How to replace variable inside the variable

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to replace variable inside the variable
# 1  
Old 03-21-2007
How to replace variable inside the variable

hi sir,
i need your help for this script

Quote:
USERID=username/passwd
BILLDATE=19-FEB-07
STARTPARTNNUM=101
TOTALPARTN=20
SQLLOG=${BILLDATE}_xMNBDF045_P_CTEL.log
SCRIPT=`cat /rnmucdr/ednms05/ken/xMNBDF045_Script.sql`

sqlplus -s $USERID > $SQLLOG << EOF
WHENEVER SQLERROR EXIT 1
$SCRIPT
EOF
if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
cat $SQLLOG
else
echo "SUCCESSFULLY FINISHED" > $SQLLOG
fi
inside /rnmucdr/ednms05/ken/xMNBDF045_Script.sql content variable like this

select * from invoice where bill_date=$BILLDATE and startNum=$STARTPARTNNUM and total_partn=$TOTALPARTN

if i just paste this replace with the $SCRIPT it works great,if i put script other place with with the variable,and put in the varaible script,it not works because the variable is not subtitute..
can anyone help me to solve this problem,i need to replace it with the parameter given here
# 2  
Old 03-21-2007
try replacing $script by cat /rnmucdr/ednms05/ken/xMNBDF045_Script.sql

like this

Code:
USERID=username/passwd
BILLDATE=19-FEB-07
STARTPARTNNUM=101
TOTALPARTN=20

WHENEVER SQLERROR EXIT 1
cat /rnmucdr/ednms05/ken/xMNBDF045_Script.sql
EOF
if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
cat $SQLLOG
else
fi

# 3  
Old 03-21-2007
Add slash
Code:
select \* from invoice where bill_date=$BILLDATE and startNum=$STARTPARTNNUM and total_partn=$TOTALPARTN

Replace
Code:

by
Code:
SCRIPT=$( eval echo $(cat /rnmucdr/ednms05/ken/xMNBDF045_Script.sql))

# 4  
Old 03-21-2007
syntax error
0403-057 Syntax error at line 1 : `(' is not expected.

for

Code:
SCRIPT=$( eval echo $(cat /rnmucdr/ednms05/ken/xMNBDF045_Script.sql))

If i do this
Code:
echo $SCRIPT

nothing display..only empty line printed
# 5  
Old 03-21-2007
can you show the code in /rnmucdr/ednms05/ken/xMNBDF045_Script.sql?
# 6  
Old 03-21-2007
here is the code

Code:
USERID=USER/pass
SCRIPTFILE=/rnmucdr/ednms05/ken/xMNBDF045_Script.sql
BILLDATE=19-FEB-07
STARTPARTNNUM=101
TOTALPARTN=20
echo $SQLLOG
echo $SCRIPTFILE
SCRIPT=$( eval echo $(cat $SCRIPTFILE))

WHENEVER SQLERROR EXIT 1
$SCRIPT
EOF

if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
cat $SQLLOG
else
fi

HERE IS THE SQL STAMENT /rnmucdr/ednms05/ken/xMNBDF045_Script.sql
Code:
create table acct_to_print_bak as
select BILL_DATE,ACCT_NO,STATUS_CODE,floor((ROWNUM-1)/N)+$STARTPARTNNUM BP_PARTN_NUM,SYS_APPL_ID FROM (
select T1.BILL_DATE,T1.ACCT_NO,T1.STATUS_CODE,T1.BP_PARTN_NUM,T1.SYS_APPL_ID,T3.N from acct_to_print t1,inv_acct_bill_addr T2
,(select ceil(count(*)/$TOTALPARTN) N from inv_acct_bill_addr) T3 where t2.bill_date='$BILLDATE' and t2.bill_date=t1.bill_dat
e and t1.ACCT_NO=t2.ACCT_NO order by T2.postal_code ) T4;
commit;
truncate table acct_to_print;
insert into acct_to_print (select * from acct_to_print_bak);
commit;
drop table acct_to_print_bak;

Any Idea
# 7  
Old 03-21-2007
what's the error you are getting from my code???? And also, remember all the multiple lines will be converted to one line when assignint it to a variable.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to replace a parameter(variable) date value inside a text files daily with current date?

Hello All, we what we call a parameter file (.txt) where my application read dynamic values when the job is triggered, one of such values are below: abc.txt ------------------ line1 line2 line3 $$EDWS_DATE_INSERT=08-27-2019 line4 $$EDWS_PREV_DATE_INSERT=08-26-2019 I am trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeepp
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To print value for a $variable inside a $variable or file

Hi guys, I have a file "abc.dat" in below format: FILE_PATH||||$F_PATH TABLE_LIST||||a|b|c SYST_NM||||${SRC_SYST} Now I am trying to read the above file and want to print the value for above dollar variables F_PATH and SRC_SYST. The problem is it's reading the dollar variables as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abcabc1103
5 Replies

3. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

evaluating a variable inside a variable

Hi there, i think im getting myself a little confused and need some help :wall: I am reading in a bunch of variables to my script from an external file and need to validate that a value has been set for each so if you can imagine, the user is required to pass in 4 values... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable inside variable inside loop headache

Hi Gurus I have a file called /tmp/CMDB which looks like this serial: 0623AN1208 hostname: server1 model: x4100 assetID: 1234 I am writing a for loop that will go through this file line by line creating a variable of itself. Using the first iteration of the loop (i.e. the first line) as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing a variable inside another variable.

Any help would be great. I know this is a dumb way of doing this, but I would like to know if there is a solution doing it this way. I'm very new at this and I'd like to learn more. Thanks! :D:D count=0 while ; do echo "enter your name" read name_$count let count=count+1 done ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reconflux
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed , Replace a "variable text" inside of a statement

Please Help... I am trying to manipulte the following line Before : <user:Account_Password>002786</user:Account_Password> the password is the "variable", i need to delete / omit the password in the file, (it occurs several thousand times) so the tag line looks like After:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackn7
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing a variable inside a variable to a function

I would like to know how to pass a variable inside a variable to a function. sample code below -------------- for x in 1 9 do check_null $C$x ##call function to check if the value is null if then echo "line number:$var_cnt,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KingVikram
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: A part of variable A's name is inside of variable B, how to update A?

This is what I tried: vara=${varb}_count (( vara += 1 )) Thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa3be
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question