Looping through 2 files simultaneously

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Looping through 2 files simultaneously
# 1  
Old 12-09-2009
Looping through 2 files simultaneously

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with a script which should ultimately provide a filename by reading a value from file1 and file2 then join together.

I'm planning to use a loop/ loops to get the values out of both files and create a single string unfortunately the code currently treats the second loop (which is how I have written it to be fair) as nested instead of working simultaneously. The thing is that my sanity is slowly slipping away so I have stripped the code back to try and get a clearer picture. Smilie

The file's contain:

num.txt

first.txt

MRO0122
MRO0112
MRO0112
MRO0113

Currently the code returns:

MRO011365
MRO011365
MRO011366
MRO011367

What I want is

MRO012265
MRO011265
MRO011266
MRO011367

Anyway here's the code:

for update in `cat num.txt`
do
echo $update
for filename1 in `cat first.txt`
do
echo $filename1
truefile=$filename1$update.TXT
done

echo $truefile

doneLet me know if this is post is confusing in it's description and i'll try to provide clearer detail.

Any help will be thoroughly appreciated

I'm off to shoot myself.

Thanks

Chris
# 2  
Old 12-09-2009
You can use awk here:
Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{a[NR]=$0;next}{$0=$0 a[FNR]}1' num.txt first.txt

# 3  
Old 12-09-2009
hi Chris.
did you consider using paste.
"paste" can paste the lines from the two files together.
Code:
 paste -d "" first.txt num.txt

# 4  
Old 12-09-2009
bash
Code:
exec 4<"file1"
while read -r line
do
    read -r s <&4
    echo "${line}${s}"
done <"file"
exec >&4-

# 5  
Old 12-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav1086
hi Chris.
did you consider using paste.
"paste" can paste the lines from the two files together.
Code:
 paste -d "" first.txt num.txt

Code:
# paste -d "" first.txt num.txt
paste: no delimiters specified

To be POSIX compliant.
Code:
# paste -d \0 first.txt num.txt
MRO0122065
MRO0112065
MRO0112066
MRO0113067

# 6  
Old 12-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmero
Code:
# paste -d "" first.txt num.txt
paste: no delimiters specified

To be POSIX compliant.
Code:
# paste -d \0 first.txt num.txt
MRO0122065
MRO0112065
MRO0112066
MRO0113067

hello .
which unix are you using. It works on GNU/Linux though.
Anyways thanks for the info.
Regards
# 7  
Old 12-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav1086
which unix are you using. It works on GNU/Linux though.
FreeBSD, but take a look at POSIX paste man page
Quote:
-d list
Unless a backslash character appears in list, each character in list is an element specifying a delimiter character. If a backslash character appears in list, the backslash character and one or more characters following it are an element specifying a delimiter character as described below. These elements specify one or more delimiters to use, instead of the default <tab>, to replace the <newline> of the input lines. The elements in list shall be used circularly; that is, when the list is exhausted the first element from the list is reused. When the -s option is specified:
\0
Empty string (not a null character). If '\0' is immediately followed by the character 'x', the character 'X', or any character defined by the LC_CTYPE digit keyword (see the Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, Chapter 7, Locale), the results are unspecified.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete files on two remote servers simultaneously?

dear all, i'm preparing a script which can do these actions : 1. stop remove server's certain service 2. clean the files on remote servers simultaneously (because lots of files need to be deleted) 3. after files/logs are removed, restart the service again i'm stuck on how to clean remote... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling 2 files simultaneously with awk

Hello, Is it possible to handle data from two different files at once in awk (latest version and platform is Fedora). I found on the net that we cannot nest awk. My requirement is that I have two similar files : File 1: Name: abc Val = 58 Name: cdf Val = 1; .................. File... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fifteate
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can I create symbolic links for multiple files simultaneously

Does anybody know how to make symbolic links for multiple files simultaneously? Often times I need make symbolic links for multiple files with some common pattern (just like "*.jpg"). Is there a way to avoid making symbolic link for each of them one by one... Thank you! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: danieladna
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping through files

I am writing a ksh which has to load 7 files(.dat files) from input directory into oracle tables using sql loader. The process has to take each file at a time and once if it is loaded succesfully using sql loader into oracle tables then the process has to pick next file and load it into oracle... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpv0002
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming multiple files simultaneously

Hi , I have a large no of files which all end in .asp.htm extension . But for proper navigation between the pages I need to rename all those files as .asp only . How can it be done ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nshailesh
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tailing 2 or more log files simultaneously PERL

Hi, I am having issue where I have to tail 3 log files continuously (forever) and while I am reading the files , parse them and shove the data into DB. I can do this with one file totally fine but how can I read 3 files at the same time? I am not really looking for code (but would be nice) but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dabheeruz
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

simultaneously create three empty files?

I can't get touch to simultaneously create three empty files file1, file2, file3. I tried:$ touch filebut all I got was one file:$ fileWhat did I do wrong? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: na5m
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through files...

I posted this in the Solaris forum, but I don't think it's platform specific, so I'm posting it here. Here is the situation. We are a company that has been using a professional publishing system, the software is called "ProType". It runs on Solaris 2.4, however it is no longer supported and we... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fred Goldman
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse 2 files simultaneously

Say I have 2 files of 2 rows of 3 columns each file1: cat catdata1 catdata2 dog dogdata1 dogdata2 file2: cat catdata3 catdata4 dog dogdata3 dogdata4 and I need to combine both files so that is appears like: cat catdata1 catdata2 catdata3 catdata4 dog dogdata1 dogdata2 dogdata3... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Awanka
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help looping through files, please...

Okay... I've solved one problem. Here's the next. I'm writing a script file that needs to go through a directory and list all files in that directory. I'm using TCL/TK. I figured out how to go through the directory and how to loop through it, but I ran into a little problem. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapolani
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question