can't cancel nohup job

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers can't cancel nohup job
# 1  
Old 05-22-2009
can't cancel nohup job

Yesterday I started a nohup job called assoc.sh. It has not finished running, but I have realised a problem with my script, so wish to cancel it, modify and restart it. However, I cannot find the PID, so can't cancel it. I have searched the ps list and nothing resembles my job - how can I cancel it???

Many thanks
# 2  
Old 05-22-2009
use jobs -l to list the back ground jobs

amit@softpc142108 ars $ jobs -l
[1] + 3388 Running nohup amit.sh &

Then u can take back from background using fg

fg %1
here 1 is the id marked in red and 3388 is the process id
# 3  
Old 05-22-2009
jobs -l produces no output, yet I can see the job is still running as new files are being created all the time
# 4  
Old 05-22-2009
How are you trying to find the job?

Code:
ps -eaf | grep assoc.sh

# 5  
Old 05-22-2009
was using
Code:
ps aux | grep assoc

Neither this nor your suggestion find anything

also tried searching for my username and can't see the job
Code:
ps aux | grep epxlp

could it have been renamed by the system???
# 6  
Old 05-22-2009
Well I guess you could try using 'top' to identify processes that are doing something, or 'fuser' to find out the PID of the process writing to the files. Alternatively 'lsof' can also find out for you which PID has the files open for writing, but I usually find it more confusing to use than 'fuser'.
# 7  
Old 05-22-2009
i dont have the fuser or lsof commands and top doesn't seem to show anything relevant

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving nohup output to a file other than nohup.out

Shell : bash OS : Oracle Linux 6.4 I want to save the ouput of a nohup command to file other than nohup.out . Below are my 3 attempts. For both Attempt1 and Attempt2 , the redirection logs the output correctly to the output file. But I get the error "ignoring input and redirecting stderr to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i execute nohup and background job inside the korn script for db2

load_cursor_stmt() { ls /db/admin/ddl/rmn01000/load_cursor*.sql|while read file do echo "${file}" `nohup db2 -tvf "$file" \&` done }Error: ------- /admin/ddl/rmn01000/load_cursor5.sql /db/admin/ddl/rmn01000/load_cursor6.sql + read file + echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nohup - sub job in script not executing until I exit

My job is launched using this command: I'm at home and having VPN drops so I used nohup and background. nohup perf_mon -c rating_4_multi,cfg & The main script is PID 26119, and the sub task under it is 26118 which is not running - just sits there. 26119 runs forever but nothing else runs. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ido1957
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

i want to cancel printing job

hi every body i used " lpstat -o" to show the printer jobs and i already canceld it by "cancel -e -f jobid" but the problem i found when used " lpstat -o" again it said that job in progress i think because it in the buffer but i don't know how to clear the printer. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
9 Replies

5. AIX

Backgroup job using nohup

Hi, I ran a program like following sample.sh & Later I realized that this job will take more hours to complete. Since it consumed 2 hours dat aprocessing and I don't want to terminate and then start the job like nohup sample.sh & Can you please tell me, is it possible to make this job no... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahnazurs
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

stoped job using ctrl+z now want to run in nohup

once i have stoped process by ctrl+z then i want to run it again in nohup plz help me out. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Cron Job... How to cancel it.

Hello, I am sort of new to cron jobs, I have a cron job running everyday that no longer needs to. How do I cancel it? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: komputersman
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

nohup in cron job

Hello, I have bunch of shell scripts, which I want to execute every hour in the background. So I created a script mainscript.sh which executes these hourly scripts in the background. Script goes like this. mainscript.sh #!/bin/sh nohup sh subscript1.sh & nohup sh subscrip2.sh & exit 0 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: papachi_2000
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cancel the massage

Hi all In Aix system Someone know i want to cancel the massage. if some user print something and user root deleting the job i got brodcast message " message from queueing system job number XXX has been deleteing from queue. <EOT> " I use the cancel command (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goldfelda
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission Denied when cancel lp job

Sun E5000 running Solaris 8 I receive permission denied error when attempting to cancel a print job as root, user, or lp. I found a tech tip that said to remove the tcp lp listeners but that didn't help. I can clean the queue using the old sun lpc command but my users need to be able to cancel... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ron Restieri
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question