Send sleep to background

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Send sleep to background
# 1  
Old 03-10-2016
Send sleep to background

Hello all,

I've a small script where it checks for the existence of a particular file and sleeps for 5 seconds if it doesn't exist. I would like to send the sleep output to background so that I don't see so many sleep messages in the build output.

Code:
#!/bin/sh -x
until [ -f /tmp/examplefile.txt ]
do
sleep 3
done
echo "File found"

Adding & to the end of the sleep command doesnt work. Any help is much appreciated.

Regards
builderjSmilie

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 03-10-2016 at 10:16 PM..
# 2  
Old 03-10-2016
Linux has the inotify command to do exactly this. What OS do you have?
# 3  
Old 03-10-2016
RedHat 5 and Redhat 6
# 4  
Old 03-11-2016
Any reason you are using the sh -x option? Try leaving that out.

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 03-12-2016 at 02:40 AM..
# 5  
Old 03-11-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderj
I would like to send the sleep output to background
/usr/bin/sleep does not produce any output.....
# 6  
Old 03-11-2016
@rovf : /usr/bin/sleep did not work. Even tried /bin/sleep.

whereis sleep
sleep: /bin/sleep /usr/share/man/man1p/sleep.1p.gz /usr/share/man/man3p/sleep.3p.gz /usr/share/man/man1/sleep.1.gz /usr/share/man/man3/sleep.3.gz

@Scrutinizer : even after leaving our sh -x, it didn't work.
# 7  
Old 03-11-2016
WHAT "did not work"?

sleep itself does NOT produce any output, as rovf correctly stated. And, as Scrutinizer said, leaving out the -x option will stop xtrace output (which, btw, would go to stderr anyway).
If you are talking of the loop just keeps looping frantically, that's because you put sleep into background, peacefully sleeping there, side by side, while the main loop continues and continues and ...
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Send current script to background

Hi scripters, I'm quite used to run commands in the background using & like in: $ myscript &But this is NOT what I'm trying to do today. What I'm trying to achieve is to run a script the normal way (without &), have my script do a little checkup and then jump to background. Something like:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I send output of a background process to a file other than nohup.out?

I have a question. I will be running a background process using nohup and & command at end. I want to send output to a file say myprocess.out. So will this command work? nohup myprocess.ksh > myprocess.out & Thanks in advance guys !!! :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send job to Background after input redirection

Hi, I am having issues with syntax when I am trying to send a job to the background after a input redirection. I have this script which sends some files to different servers after zipping them. Once I execute it, it will ask for user input as of which server the files need to go to. (The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: grep_me
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help regarding sending sleep to background

Hi, can we print anything, when sleep is running..? like printing dots(.. . . . . . . . .) to indicate that some process is going on...? i mean, can we send sleep to background, proceed with printing, till sleep is going on... in s single step. I have written a funtion to solve this. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dpu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send Foreground job to background redirecting output

I have many CPU intensive processes running and sometimes I run them in the foreground so that I can see what the output is. I want to send that foreground process to the background, but also have it direct the output to a logfile. I know to send something to the bg I do Ctrl-z on the FG... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhullbuzz
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrapping 'sleep' with my 'resleep' function (Resettable sleep)

This is a very crude attempt in Bash at something that I needed but didn't seem to find in the 'sleep' command. However, I would like to be able to do it without the need for the temp file. Please go easy on me if this is already possible in some other way: How many times have you used the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

send a new value to a variable in a running background process

Hi guys, I have a issue with a background process, I need to update the value of a variable in that process which is running at this time and it will be running for at least 2 days. Any idea? I will apreciate your help. regards. Razziel. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: razziel
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send password : In Background

Hi All, How to pass the password in background.....? " /usr/bin/hdiutil attach -mountroot -stdinpass /path/to/mount/ /path/of/image/TEST.sparseimage " The above command asks the password to mount a sparse image and when supplied it gets mount. But my requirement is to use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashwin.patil
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sleep - Send Email

Working on a script to look in a directory for a certain file. If the file is not there, check the time. If the time is greater than 10:00, send me an email. If it's not, sleep for 15 minutes and then do this all over again. I can get it to email me if the file's not there without the sleep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dstinsman
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question