unable to browse internet in linux (railwire dialup connection)

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers unable to browse internet in linux (railwire dialup connection)
# 1  
Old 09-08-2009
unable to browse internet in linux (railwire dialup connection)

Hi Gurus,
Good morning .
I have a railwire internet connection(dial up).I am able to access internet in windows xp .but in windows xp every time i restart my pc i have to manually right click the "railwire"icon and then click "connect, after this i am just getting connected to the internet. But while starting linux when I am accessing any website it is showing the error that "page could not be found".

So Gurus how can i get rid of this issue.

any suggestion would be appreciated .
regards,
SanjaySmilie
# 2  
Old 09-08-2009
Rail wire works on PPPoE, so you have to configure the connection by providing your username and password provided by Railwire, while configuring the network connections. I have done the same and getting the connection properly on MintLinux. Let me know which version of Linux are you using.

Regards
RK Veluvali
# 3  
Old 09-08-2009
thanks vrk for looking this issue.Basically I am using the red hat linux enterprise edition(2.4.21-4.EL).i have not configured any network connection.
Could you please tell me how to configure it in this linux.

thanks in advance.
# 4  
Old 09-08-2009
Hi Sanjay,
If your Lancard got detected by the OS, it should be showing you an icon in the system tray, right click on the same to get more options. In my system (Mint Linux7, based on Ubuntu) there is an option that reads "Edit connections". On choosing that option a window opened with tabs Wired, Wireless, Mobile Broadband, VPN and DSL. I chose DSL and then clicked on Add, given connection name as Railwire providing user name and password.
With this my connection started working.

Hope this helps.

Regards
RK Veluvali

Last edited by vrk1219; 09-08-2009 at 11:17 AM..
# 5  
Old 09-09-2009
Thanks a lot vrk,i will definitely do the same and let you guys know regarding the same.

---------- Post updated 09-09-09 at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous update was 09-08-09 at 07:50 PM ----------

Hi Gurus,
NO luck for me to use internet in linux through railwire.I configured the network and provided the provider name as "Railwire" and the username and the password and restarted the system and even made the status for that device 'active', still no luck

in network configuration window I only found only one device which I recently made.

I think there should be another device which has to be there by default of ethernate type(but did not find that device).

Could anybody help me to resolve this issue.

Regards,
Sanjay

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Unable to connect to internet on slackware 14.1 (hathway connection)

Hi, I have a wired internet connection of hathway provider. I would like to use the connection on my desktop as well as my laptop. My desktop pc has windows 7 and yesterday I installed slackware 14.1 (full installation) on my lenovo 3000 n100 laptop. Previously I had slacko puppy 5.7... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinakbheed
7 Replies

2. SuSE

Suse Linux 11.4 Internet connection

Hi I am new to Linux. I installed 11.4, it went smooth and everything was working fine. After Update i rebooted the system and all of sudden internet connection is not working. Could any one tell me how to check and change the settings. Rgds Kashch (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kashch
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Tip: How to Configure PPP for dialup for a single machine?

I shall explain how to setup PPP on your Linux machine, so that you can connect to the Internet using an external modem and a Dialup connection. This article explains the setup for the superuser alone (Not normal users).My Setup : My external modem (56kbps) is connected to the Serial Port :... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: EliteHussar
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Internet connection

I got solaris 10 works, but I cannot set up my internet connection. When I ping a website and i open the web browser, it doesn't work. When the installation asked 'Am I in a network?' i answerd 'no'. I think this is my minstake. How can i get Internet, now? I have a ADSL modem (not router).... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unable to connect to INTERNET using BSNL Broad band connection on Solaris-x86

Hi, Iam using BSNL broad band connection and i have installed two OS Xp & Sun solaris -x86 on my machine.Iam able to use INTERNET on windows Xp but not able to do it on solaris x86. I have tried using DHCP concept as well as sys-unconfig command in solaris but no results. When i use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayaprakash
5 Replies

6. BSD

Internet connection with PC BSD

Hi friends! :) I have got an Acer laptop. in one of the partion's I have got PC BSD installed. I am new UNIX user coz first I was using Windows, so I am still learning it. I only know few commands, and I find it very interesting. Unfrtunately, when I log into PC BSD, I can't connect to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dubbio123
3 Replies

7. Linux

setting up internet connection

I'm having fedora core4.I have a ADSL modem and can access through Windows.I tried setting up internet connection in linux using setup command and netconfig,but doesn't work. can anybody help me with the steps in detail.also can i use the same ip address as in windows? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: laddu
7 Replies

8. IP Networking

Kermit- dialup and network connection

hi all, Using kermit, i made serial dialup connetion between two PCs through telephone line and transfered files trough this line. The code appears as like this, set modem type generic #Setting the modem type. set modem data-compression on #Data compression on to speed up transfer.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcsaji
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

solaris internet connection

Hi everyone, I just installed Solaris 10 in my PC. However, once I finished installing it, I lost my internet connection. When I switch to windows, the internet can run smoothly. Does anyone know how to set up internet connection in Solaris ? I am so sorry, I am new in UNIX (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: qqq
7 Replies

10. Solaris

Internet Connection via Lan

I have a sun wokstation running solaris 9 , I want to configuring my lan card to access internet . my IP address : 192.168.144.20 ISP gateway : 192.168.144.1 DNS address : 202.56.250.5 all helps will be appreciated thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: una
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question