what about 'dtp' ?

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers what about 'dtp' ?
# 1  
Old 09-30-2004
Question what about 'dtp' ?

I just wanna transfer a whole directory with files and subfoldes, which also include files....why Ken Thompson and AT&T (the originators of unix) didn't recognize that in the future not only 'one file' (!) should be transfered?

why there's only a file transfer protocol and no directory transfer procotol ?

the cream of the cropy, maybe a joke of the coders, when you are connected via ftp to another pc and enter....

ftp>struct ...there's only a message like " file transfer only, sorry "

I just know the chance of transfering all files of a folder via ftp..
[ftp>mput /users/tmp23/*] ..isn't working. because the destination directory isn't on the remote (/users/tmp23/). first you've got to [ftp>mkdir /users/tmp23/] go to the the local folder [ftp>lcd /users/tmp23/]..and then make [ftp>mput *] but you can't get the subfolders.

there's also not a chance via [ftp>mkdir -p `cat file1`] or so, because ftp then makes only a folder on the remote pc (`cat)...

that can't be true....just only copy one whole folder from local to remote, how to solve this prob?

thx to all....
# 2  
Old 09-30-2004
What about rcp instead of ftp?
# 3  
Old 09-30-2004
You can:

1. ftp a tarball over to the remote machine - unpack it there.

2. use mkdir (an ftp command) then cd to the new directory and send the files

3. Or use rsh or something similar to execute remote commands as Barb indicated.
# 4  
Old 09-30-2004
try:

scp -r <Directoryname> USER@host:<dir_to_place_files>

<Directoryname> being the local directory you want to transfer, which could contain files and more subdirectorys

<USER@host> your username at remote host

Last edited by locustfurnace; 09-30-2004 at 06:50 PM..
# 5  
Old 10-01-2004
Question unknown commands

I haven't got commands like 'scp' or 'rcp'...just don't know why. and also I just don't know if it works when the local is unix and the remote is winnt or if that commands (just don't know where to get...) are only for unix to unix transfers.

probably I'll try a method local pack and then remote unpack. but I don't know if winNT can handle with .tar files. that could be a problem. also it's a shitty way. just wanna make an automatic shell, not always run from one system to the other system, so I could also take discs. how absurd.

'scp' would be the best, but without commands.......
Smilie
# 6  
Old 10-01-2004
Error rcp now nearly working ...

the command remote file copy is now nearly working...

rcp -r /users/tmp administrator@145.2.2.14:d/free works nearly, instead of I'm getting the message 'connection refused'

now I've found out that there must be some files like ".rhosts", "hosts.equiv", "ruser" and so on....anybody knows what to do? I've put the .rhosts (includes +root) in c:\ d:\ and d:\free ..but that didn't make it.

at all, is it possible to make a transfer via rcp from unix (local) to winNT (remote) ?

Last edited by svennie; 10-01-2004 at 06:40 AM..
# 7  
Old 10-01-2004
Data

I've just found out that transfers from unix to winNT via rcp won't work. there's missing a daemon or sth. like that at the winNT system. you could buy it...but that's not my way.

in the end, I'll modify perderabo's automatic recursive ftp script. I just don't wanna lern ksh....hopefully the semantics would run under sh.

by the way, the script is only [ftp from NT to UNIX]...I need an inverted one. is it possible to modify generally?

[https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/9174-recursive-ftp-here-last.html?s=]

has anyone heard of the unix 'send' command? there you could also transfer files...but I didn't find it in the man pages.

greetz..

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread
Login or Register to Ask a Question