Unix shell script learning

Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Unix shell script learning
# 1  
Old 07-20-2010
Unix shell script learning

I am trying to learn Shell scripting in UNIX. Could Any one please suggest on how to get UNIX account or any other free stimulator available for download on which I can practice Unix shell script?

Thanks,
sam70
# 2  
Old 07-20-2010
Cant you install linux in some partition ? Little space is enough.

Or try Ubuntu from Live CD.
# 3  
Old 07-20-2010
Download and install Oracle (former: Sun) VirtualBox and choose any Free UNIX (OpenSolaris, *BSD, Linux) to install.
# 4  
Old 07-20-2010
# 5  
Old 07-20-2010
Thanks for suggestion. I think cygwin is simplest for me. Can we practice shell script in cygwin?

thanks,
sam70
# 6  
Old 07-20-2010
Hammer & Screwdriver cygwin

I have installed cygwin on a couple of different PC's. And yes, you can use to practice scripting commands - I use it to try and test certain commands.

Have fun...
# 7  
Old 07-20-2010
cygwin's a good way to build a UNIX program in Windows without completely rewriting it; so cygwin lets a UNIX shell run inside windows. But cygwin is written overtop of windows and therefore still subject to many Windows idiosyncrasies(not allowed to open devices more than once; case insensitive filenames; and other things more obscure). Some basic UNIX features may be either implemented in a very strange and roundabout way, or missing entirely(how may consumer versions of windows even have working symbolic or hard links?) And you still don't have basic UNIX tools unless you install them too. It's little use to have a UNIX shell without ls and so forth.

So, cygwin is useful for building and running programs in Windows that'd otherwise require large amounts of modification. But as a teaching tool I think it stinks. It's not a standard environment; the lessons you learn won't necessarily have anything to do with real UNIX behavior.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning project ideas - shell, python, UNIX tools, system administration

Hi guys, I am currently working as a system administration engineer, administering telecom applications on linux/unix platforms. I want to learn new things and improve the ones that i have and for this i though to really work on some project or something but i lack of ideas. I want to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: capitanui
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Book for Learning unix shell scripting reall good

Hi guys I want o learn and understand shell scripting real good, Ive got already some background Due to the fact that there is ton of books with these theme, can you recommend me some good book with with examples explanations, pls no theoretical books :D Thxs (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kl1ngac1k
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning UNIX

Hi Everyone, I know nothing about Solaris / Linux / AIX but I know they are all part of Unix. I have been using Windows the last 15years and I have been a LAN admin, I am now working in IT Operations and we use some solaris commands but not much plus its from following a document so we can't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxie
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning Tips - UNIX Shell Script

Can any one please provide a fast learning tips to learn UNIX shell scripting? Thanks, Gov (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Govindh.v
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

learning unix

Hi, i have started to learn unix (on and off for the past few months) and am wishing to move into that area in the administration field of it. I have been working in the help desk area (desktop support - windows based) for about 2.5 years and moved into a team leading role for 1 year in which i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donnieDarko
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning Unix

Hi all, and thanks for viewing this thread. I have never used the terminal (UNIX) before, not until I read an introductory book about it: Unix for Mac OS X Tiger. Now I've become intrigued, and I want to uncover more of the mysteries of Unix. I've searched and searched, but there are many books... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hin
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

learning how to use shell script

hello everyone, i am still trying to get this script to work, but with no luck. It is a little beyond my knowledge of scripting at the moment. The beginner book i have has an exercise listed that asks me to write a script tha allows for user input. For example " what is your name: " and then you... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bebop1111116
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning UNIX

Hi guys! Am new to this forum so would like to say hello to all. Was wondering, what the best way to learn UNIX was? Theoretically or Practically? Cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibah11
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning to write UNIX Shell Scripts

Hi All, I am relatively new to UNIX. I know some basic commands. I am learning to write shell scripts. My first aim is to connect to a Data Base via shell script. Any ideas on this? Any links, docs which will tell me about scripting?? Thanks VEN (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VENC22
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

where to obtain UNIX and learning on a UNIX variant?

Hi. I've just started to get into UNIX. Researched on the Net, found out that most of the UNIX variants are not offered online. 1. Any of you guys know where I could obtain them on the Net? or anywhere at all? 2. Does learning a UNIX variant enough to cover an understanding of other UNIX... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninelives1980
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question