pop out screen with user input

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting pop out screen with user input
# 1  
Old 10-03-2007
Data pop out screen with user input

is it possible to have a small screen pop out on text-unix (no gui unix) and wait for user input?

i have an EOD process that i need to execute, the problem is the developer needs to be properly remove from the system. the problem is, the developer is the boss, you can't force them out of the system until they're done. so, what i'm thinking is to have a screen pop out and ask them to logoff or delay for about 10 minutes or 20 minutes. the reason for this is to be able to script it and no admin intervention. and i can sleep without any problem at night except an error trigger.

is this possible? i need the screen to just dissappear and put back previous screen (just it was and no screwing up the developer screen).

thanks,
venerayan
# 2  
Old 10-03-2007
What system is this?

What console is the user sitting at?

Does the system have wscreens active on the relavent console?

"wall" is your best bet.
# 3  
Old 10-03-2007
I think I will just do this in windows, i think it's impossible to do this in text-unix without screwing up with the developers screen. in windows i can write a pop-out script to tell them to logout on unix so that the EOD will run and backup.

thanks
# 4  
Old 10-03-2007
Do you mean X-Windows?

How are you going to authenticate to use their X terminal?
# 5  
Old 10-03-2007
Bug

no, the message broadcast is on windows xp not x-windows. of course, they're not using one unix workstation each. they're connected to one aix server thru XP/telnet.

when they all agree, i'll send a script from windows 2003 to unix to execute the EOD and backup.

thanks
# 6  
Old 10-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by venerayan
I think I will just do this in windows, i think it's impossible to do this in text-unix without screwing up with the developers screen. in windows i can write a pop-out script to tell them to logout on unix so that the EOD will run and backup.

thanks
How long does your EOD & Backup take to run from end to end ??
If you are tight for time, you may want to consider creating a script which logs off users and kicks off your EOD & Backup.

[my 2 cents] Smilie

Cheers,
Cameron
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

User input and run awk using the input

I am trying to allow a user to enter in text and then store that text in a variable $gene to run in an awk command in which those values are used to run some calculations. I am getting syntax errors however, when I try. Thank you :). The awk runs great if it is a pre-defined file that is used,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update Statement User menu input screen

Hi Guys, Any good reference for me to perform user database update statement on table which has quite number of fields could be updated depend on user specified column name and the value to assign. All the approaches are welcome and appreciated. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ckwan123
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

View on screen text file and enter input

Is the below correct syntax for if the user enters something other than "GJB2 or MECP2, or PHOX2B", then they are shown on the screen format.txt and allowed to enter in one of those formats? Thank you :). Basically, the user can see which formats are allowed and enter a variant while viewing... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script interacts with user , based on user input it operates

i have a script which takes input from user, if user gives either Y/y then it should continue, else it should quit by displaying user cancelled. #!/bin/sh echo " Enter your choice to continue y/Y OR n/N to quit " read A if then echo " user requested to continue " ##some commands... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the user input recursively until the user provides valid input

Hi, echo "Enter file name of input file list along with absolute path : " read inputFileList if then for string in `cat inputFileList` do echo $string done else echo " file does not exist" fi From the above code, if the user enters a invalid file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: i.srini89
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pop the users one by one in sudo cat /etc/security/user

Hi Everyone, When I runthe query in ssh shell sudo cat /etc/security/user , I see half of the users cut down from the display screen. what I want to do is using the somthing like "pop" that when I hit the enter key every time the screen should move to the next user? does some one has any idea how... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: starter2011
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Needing to wait for a line on screen and then give input repeatedly

So I have a weird question for my unix shell script. I wrote a shell script that does several things, but one of the things it does is call an executable. The executable then proceeds to start asking me questions, which it won't proceed until an input is entered. The answer to the questions is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HelpMeProgram
4 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

how to block imap/pop user's login

Is this possible to block particular user's email-client configuration on basis of pop/imap settings in linux ,dovecot.conf or anywhere ?As you know when acl is defined in /etc/squid/squid.conf file according to its http_access users are able to access internet. Before (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeepvson
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

user prompt doesn't pop up with rsh command

Hello All, I'm trying to run some script on other host by using rsh command. This script asking for user id which follows by password requisition. The problem which I faced is that the user requisition prompt never appear. It look like the script is running and wait for the user id to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ronenalalush
1 Replies

10. Programming

get input whithout inputs echoing in screen

I want to write a functionz(work on command line mode) which require user input password , but I do not want the passwd echo in screen , then I should not use scanf() . Which function should I use ? Thank you for helping me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question