Bash Script to decrypt encrypt log and archive

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash Script to decrypt encrypt log and archive
# 1  
Old 09-26-2011
Bash Script to decrypt encrypt log and archive

Hi

Please see if you have come across any aprts of this. I can read, integrate and syntehsixe. Any help you could offer me would be super. thanks in advance!

Good day.

Thank you for your response in this matter. Here are some further details:

1) scripting is to be in BASH shell programming

2) when targeting a named directory, based on filtering, we will need to:
a) identify the .pgp extension files present (there may be a timestamp before or after the .pgp)
b) archive the received file (.pgp)
c) decrypt the file using GPG (we have the priv key)
d) put the file back into the same directory and archive it as well
Log all activities, delete gpg file from directory only if successful in decrypting

3) when targeting another directory, we will need to
a) archive the file(s) pre-encryption. (based on location (file name) and then on extension
b) may or may not need to timestamp it
c) encrypt the files separately. Here: depending on the directory that the file is present it will be encrypted with a certain key
(a hierarchy of folders will be scanned)
d) may need to timestamp it here (not sure yet if timestamp is needed before or after encryption)
e) archive the encrypted files
f) be sure the new files are in the same directory as the original ones
g) delete the original files from the directory (this may be done by GPG but im not sure), but only delete if the encryption was successful
h) may need to change the rights of the new file
i) log all steps performed or failed on.

4) For each of the archivings done, every week (MON 00:01) a new tarball should be created. Not sure progamatically
what is simpler, but weekly or some like variation (ideally start new MON 00:01 AM) may be the best

As well, it is important to check that the file is not in use when going to encrypt it, or decrypt it.
Not sure what method is best to verify if the file is in use, but this should be checked as well.

thanks for your help in advance!
# 2  
Old 09-26-2011
Really? You're basically asking us to do your work for you? Because this basically is a project proposal, and I don't think you've got any idea on how to do it.

If you do, ask specific questions about certain parts, and show some effort on your part first.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Encrypt and Decrypt a File with Password

Hello, I have few files on unix which are payroll related and I need them to encrypt with password so others wouldn't see the data. I use ETL tool and would like to know the unix command that does encryption/decryption to use in the ETL. Thank you, Sri (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt and decrypt the password in a Shell Script

Hello, I have the following UNIX shell script which connects to the teradata database and executes the SQL Queries. For this, I am passing database name, username and password. I don't want to reveal my password to anyone. So, is there any way that I can encrypt my password and read the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronitreddy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt and decrypt a password in shell script

Hi All, very good morning all. I am trying to connect to informatica repository by using shell script. I have written pmrep connect command in the script file. But i need to provide repository, domain ,username and password to connect. Username and password are hard coded in the script... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SekhaReddy
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt Password file and decrypt in a shell script

Hi All, I have stored Oracle database passwords in a hidden file - .pass_file. My shell script reads the hidden file, gets the password and then logs in to the Oracle database and runs some SQL script. My requirement is: I need to provide the shell script to be executed by someone else. So,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunpraveen
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt and Decrypt

I have script for all oracle prod db. I have hard coded the username / password. I need a mechanism to encode and decode the username / password in a shell script. Another challenge is I use the username and password in a Select command for oracle DB. How can call the decrypted... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilugopal
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt and decrypt a string

Hi, I want to encrypt and decrypt a string(database password) which will be used in my scripts. encrypt the string while storing in a file and while using it in other scripts it should decrypt. i tried below method. As it can decrypt easily, it is not recommended. encrypt=`perl -e 'print unpack... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohan10k
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to encrypt and decrypt a file

How to encrypt and decrypt a file using unix Command? Can any one help me? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt and Decrypt script

Dear Experts, I am using one script name :volume.sh and its written in bash shell script. I just want to encrypt the script so that any one else cannot see it. please tell me the commands how to encrypt the script as well as to decrypt it. Regards, SHARY (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shary
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

encrypt and decrypt password

how do i encrypt and decrypt a password (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanwish
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt & Decrypt a String

Hi Everybody, I have a script that telnet another system. For some reasons, this is should be done by "root", so the root password has been written explicitly in this script, which mean any body read this script will know the root password of the other system. I think the solution is to write... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question