How to Compare Null values??

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to Compare Null values??
# 1  
Old 05-18-2009
How to Compare Null values??

Hi,

Can someone help me comparing Null values.
Scenario is as follows:

I have a variable which "cache_prd" which can have either some integer or nothing(Null)

if it is integer I have to again do some comparision but these comparisons give me this errorSmilie "line 32: [: 95: unary operator expected"

To avoid this I used another variable chk= which has null value in it but again at some point when integer comes in variable it gives me same error.

Please suggest me how to catch this error.

Thanks in advance,
Yagami
# 2  
Old 05-18-2009
NULL does not compare to anything, including itself. So, we have two variables $a and $b:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
if [[ -z $a  || -z $b ]] ; then
   echo "cannot compare"
else
   if [[ $a -eq $b ]] ; then
             echo 'equal'
   else
       if [[ $a -gt $b ]] ; then
            echo "$a is greater than $b"
       else
            echo "$a is less than $b"
       fi
   fi 
fi

Is that what you mean?
# 3  
Old 05-19-2009
If you are aking about shell variables...

Code:
[[ "$a" = "$b" ]] && echo equal || echo not equal

# 4  
Old 05-19-2009
The OP wanted to compare integers. I think.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing null values in awk

Hi, I have a csv file with given details abc.txt 123,ra,point,,there 232,ba,points,home,pheer I want to get those values and store them in different variables: Code: while read line do echo $line |awk -F"," '{print $1" "$2" "$3" "$4" "$5"}'|read dbt_acct val_dt crncy AMT... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulsk
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace null values in csv with zero

Hi, i have another issue: i have three files: FILE 1 ServiceEventHandler, Processed,Percentage 5285337,100% FILE 2 Wallet, Processed,Percentage 5285337,100% (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reignangel2003
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File values alwaya null

Hi All , below is my shell program. !/bin/sh set -x #---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- # Program : weekly_remove_icd_file.sh # Author : # Date : 04/06/2013 # Purpose : Execute the script to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sort with null values?

Hello everyone I am doing a join command. Obviously, before I need two files sorted first. ( Both files have headers and have about 2 million lines each one ) The problem is, one of the files has null values in the key to sort (which is the first filed ). For example I have the original... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: viktor1985
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values in two files. For matching rows print corresponding values from File 1 in File2.

- I have two files (File 1 and File 2) and the contents of the files are mentioned below. - I am trying to compare the values of Column1 of File1 with Column1 of File2. If a match is found, print the corresponding value from Column2 of File1 in Column5 of File2. - I tried to modify and use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santoshbn
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting null values

Hi I have a file with the values abc res set kls lmn ops i want to sort this file with the null values at the bottom of the file OUTPUT should look like this abc kls lmn ops (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickyhere
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare null and space using single if condition

Hi I have a input file with many fields and each filed will be with in double quotes(""). i want to check fields contains balnk,null or space using condition using if. when i write code as below for if condition its not working a=`awk -F ',' '{gsub("\"", "", $1);'NF==0';printf $1}'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayakumarrt
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

identifying null values in a file

I have a huge file with 20 fileds in each record and each field is seperated by "|". If i want to get all the reocrds that have 18th or for that matter any filed as null how can i do it? Please let me know (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing the null values in the unix

hi all, iam new to this forum.i have to submit the script EOD.so please help me. my requirement is to compare two null values..iam trying to compare two null values :One null value output of the storedprocedure and another iam giving spaces in script. it is giving the error... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbc17484
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare null with non-null

I've got a very peculiar situation. I'm trying to find out if we can compare null fields with non-null. I've output csv files from SQL and Oracle. I need to compare each field from the files, and then find out any differences. The files usualy have over 500 fields, and send the resule to DBA.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin
8 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question