Confused maybe about MySQL Dump & PHP

Top Forums Web Development Confused maybe about MySQL Dump & PHP
# 1  
Old 05-29-2009
Question Confused maybe about MySQL Dump & PHP

Hello. the purpose of my efforts right now are to get a larger script of mine (which the admin told me he'd put into cron for me) to properly back-up my MySQL database. To test out the sql back-up part (before getting the whole script into cron, and having it not work) I wanted to test it. So here's what I did:

PHP file to do my testing (on the live server)
Code:
<?php

$test = shell_exec('echo $SHELL');
echo "<pre>$test</pre>";

$output = shell_exec('sh ./sqlBack.sh');
echo "<pre>$output</pre>";
?>

Script being called by the PHP
Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/bash

# MYSQL BACKUP:
sql_bDir="./sql_backups/" #LOCATION FOR SQL BACKUPS TO LAND
sql_bName=SqlBackup_$(date "+%A")

echo "The Shopping Cart's database backup will be in $sql_bDir and will be named $sql_bName" #NOTICE OF DATABASE BACKUP
mysqldump -uNAME -pPASS --opt DBASENAME > $sql_bDir$sql_bName.tgz

just for testing, both these files were set to 777 on the server. The output from the PHP file looks just as it should, but then I find the ./sql_backups/ directory empty. I tried the username, password and database of the last line of that script in both capital letters and lower case (read somewhere that capitals works better.. anyways). I'm not experienced with php/mysql.. I found the syntax for that mysqldump line in an article.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!
# 2  
Old 06-02-2009
If he'll put it in a cronjob, you cannot rightly assume what the PWD (present working directory) will be, so that the line:
Code:

Doesn't make sense. You need a full path, or maybe something prefixed with $HOME.

Second, the mysqldump line should be:
Code:
mysqldump -u NAME -p PASS  DBASENAME

Finally, you should understand that the output is not automatically compressed. Do that separately, via a pipe
Code:
mysqldump -u NAME -p PASS  | gzip -c > $sql_bName.gz

Finally, you might gain some performance by buffering the output through a program called "dd". This allows mysqldump to do its work for a longer time before switching over to do the compression.
Code:
mysqldump -u NAME -p PASS DBASENAME  | dd bs=1M | gzip -c > $sql_bName.gz

For my dump, I make sure the dump is done in a "single-transaction" to ensure that the dump represents a recoverable state. (ie, transactions don't take place during the dump). I also send the output to bzip2 for higher compression.
Code:
mysqldump -u NAME -p PASS --single-transaction DBASENAME | dd bs=1M | bzip2 -c >dumpfile

# 3  
Old 06-02-2009
Thanks for the reply!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by otheus
If he'll put it in a cronjob, you cannot rightly assume what the PWD (present working directory) will be, so that the line:
Code:

Doesn't make sense. You need a full path, or maybe something prefixed with $HOME.
good point, I realize that though and I only had ./ in place as something temporary as I do manual tests (easier to type out for testing)

Quote:
Second, the mysqldump line should be:
Code:
mysqldump -u NAME -p PASS  DBASENAME

Finally, you should understand that the output is not automatically compressed. Do that separately, via a pipe
Code:
mysqldump -u NAME -p PASS  | gzip -c > $sql_bName.gz

Thank you, I had failed to read what the "opt" option does (was going on an online article's suggestion to use it that said opt does compression)
This is what i found:
Quote:
o --opt

This option is shorthand; it is the same as specifying
--add-drop-table --add-locks --create-options --disable-keys
--extended-insert --lock-tables --quick --set-charset. It should
give you a fast dump operation and produce a dump file that can be
reloaded into a MySQL server quickly.

The --opt option is enabled by default. Use --skip-opt to disable
it. See the discussion at the beginning of this section for
information about selectively enabling or disabling certain of the
options affected by --opt.
If I don't know what most of those ^ do (as I'm not familiar with MYSQL) would you suggest I just stick with the simpler code you laid out? or will the above options of "opt" not hurt?

Quote:
Finally, you might gain some performance by buffering the output through a program called "dd". This allows mysqldump to do its work for a longer time before switching over to do the compression.
Code:
mysqldump -u NAME -p PASS DBASENAME  | dd bs=1M | gzip -c > $sql_bName.gz

This is really cool, thanks!
Quote:
For my dump, I make sure the dump is done in a "single-transaction" to ensure that the dump represents a recoverable state. (ie, transactions don't take place during the dump). I also send the output to bzip2 for higher compression.
Code:
mysqldump -u NAME -p PASS --single-transaction DBASENAME | dd bs=1M | bzip2 -c >dumpfile

There are more than 8,100 items in our shopping cart. after reading the man I see it is suggested to use "quick" in conjunction with "single-transaction" for large tables. What is a "large" table? Is 8,000+ items considered a large table? If I use "quick" will it defeat the purpose of running the bs=1M option with dd?

Thanks for all your help!!
# 4  
Old 06-02-2009
You don't need to use --opt since it's enabled by default. 8000 items is not a lot. The "quick" option will not defeat the purpose of using bs=1M.
# 5  
Old 06-02-2009
Question

Quote:
You don't need to use --opt since it's enabled by default. 8000 items is not a lot. The "quick" option will not defeat the purpose of using bs=1M.
Thanks so much for your help. I'm trying to test this out on my personal live website's wordpress database first. so I uploaded a test.php file to run the shell script, like so:

test.php
Code:
<?php

$output=shell_exec('sh /home/jzacsh/public_html/private/scripts/dbackup.sh');

echo "<pre>$output</pre>";

?>

the shell script its set to run is:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

sql_bDir=./sql_pickup/

#START SQL BACKUP + TGZ 
echo " " #VISUAL PADDING
echo "# BEGINNING DATABASE BACKUP PORTION:" #VISUAL
    #MYSQL LANDING DIR. CHECK
    echo "Checking if sql backup landing directory exists: $sql_bDir"
    if test -d "$sql_bDir"
    then
        echo "Directory to receive database backup exists"
    else
        echo "Directory to receive database backup does not exist, creating it"
        mkdir $sql_bDir
    fi #ENDIF SQL DIR. CHECK

echo " " #VISUAL PADDING

# MYSQL BACKUP
sql_bName=SQLBackUp_$(date +%A).gz
sql_Path=$sql_bDir$sql_bName

echo "The Shopping Cart's database backup will be:" $sql_Path #NOTICE OF DATABASE BACKUP
echo "Note: If the main backup is backing up the root directory, you do not need to separately download the database backup."

mysqldump -u name -p wppass --single-transaction db123 | dd bs=1M | gzip -c > $sql_Path

then I visit the above ^ test.php via browser and get this output:
Code:

# BEGINNING DATABASE BACKUP PORTION:
Checking if sql backup landing directory exists: ./sql_pickup/
Directory to receive database backup exists

The Shopping Cart's database backup will be: ./sql_pickup/SQLBackUp_Tuesday.gz
Note: If the main backup is backing up the root directory, you do not need to separately download the database backup.

When I download the file its only 4KB, and upon unarchiving the file, I find a Zero KB file, which using "cat" via terminal shows that the file is indeed blank.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong??
# 6  
Old 06-02-2009
1. change sql_bDir to $PWD/sql_pickup/ so we can see where at actually outputs.
2. for testing, turn off compression and skip the dd command... output directly to the file.
# 7  
Old 06-02-2009
Question

Quote:
1. change sql_bDir to $PWD/sql_pickup/ so we can see where at actually outputs.
2. for testing, turn off compression and skip the dd command... output directly to the file.
okay, done. didn't seem to make a difference Smilie (the file still comes out 0 B, just uncompressed)

test.php output:
Code:

# BEGINNING DATABASE BACKUP PORTION:
Checking if sql backup landing directory exists: ./sql_pickup/
Directory to receive database backup exists

The Shopping Cart's database backup will be: ./sql_pickup/SQLBackUp_Tuesday
Note: If the main backup is backing up the root directory, you do not need to separately download the database backup.

source of dbackup.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh

sql_bName=SQLBackUp_$(date +%A)
mysqldump -u jzacsh_jzacsh -p wordpres --single-transaction jzacsh_jzwp  > $PWD/sql_pickup/$sql_bName

actually... just in posting that ^ I realized I haven't checked:
echo $SHELL

...it returned
/usr/local/cpanel/bin/noshell

i'm guessing that means I can't run things properly? (I'm not sure, I obviously had a shell to output a file with and everything... I just wasn't successful in outputting a GOOD file)
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create mysql database with bash script - confused

Hi, i have the following: db="create database xxx;GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON xxx.* TO user@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'password';FLUSH PRIVILEGES;quit;" mysql -u root -p$mysql_pass -e "$db" I don't understand why this is failing, it works fine when run from cmd but when is run in a bash script,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ktm
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't add variable to file name in mySQL dump script

I have a script (below) which works ok, but I have tried to modify it as I want to keep the older files for a restore if needed. I have tried adding a date suffix to the newly created files (second lump of code), but it doesn't seem to work. I get the error: $SOURCEDIR/p1db_$DATEVAR.sql:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ojobson
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP read large string & split in multidimensional arrays & assign fieldnames & write into MYSQL

Hi, I hope the title does not scare people to look into this thread but it describes roughly what I'm trying to do. I need a solution in PHP. I'm a programming beginner, so it might be that the approach to solve this, might be easier to solve with an other approach of someone else, so if you... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
0 Replies

4. Web Development

[php] webpage with login & mysql-db

Hi all, What I was looking for before was a multi-user password manager, web-based! The offer of free or cheap tools of this kind is very pover. Or they are too complex (or too expensive) I'm not a web programmer but I now decided to set up a (php) website with login and based on this login... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibautp
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to break mysql dump sql file

Hi folks I have mysql dump which having insert queries, i want to break that file when 10 complete "INSERTS" lines so extract that line and store in 1.sql and 2.sql and for next 10 insert lines. pls guide me how can i do that. Regards, Bash (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

restore mysql dump file in many remote servers?

Hi all, I want to restore DB file in many mysql servers, i already using script for sending the dumpfile in all servers, but it's just annoying if i have to restore the dumpfile in all servers, i want just execute 1 script, and will restore in all remote mysql servers. I make script but not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blesets
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP & MySQL: sort desending and print

How do i get php to sort the times in a table and print order desending. eg: in the table i have: 02:60.00 02:70.00 02:20.00 02:50.00 in that order in a table how do i get php & mysql to print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perleo
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PHP & Apache & MySQL install how-to ?

how do i install php & mysql with apache on suse linux ??? apache was installed and configured when i installed linux. all its files are in different folders. e.g http files in usr/local/httpd/htdocs/ and its configs are in etc/httpd/ so how do i install php and get it to work with apache and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux/Unix/PHP/MySQL & servers?

Hello everyone! First I would like to say that I am very glad that I found this forum, and by some of the posts I have viewed, I see that I can learn a lot from you all! Secondly, I know next to nothing about Linux/Unix (gotta learn sometime right?) and need some assistance. I am a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kolton
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question