echo "Y" &` z=`echo "Z" &` so that $x, $y, and $z evaluate to X, Y and Z res. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect command when triggered by launchd

Hi folks, Im having trouble with an expect command in a shell script I use to back up mac os x servers. This one is being run on a 10.8.2 Server as part of a larger bash script. The script executes perfectly all the way through when triggered on the command line, but when launchd triggers it at... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rowie718
4 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

No alarm triggered when backup tape is full

Hi folks, i encountered an issue, no alarm is triggered when the tape is full on the Solaris server. The tape is 72GB. There is an alarm generating shell script in the server, which will trigger an alarm when it detects the tape is full. Hence, I will receive SMS and email alerts. This has been... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimurayuki
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script not working if triggered by scheduler

I have a script that works well if i execute manually using informix user. However, it does not execute properly if triggered using the scheduler (ESP). This is the partial part where it doesn't work. i added some tracing but i can't figure it out. #!/bin/ksh let db_is_up=0... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unexpected results when triggered from cron

Following script gives different results when triggered from Cron compared to when triggered from command line. It is not able to assign values to some variables when triggered from cron. Can any one help? Its a very simple script Script - #! /bin/ksh sFile=$1 sEnv=$2 sWaitFile=$3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumeet
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Even Driven (File triggered) shell script

Hi All I am not an expert at shell programming. But in the process of learning. But I have a requirement it goes as follows : Requirement 1: I have a series of files that keep comming on a unix folder every hour. The files names are different. As soon as a file arrives in this folder I will... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivi_xinu
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question