Huge dinner party faux paus!

The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Huge dinner party faux paus!
# 1  
Old 09-19-2004
Huge dinner party faux paus!

I went to a dinner party/birthday party type shindig tonight - and ended up in a rather heated debate with a bunch of closed-source (closed-minded) OS-B sysadmins. I was trying to sell open source, and the spirit of community driven OS-A, but was met by a wall of "oh well, if it's open source its easy to hack).

I informed them that open source allows backdoors to be patched before they become an issue, but they were not amused!

I spent three hours ranting about OS-A at them and got nowhere.

They (my wifes friends) were not impressed! Smilie

Anyway - has anyone else annoyed their wives friends by ranting about their favourite OS?

Cheers
ZB

Last edited by zazzybob; 09-20-2004 at 05:20 AM..
# 2  
Old 09-19-2004
Not me. IT OS preferences are like religion and politics.

On these boards, this type of OS religion discussions are not tolerated and quickly moderated.

Are you trolling Zazzybob?
# 3  
Old 09-19-2004
Quote:
Anyway - has anyone else annoyed their wives friends by ranting about their favourite OS?
hehe i dont think that question is trolling much.

personally, i only tell people what i use if they ask me, and most of the time people just say "cool" or, "put that on MY computer!"
# 4  
Old 09-19-2004
I don't know much about trolling. This link seems interesting:

http://www.urban75.com/Mag/troll.html

I actually have very little knowledge of trolling, just heard the term here and there......

Anyway, I just don't want OS religious wars on the board, and for so long, we have avoided them.
# 5  
Old 09-20-2004
I try to aviod talking shop when at parties, etc.

If there are people who want to talk shop, then we generally take the discussion away from the girls (it's the last thing they want to hear anyway).

Have had the odd occassion where some narrow minded individuals have been ignorant of regarding IT issues because of their head-in-the-sand ideals/opinions. You either see it coming or you don't. I tend to drop the line of discussion very quickly with those individuals.
# 6  
Old 09-20-2004
It was never my intention to start an OS war, nor would I be involved in one. I maybe should have made my original post more "generic". Therefore, I have edited my above post to remove any references to particular OS'es.

I was just curious to see if others had been in my situation.

I think at future parties, the computing conversation will be taken away from the dinner table and away from my wife!

And I am definitely no troll Smilie

Cheers
ZB
# 7  
Old 09-20-2004
"heated debates" serve no purpose. When I sense the heat level rising, I bow out and let the hotheads take over. Rather than considering computing off-limits, perhaps "heated debates" should be off limits. And they can arise from any almost any subject. Would a heated debate involving, say, cloning pleased your wife any more?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Third party cron service

Hi, Is there any third party scheduling service like cron or at service which used for scheduling tasks in a specific time. In the same time, is these third party scheduling service (if available) effect the default or the normal crontab service while both are running in the same time (e.g.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
7 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

I use a swivel office chair at the dinner table

Years ago when I saw the movie Witness, I was impressed that the old Amish man used an office chair on wheels to sit at the table. It allowed him to launch and wheel across the kitchen to grab condiments. I just bought myself an office desk chair on wheels to sit at my table so I can easily... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KenJackson
4 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

client auth for jboss using third party certificates

Hi All, I am looking for a way to authenticate clients accesing a jboss application via ssl certificates. Here is what I have don so far: Created CSR using keytool Sent CSR to thawte Received from Thawte the following files: ca-intermdiate.crt and certificate.crt. I assume the intermediate... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariusp
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

third party screenlets are not working

hi, I have downloaded and installed some third party screenlets, when i am launching the liga screenlet i am not getting any thing , even not displaying any thing . and some like "word of the day " "quote of the day " are not working correctly. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saikoushik
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

third party scarlets not working

hi, I have downloaded and installed some third party screenlets, when i am launching the liga screenlet i am not getting any thing , even not displaying any thing . and some like "word of the day " "quote of the day " are not working correctly. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saikoushik
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question