How to delete the last node in a linked list.?

Top Forums Programming How to delete the last node in a linked list.?
# 1  
Old 05-07-2014
How to delete the last node in a linked list.?

How to delete the last node in a single linked list given only the pointer to last node ?
Head node will not be given.
# 2  
Old 05-07-2014
Can you provide some sample data?
# 3  
Old 05-07-2014
for example consider the below linked list
42->15->37->76

Now you need to remove the 76 element only the pointer to the 76 element is given.

How do you do this.?

Important point to be noted here is that there is no detail of the previous pointer detail and the head node is not provided.
# 4  
Old 05-07-2014
You can free the struct/object, but it's not possible to properly manage the list without knowing the address of the antecedent.

This is an odd question. Why is your knowledge restricted to only the address of the member to be deleted?

Regards,
Alister
# 5  
Old 05-07-2014
If access to the header of the list is gone, you're out of control of those data.
# 6  
Old 05-08-2014
Code:
void deleteLastNode(struct list *itr)
{
  struct list *tmp;
  if( itr )
  {
     while( itr->next != NULL )
     {
        tmp = itr;
        itr = itr->next;
     }
     free(itr);
     tmp->next = NULL;
  }
}

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to reverse a linked list by traversing only once.?

Program to reverse a linked list by traversing only once. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VSSajjan
1 Replies

2. Programming

Help with linked list.

#include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> struct LinkedList { int val; struct LinkedList *next; }node; /*Creating a structure variable*/ typedef struct LinkedList Node; Node *start = NULL; int create(int i) { Node *temp = NULL; if (start == NULL) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prinsh
5 Replies

3. Programming

how do edit a node in a singly linked list in C?

If i have a linked list in C, how do I edit a node in it? Without ruining the whole list, by this i mean end up making it null or circular... (since it has to be linear and has to stop somewhere):wall: Can some one provide an example, making it have like 5 nodes, and then edit a string of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
3 Replies

4. Programming

How to check if something exists in linked list in C?

i have a linked list set up like typedef struct client_list { char *client_name; int client_socket_fd; struct client_list *next; } client; client *client_list=NULL; before adding to the list i check if it already exists, only if it does not then i add if (client_list==NULL... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. Programming

Help with linked list in C

i have this code typedef struct client_list { char *client_name; struct client_list * next; int client_socket_fd; } client; client *current, *head; head = NULL; char *h="test"; add_client(current, h, head, &client_socket_fd); ... (24 Replies)
24 Replies

6. Programming

I need C++ Code for single linked list

I need C++ Code for single linked list With operations as 1)insert at any position 2)delete any 3)change the data of any position (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
2 Replies

7. Programming

Linear linked list node delete

Given an in-between(any node not at the start and end of the linked list) node within a singly linear linked list, how to delete that node, when head pointer of list is not given? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
13 Replies

8. Programming

linked list node with pointer to struct

Suppose to have: struct Tstudent { string name, surname; int matriculation_num; }; struct Tnode { Tstudent* student; Tnodo* next; } L;I want to deference that "student" pointer. For example, I tried with: *(L->student).matriculation_numbut it not worked, as terminal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Luke Bonham
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List linked files

A perl script that displays the list of files which have multiple links..! ls -l shows number of links in a field. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aadi_uni
0 Replies

10. Programming

Reverse single linked list

Can any one help me in reversing the single linked list and at the same time i want to print the reversed links. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question