scsi sda device not mounting !!

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users scsi sda device not mounting !!
# 1  
Old 11-12-2004
Question scsi sda device not mounting !!

I have a small scsi memory disk device that my computer claims is a /dev/sda mount type.. and I have mounted it in the past.. but I just recently reinstalled my whole system to check out a couple of things on my database. including the scsi device and now I can't get it to mount.. i tried to mount it in windows i get a com1 not available message.. I have windows mounted on my linux and niether seem to be working..
i tried this
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /usbdrive/
"no such device"
mount -t nfs /dev/sda /usbdrive/
"mount not mounted on host:dir"
i have alot of information on the device and need to download it to the system and then format it.. any ideas??
any feedback welcome
thanx moxxx68
# 2  
Old 11-12-2004
I think you need to have the scsi module built in the kernel.

Run 'dmesg|less' and see if your sda is actually recognized by your Linux box.
# 3  
Old 11-12-2004
it says it recognizes it..
scsi sda mass storage device>>>
by the way
thanx for answering and welcome... to Unix.com

Last edited by moxxx68; 11-12-2004 at 06:39 AM..
# 4  
Old 11-12-2004
Thanks. Smilie

With "scsi sda mass storage device>>>", does it tell any partition just after it?

You can always check with /proc/partitions to make sure.
fdisk -l would do too.
# 5  
Old 11-12-2004
it says something about sectors... and 125mb storage capability but thats as far as I can make of it.. I am still a little new to unix in certain areas.. ..
# 6  
Old 11-13-2004
If you do an 'fdisk /dev/sda' and then type 'p' to display the partitions, what do you see?

Taking the answers from above, are you able to run fsck against the partitions?
# 7  
Old 11-13-2004
unable to open /dev/sda ...
and if i fsck it
i get this:
/sbin/fsck /dev/sda
fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Legacy Ultra60 with Solaris 5.7 SCSI device reverse engineering

I'm looking for help with a legacy system. I have some obsolete equipment connected to an Ultra 60 running Solaris 5.7 with the binary for a 32 bit driver. The driver is rejected by newer versions of solaris, which run 64 bit kernels. I hope to reverse engineer the driver so that I can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: obsoleteStuff
0 Replies

2. Ubuntu

device size mismatch after mounting

Hi, I have a created a logical partition sda5 in ubuntu server 9.0.4. which is Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Disk identifier: 0x00053d78 Device Boot Start End ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rac_oradba
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

Mounting a USB device with a predetermined name

When I attach a USB storage device to my Solaris server, the mount point is coming up as /rmdisk/unnamed_rmdisk Is there anyway I can have this device come up as a mounted device with a predetermined mount name eg /morespace rather than unnamed_rmdisk ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
0 Replies

4. Linux

mounting usb device

Hi Folks, I want to know how to mount usb device (cd,dvd etc) in linux, Regards, Manoj (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Notice: STP:SCSI tape 0 device 46/0 offline

My tape drive is not backing up my data. This is the message that comes up as the computer starts up each morning. Notice Stp:SCSI tape 0 device 46/0 offline. The computer is equipped with a Seagate STD 24000N internal tape drive and the green indicator light on it continuously is on but the amber... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: timothymhubbard
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Notice Stp:SCSI tape 0 device 46/0 offline

My computer which uses scoUNIX, has an internal scsi tape backup. It will no longer backup . It posts this message Notice :Stp tape 0 device 46/0 offline. This has been discussed before by the forum and I'd appreciate any help that any expert could provide for me for a step wise approach to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: timothymhubbard
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NOTICE: Stp: SCSI tape 0 device 46/0 not ready

If somebody solve this error please help! Thanks in advance! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: FCollet
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NOTICE: Stp: SCSI tape 0 device 46/0 offline

:( If anyone has solved this problem, please help me! Thanks in advance! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: FCollet
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting a flash device

How do you mount a USB flash drive on Sun Blade 2000 or 2500 with solaris 8? Thanks in advance ;) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xeroxtechnician
1 Replies

10. Solaris

mounting an external scsi tape drive

hi- I just installed a quad gigaswift ethernet scsi card to my sunblade 150. I checked with the docs, and got all of the required drivers on the box. Now, I'm trying to mount an external scsi tape drive with no luck. I set the scsi address on the external drive to 0. Here's what I'm coming... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ECBROWN
9 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question