Need comand or script for append text after searching for the desired string

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need comand or script for append text after searching for the desired string
# 1  
Old 07-29-2014
Need comand or script for append text after searching for the desired string

Hi all,
i have a generated report in unix in the following command like
Code:
  input.txt

the input file format is fixed
I need the my output file with append text as below
Code:
  output.txt
  0124 amount:42.35
  0125 amount:3.5
  0124 count : 8
  0125 Count : 2
  total amount :47.85
  total count : 10

regards,
hemanth saikumar
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment You agreed to the rules when you signed up for this forum. Please use CDOE tags as required by the rules. I have tried adding tags for you this time, but I have no idea whether the tags are in the correct positions. (I don't know if the 1st line of each tagged section is supposed to be in these files, or is supposed to be the name of the file containing the remaining lines.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 07-29-2014 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Add CODE tags.
# 2  
Old 07-29-2014
What have you tried so far? Why don't you use code tags as required by forum rules? You're with us for more than a year and a half!
# 3  
Old 07-29-2014
i have joined again in this forum one day back ..as iam in different stream iam unable to follow this forum ....so... if u know please guide me...

regards,
vasa saikumar.
# 4  
Old 07-29-2014
OK, understood. But still: what did you try, and why no code tags?
# 5  
Old 07-29-2014
iam generating the input file through a tool and storing it in the unix server now i have to append the text as i mentioned below
output.txt
Code:
  0125 Count : 2

Last edited by rbatte1; 07-29-2014 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: Added CODE tags
# 6  
Old 07-29-2014
Please use code tags: highlight the contents of output.txt and click the editor's code button. This is mentioned in clear text just above the editor window.

For your problem (which you do not seem to have tackled yourself yet), try
Code:
awk -F, 'NF<3   {next}
                {ITM[NR]=$1
                 AMT[NR]=$2
                 CNT[NR]=$3
                 TOTA+=$2
                 TOTC+=$3}
         END    {for (i=2;i<=NR;i++) print ITM[i] " amount:" AMT[i]
                 for (i=2;i<=NR;i++) print ITM[i] " count:" CNT[i]
                 print "total amount:" TOTA 
                 print "total count:" TOTC} 
        ' file
0124 count:8
0125 count:2
total amount:45.85
total count:10

I actually don't understand how your total amount of 47.85 is calculated...
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:
# 7  
Old 07-29-2014
hi thanks for the code i am using my tool to calculate the total...

had one doubt i have to do null check for the same
like if i had
Code:
  0125 amount:0.00
  0125 count:0

then those particular things shouldnot be get printed
like my output should ne
Code:

output.txt

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Needed shell script to append desired text to each line in a file

Hi, I had generated a report in my tool as followsoutput.txt 43.35 9 i needed the script to generate a new file like below i want to append the text to each of these lines of my filenewoutputfile.txt should be Total Amount : 43.35 Record Count:9 Regards, Vasa Saikumar. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Find a String and append a text end of the Line

Hi, I have a File, which have multiple rows. Like below 123456 Test1 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Approver XXXXXX. YYYY 123457 Test2 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Super XXXXXX. YYYY 123458 Test3 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Approver XXXXXX. YYYY I want to search a line which contains PB MO Approver and append... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: java2006
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed! - Cut characters after a text string and append to end of filename

Hi all.. I have several unique files that contain one thing in common, and that is acct#. For all files in the directory, I want to append the 10 characters following the word "ACCOUNT:" to the end of the filename. for example: I have file 111_123 that contains ACCOUNT:ABC1234567 The file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cinderella1
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to search for a string and append text only once

Hi I am trying to search for a particular occurrence of a string in a file, and if found, append another string to the end of that line. Here is my file contents: column1 userlist default nowrite=3 output=4 column2 access default nowrite=3 Here is the code: A="user=1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bludhemn
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for a particular string and modifying text within block of data

Hi Forum. Is there a quick way to do the following search/replace within a block of data? I tried to google the solution but didn't really know what to look for. I have the following text file (I want to search for a particular string "s_m_f_acct_txn_daily_a1" and replace the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a text string for n'th :

hello, i'm a novice on bsh scripting so thanks for any help here basically i have a shell var $x that looks like this > echo $x nabc1234:!:73394:17155:Gary Mason:/home/garym:/bin/ksh and i'm trying to keep the first 8 characters and the text from the 4th : to the 5th : i've been trying... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasglm
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String searching and output to a file in a formatted text

Hi, I'm very new to UNIX scripting and find quite difficult to understand simple UNIX syntax. Really appreciat if somebody could help me to give simple codes for my below problems:- 1) I need to search for a string "TTOH 8031950001" in a files which filename will be "*host*'. For example, the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cuji
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string and append text after the string

Hi, I have a file like this... <o t="Batch" id="8410" p="/" g="32"> <a n="name"> <v s="DBBA1MM"/> </a> <a n="owner"> <v r="/Administrator"/> </a> <a n="rights"> <v s="95"/> </a> <a n="debugLevel"> <v s="3"/> </a> <a n="avsStoreLoc"> <v... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kesu2k
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: Searching for a string in a text file problem

Looking for a bit of help. I need to search for a string of words, but unfortunately these words are located on separate lines. for example the text output is: United Chanmpions Ronaldo Liverpool Losers Torres and my script code is print("DEBUG - checking file message"); while... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: meevagh
15 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hi! Searching for a text string in UNIX

Hi! I'm new here and glad to meet everyone! I've been wrestling with a problem lately however! How do I recursively (recursive means to keep going through the subdirectories until no more are there) search a bunch of textfiles in a long directory structure for a specific string.. but only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skwadim
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question