Network User Session

Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Network User Session
# 1  
Old 05-10-2012
Network User Session

dear colleagues,
please help,
i have a linux server (linux 5.3) running oracle 10g database for application.
there are 98 users who are using that oracle application over LAN. but during the working hours the user session is increased (min 150 users) bcos one user is working on different client machines or open multiple forms on a single machine. when the session reached at 145 user become suffering of errors on form or the server does not create more session for any user.
please help me how can i increase the number of session in linux, or guide me if there is any solution to expire the idle (inactive session) after 10 minutes.
your support in this regard will be appreciated.
# 2  
Old 05-10-2012
You could put the following logic into a script:

Managing Oracle Database Processes
# 3  
Old 05-15-2012
thanks for reply, but i already doing this manually.
i want that LINUX (operating system) can do it automatically.
is there any editing required in any file or make a script to automatically closed the user session after 5 or 10 minutes? it is irritating me now.
# 4  
Old 05-15-2012
I'd investigate which limit is hit before starting to kill sessions.
The database limit can be found out by querying the databases parameters:
Code:
select value from v$parameter where name = 'processes'

The os-limit for maximum processes a user can initiate can be found out with:
Code:
ulimit -u

# 5  
Old 05-15-2012
I like to put users in /etc/security/limits.conf

My AV uses up alot of memory when it scans so I restrict the AV user to run all AV related processes at low priority (10 in this case)

Code:
[root@XXx security]# tail -f limits.conf 

#McAfee user process piority
nails           -        nice            10
nails           -       priority         10
# End of file

So if you want to control users login sessions, you will need to use this value maxlogins

Code:
nails        -      maxlogins    <value>

# 6  
Old 05-17-2012
dear cero,

1st of all thanks. dear i've found the value of parameter in db is 150, and ulimit -u value is 2047.
i'm waiting for yur reply.
# 7  
Old 05-18-2012
Abrar,
investigate how many processes are needed for your users (how many of them use more than one session) and add a few (in your case 5) for internal use. For my example how to change the database parameter I'll assume a value of 300. As long as this value is below 2047 you do not need to change anything on os-level.
The syntax to change the database parameter (assuming you work with a spfile) is:
Code:
alter system set processes=300 scope=spfile;

Then you'll need to bounce (restart) your database for this change to take effect.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run a command as soon as user exits from session

I need to write a script, where I have to get names of files that are to be deleted from a user and have to delete those files when he exits session. How to set a particular command to be run as soon as user exits from a session? Can somebody help? I have to write a script on linux system.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yashashri
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Number of process per user session

Hi All, Do we have any option through which we can limit the number of process which can be started by single user session. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
3 Replies

3. AIX

user session restriction

hi, I am facing a problem from the remote system if i login to my AIX5.3 machine as root (thru telnet) the session does not expire for 2 hours even if the session is kept ideal But whenever i do the same thing from some other user then the session is lost within 10 minutes (if session is kept... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchangba
2 Replies

4. AIX

user session restriction

I want to restrict user's loging according to number of session. example the user named "patrik" can be login concurrently from 12 stations thru telnet the 13th if some body tries to telnet 13th session it should not allow, until any of the 12 sessions are closed. is it possibel ...i think... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchangba1
2 Replies

5. Linux

Launch application in gnome session of another user.

A gnome session is launched by UserA of System A, I am connected to userB of System B(or A) through PUTTY. I want to launch an application for eg: gedit through Putty in the display of system A. how can I achieve this. for eg:- root is logged in to System A, with gdm. DISPLAY=0.0, ip =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sivaswami
4 Replies

6. Solaris

kill user session

how do i kill a user session (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fsmadi
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sftp problem with user id of no telnet session allowed

We used to have a ftp user id with no telnet session allowed in server side. We used this ftp user id in script by transferring file from client to Server. Currently we need to implement sftp to replace ftp. We have tested few round and working fine by using sftp with normal user id (allow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: superdougl
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a user session

I logged on yesterday and ran something that made my ID hang. I X'd out of the session and then logged on again and my ID from the original session is still there. I checked again this morning and the ID is still there (I checked using the WHO command). How can I kill that first session using... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrubaker
7 Replies

9. HP-UX

tracing a user's session

hi, does anyone knows how to trace a user session on a unix system: i want to log these things 1- login 2- date of starting session 3- date of closing session i've tryed who and last but they don't give closing time of session regards hmaiida (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmaiida
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

User login session

Having a problem on AIX 4.3.3 with the following error when more than 2 users try and sign onto the server. 3004-312 All available login sessions are in use. ???? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Docboyeee
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question