change password in one go

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting change password in one go
# 1  
Old 06-08-2008
Data change password in one go

Hi all,

I need to change the password of any user in one go.

For example in Linux we have two options :-

Code:
(echo "username:password") | chpasswd
or
echo $PASS | passwd $USER --stdin

This changes the password without prompting. Actually, I need to make a script which adds a user and then sets a password to it.

I have made it for Linux but now I require it to run on other Unix boxes also. I dont have option to install any other utility like expect. Smilie

Pls can someone give Solaris + HPUX + AIX equivalent of the command.

Thanks in adv.

VIKAS

Last edited by vikas027; 06-08-2008 at 07:26 AM..
# 2  
Old 06-08-2008
Why do you have to create +2 duplicate posts ?

# 3  
Old 06-08-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixmadhan
Why do you have to create +2 duplicate posts ?

hey,

Sorry about it. But I had posted it in different forums as these are OS specific forums.

Will take care in future.
# 4  
Old 06-08-2008
Please do NOT crosspost your questions! I've moved the tread to shell scripting.
# 5  
Old 06-08-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeNuke2
Please do NOT crosspost your questions! I've moved the tread to shell scripting.
OK !!!!!!!!!!
# 6  
Old 06-08-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikas027
OK !!!!!!!!!!
please read the rules...
https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-que...om-forums.html
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies

2. AIX

Change password to blank password

AIX 6.1 User has a password set. It needs to be a blank password (no password). smit passwd enter user name at change password and confirm password, just press ENTER Afterwards, I could not log on with blank password or with original password. How can I change the password to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: landog
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Password Change

When I am trying to change the password of my account. I could see the following error: passwd: Changing password for ramu Enter existing login password: passwd: Sorry: less than 14 days since the last change. Permission denied Is anybody out there who can help me in changing my password? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 8 - Asks for current root password when trying to change root password.

Hello All, I have several solaris boxes running Solaris 8. When changing root passwords on them, all will simply ask for the new root password to change and of course to re-type the new password. One of the systems however asks for the existing root password before it will display the new password... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tferrazz
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change root password using shell script with standard password

Hi Friends. I am new to scripting now i want to change the root password using the script with standard password. which is the easy scripting to learn for the beginner, Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

Hi all, I need to change the password of any user in one go. For example in Linux we have two options :- (echo "username:password") | chpasswd or echo $PASS | passwd $USER --stdin This changes the password without prompting. Actually, I need to make a script which adds a user and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
0 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

how to change password?

for my membershi id in this site. :) Regards Indrajit (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ipzig
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

change password ??

Hey all, How to reset the password to a given user id ?? I used passwd commands, but now for that user there are 2 passwords. i.e the old and new passwords. as : passwd mqcfaostt oldpassword : pass1 new password : pass2 Confirm new password : pass2 Now, su - mqcdaostt is working for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
4 Replies

9. HP-UX

How I Can Change The Password

I need change the password a two user. what're the commands to complete this requerement (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobangarcia
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change password by pushing encrypted password to systems

I'm tasked to change a user's password on multiple Linux systems (RH v3). I though copying the encrypted password from one Linux /etc/shadow file to another would work but I was wrong. The long term solution is to establish an openLDAP Directory service, but for now I'm stuck with a manual... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: benq70
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question