Help required regarding Extracting lines from a file

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help required regarding Extracting lines from a file
# 1  
Old 10-12-2005
Help required regarding Extracting lines from a file

I have a file containing the following contents

All of us, including Zippy, our dog
All of us, including Zippy and Zippy
All of us, including Zippy and Zippy and Zelda
Testing All of us Zippy

Now, i wanna grep and get the lines which has only one occurance of word Zippy and starting with "A" . In short, i need a command which should output the lines starting with "A" and having a word which occurs only once.

Can anyone help me please in this regards.
# 2  
Old 10-12-2005
Homework - Thead Closed.

Homework - Thead Closed.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required deleting specific lines from file

Hi, I have a file with 20 columns of data and hundreds of lines of the same format. Here is an example line. The data repeats underneath with the same format. 15 1 4 GLY - 1 65 LYSH 23 N - 24 H - 634 O 0.188 157.552 487 48.70I have been sorting this data by hand but I was wondering if I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: livbaddeley
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting block of lines from a file

consider the input file which i am dealing with looks like this.. #cat 11.sql create table abc ( . . . ) engine=Innodb ; . . etc . . . create table UsM ( blah blah blah ) engine=Innodb ; (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specific lines of data from a file and related lines of data based on a grep value range?

Hi, I have one file, say file 1, that has data like below where 19900107 is the date, 19900107 12 144 129 0.7380047 19900108 12 168 129 0.3149017 19900109 12 192 129 3.2766666E-02 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wynner
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extracting Lines in a file

Hi, We have a file where we need to extract the lines of a file based on the first three characters of every line in that file. Eg: RAM hill station SAM student RAM rose SAM apple RAM india SAM australia RAM happy RAM heaven SAM smile RAM glow So, all the lines that start... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyaranoid
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How get only required lines & delete the rest of the lines in file

Hiiii I have a file which contains huge data as a.dat: PDE 1990 1 9 18 51 28.90 24.7500 95.2800 118.0 6.1 0.0 BURMA event name: 010990D time shift: 7.3000 half duration: 5.0000 latitude: 24.4200 longitude: 94.9500 depth: 129.6000 Mrr: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reva
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting specific lines from a file

hi all, i searched in unix.com and accquired the following commands for extracting specific lines from a file .. sed -n '16482,16482p' in.sql > out.sql awk 'NR>=10&&NR<=20' in.sql > out.sql.... these commands are working fine if i give the line numbers as such .. but if i pass a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sais
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To extract the required lines from a file

I have a files in a directory in this format data data data ---BEGIN CERT----- data data data ---END CERT ----- Now, I want to extract the lines starting from --BEGIN CERT-- and write the contents till the end of file into a new file.How can I do this for all the files in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshg
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting lines from a file

i want to extract lines 5 and 7 from a txt file which contains nearly 20 entries how to do it also i want to check whether the 42nd character is 'S' in that line suggestions welcome (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting the lines between 2 strings of a file

Hi, I have a sql file and i need to extract the table names used in the sql file using a unix script. If i can extract the lines between the keywords 'FROM' and 'WHERE' in the file, my job is done. can somebody tell me how to do this using a shell script. If u can just let me know, how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babloo
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting lines from a file

Hi all, I need to extract some lines from a file based on a condition. For ex: My file will contain 50 lines and i need to extract line which has "File" in it and then the line which has "date" in it. Which command will be the most efficient way to do it. I have tried two ways 1.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeepthanraj
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question