Preventing the sleep mode in Solaris

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Preventing the sleep mode in Solaris
# 1  
Old 06-28-2011
Preventing the sleep mode in Solaris

Hi ,

I am working on a Solaris server which goes to sleep mode if idle for more than 30 min. I have a remote access so that I can access the server from my home too. By the time I go back to my room, it is going to sleep mode so I could see nothing but a black screen. Is there any option to keep it alive all the time using scripts.
# 2  
Old 06-28-2011
Maybe Solaris forum is better, my UNIX never sleeps. Why does it not wake up when you move your mouse or such?
# 3  
Old 06-28-2011
Quote:
I am working on a Solaris server which goes to sleep mode if idle for more than 30 min.
What hardware do you have?
What version of Solaris are you running?
What actually happens when it "goes to sleep mode"? Any messages? Any symptoms? Does an external "ping" wake it up?
Do you see the problem while next to server and before you go home?

First guess is that your server hardware BIOS has one or more powersave options set which are powering down parts of the server after 30 minutes.
Server software installed on a PC maybe?
# 4  
Old 06-29-2011
Hi,
Moving mouse doesnt seem to work. Even if I move my mouse I could see only the black screen. I guess the powersave option is installed and I dont have the permission to change it. Smilie That could be the problem!!!
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Do Linux "Sleep Mode" Problems Happen on UNIX?

I am an experienced MS Windows user who has tried four different flavors of Linux: Mandriva, Centos, Debian, and Ubantu---each on a different PC. (I always used a dual-boot configuration with Grub and Win XP or Win 7). Each time, I encountered the following two problems: While resuming from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjdz
2 Replies

2. Solaris

SSH in maintainance mode in solaris 10

svc:/network/ssh:default (SSH server) State: maintenance since Fri Jan 27 14:19:58 2012 Reason: Start method failed repeatedly, last exited with status 255. See: URL See: man -M /usr/share/man -s 1M sshd See: /var/svc/log/network-ssh:default.log Impact: This service is not running.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinathk
6 Replies

3. Solaris

SOLARIS 10 on SPARC Graphical mode?

Hi, I am in single user mode in command prompt. How can i switch to graphical mode. Is there any command like StartX or WindowsX? Regards Skbrunel (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skbrunel
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrapping 'sleep' with my 'resleep' function (Resettable sleep)

This is a very crude attempt in Bash at something that I needed but didn't seem to find in the 'sleep' command. However, I would like to be able to do it without the need for the temp file. Please go easy on me if this is already possible in some other way: How many times have you used the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris in GUI mode

Hi we work on solaris machines and access them in Command line mode using telnet services. Can they be accessed in GUI mode. If yes please advice as I have came to know that Solaris 9.0 supports GUI mode also. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sukhvinder_Tm
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

my process is going to sleep mode after 12 hours but i need my process in in firsy pr

hi all I process is sleeping after 12 hours but i need to be run this to 24 hours but it goes in sleep mode after 12 hours what should i do to make process always running.Kindly give me suggestion. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukesh_rakesh1
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Remove Server Sleep Mode

Hi All, Need some help here. Can anyone tell me how to set or which start up script to edit in order not to set the server to sleep mode after a while of inactivity. My Unix server will go to sleep mode and then i always end up with a OK Prompt and have to reset the server. My Server is a V120... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvintai
16 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

solaris forth mode?

hi i have a headless ultra 10 server running obp 3.29 i connect to the sever via telnet and i was wondering what is the command inorder to get to the forth mode from a telnet session? is it even possible to get to the ok prompt from telnet or do i need a serial connection? many thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xNYx
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restricted mode (solaris 8)

HI I was wondering how do i get in to the restricted mode in solaris > I can get into the ok prompt ok> or the fourth monitor mode but not the restricted mode > any ideas thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xNYx
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question